Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-31-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
Funnyfarmmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Do you supplement with Vitamin D?

I just took DS to the pediatrician for his 4 week checkup and they asked me if i have been supplementing him with vitamin d drops. He is my only successful breastfed baby so far and so i didn't need to think about this with the others who ended up on formula.

So do you supplement with vitamin d drops.....why or why not?? Thanks so much mamas!

Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do you supplement with Vitamin D?

I do recommend supplementing now. With my first, I thought we could get enough just by being out in the sun some, but now I realize that with sun block, covering up, and bathing daily, we probably actually don't get enough from the sun with our modern lifestyle. So with my second I did supplement. I supplemented myself with 5400 units per day so that LO could get it in my breastmilk. You could also use the drops. If you use drops, I'd recommend the Carlson D-Drops because you only need a tiny drop as opposed to a full dropper like in the popular brands.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
isa's mom
Registered Users
seller

Yes, you really have to supplement with D. If you have any doubts, watch this presentation: . Sorry, I'm a total vitamin D nerd!! :P It's funny and it also explains why we need D and how our bodies came to use sunshine to make it. Since almost none of us get enough sun, and we use tons of sunscreen, we definitely need it. Rickets is actually making a comeback, which is hard to believe. My mother has a baby book from 1934, when they didn't know what D was. But they did know that if babies didn't get sunshine and cod liver oil, their bones wouldn't develop properly. This baby book has an entire chapter on how to sun baby properly so that they are nice and healthy. They say that by the end of the summer, baby should be nice and tan! Can you imagine? Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin that the body can store, so babies (and adults) would get enough D in the summer to last throughout the winter.

It's also important for everyone else in the family. 100 IU's of D per day reduced prostate cancer risk by over 50%, I believe. That's from the video.

Try Carlson's or Biotics, which are just D and no sugar or dye. They should also have more that 400 mcg. I give DD 800.
isa's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
isa's mom
Registered Users
seller

Oh, and I take around 4000 IU's per day. Just had my D levels tested and they are good. It is very hard to overdose on D...you have to take like 1 million IU's per day or something. Also in the video.
isa's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
ChocoMeijin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our ped. told us we should supplement so we have been ever since his 1 week checkup. I think it's necessary for us since we live in a basement and in a colder/darker climate. Not sure how long we're supposed to keep doing it though, I'll have to ask next checkup!
ChocoMeijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:

We don't use sunblock unless we're going to be in the sun for more than 4 hours. So no I don't give the baby vit. D. I do take 2000 iu a day sometimes more if I am feeling depressed.
But I live in AZ and its always time to be outside. In the summer when its HOT we just go outside early in the morning.
I know skin cancer is a big deal, but I feel healthier if I get a nice tan in the summer.
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
almostcrunchy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We use Carlson's drops for baby. They have no dye in them like the more popular brands, and the daily dose is only 1 drop
They are a bit pricey (but it's a 1yr supply). And from what I've been told, Vitamin D does not pass through into breast milk very well.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:00 PM   #8
MamaAbi
Registered Users

Thanks for mentions of Carlsons! Where do you buy them? My little guy gags down the D Visil I got at Walmart because it takes the whole dropper!
MamaAbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:04 PM   #9
somamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I take a tablespoon of this everyday for 5000 units and don't give drops to DS. It tastes good! http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...uct/B002J0M782
and our 3 furbabies (2 dogs & a cat). #2 due in 11/14! Loving life in beautiful Los Angeles.
somamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #10
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our pediatrician said that 15 minutes of filtered sunlight a day is enough Vitamin D for a newborn. I'm going to double check with her about this at our doctor's visit tomorrow. I'm glad I saw this post to remind me!
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote