Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:
anyone with experience with a suspicious mole on LO?

Our 2 year old has had a mole (flat) on the side of his head since he was about 11 months. It has grown and changed, mostly it seems these past few months. We have an appt. later this month for the derm.

Anyone have experience with this? I'm nervous, of course. I'm not thinking they can freeze it off....as it's flat......or if we should just watch it.

Thanks
Deb

Advertisement

debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
~stacy~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: anyone with experience with a suspicious mole on LO?

I'm not sure for that age. There are a lot of moles in my family and the only time i went to the dermatologist was right after my first pregnancy when I had a mole on my neck change in looks, etc. My dermatologist said that the chances of my mole being or becomming cancerous was infinitesimally small. He said that all moles change over time as you age. And he said to look for moles with multiple colors making them up or really ragged edges to them (or if they itch really bad) - things like that are not normal and are signs of cancer. But most moles don't show up at birth, they develop after in toddlerhood, etc and are perfectly healthy/normal. So hopefully you get a clean bill of health from your doc when you see him/her.

HTH!
~stacy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #3
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mama.

When we was at ER a few weeks ago (horrible ear infection...didn't know he had one.....was screaming in pain); the nurse even noticed it on his head and asked if we were doing anything about that.

I'm sure it's best to be on the safe side...kwim?
Old 01-11-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my ds has a large red splotch on the back of his head called a "stork bite" and it has a large flat mole at the bottom of it. we have seen a dermatologist about it and they said as long as the hair on and around it stays the same (ie, doesn't fall out or change colors) then we are probably fine. she said if it changes shape or size significantly or if ds complains of eyesight or hearing problems we need to get him checked out immediately. good luck mama!! you can google it if you're interested
Old 01-11-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
3Xblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ds (then 5) had a mole taken off from behind his ear this past summer. It had all the classic signs so we removed it to be safe. They did put him in twilight because of the location and the doctor did a V cut on it (most derms. do the shave biopsy but we went with an ENT due to his age and the location). They did one internal stitch and the super glue on the surface (if I had to do it over I would stitch the surface however...the glue was a nightmare because it got in the hair). The biopsy came back neg. thankfully.

My dd (6) will be having one removed on her arm soon. We took a wait and watch with this one but it appears to be changing and is making me nervous.

I have had level 4 melanoma (the worst possible) that was luckily caught before it spread but not before I had to have a huge chunk of skin and muscle removed from my thigh. It was a mole that I had been told repeatedly that I didn't have to worry about by lots of derms...but that went south during my twin pregnancy. My father had level 2 melanoma and my grandfather died of it so there is a def. genetic link. I would rather just have anything wanky removed than take the risk.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
kkrpata
Registered Users

My daughter has a mole on her head that looks suspicious to me. She's had it since she was about 1 I guess? I don't really remember when it appeared. DS has one on his ankle also. What our ped told us about the one on DD"s head was that because it's on her head it's more likely to develop into something dangerous, and to make sure she wears a had or bandada when outside. In the summer I put sunscreen on it... They told us that it's probably fine right now, but it wouldn't hurt to take her to a dermatologist to have the size and shape documented in case we thought it started changing. I thought that was pretty good advise
Old 01-21-2009, 06:14 AM   #7
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas...

The fact that it has changed, is my concern. You can see pictures of it (about a year ago) that it was small, now, it's gotten bigger.

Our appt. is on Feb 4.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:57 AM   #8
~stacy~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I would definitely go the "better safe than sorry route" and have it checked out for sure. Hopefully it turns out to be okay.

Good luck on the 4th!
Old 01-21-2009, 07:09 AM   #9
zacks_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I was a baby, I had a mole on the back of my head. At age one, my ped recommended that my parents have it removed. So they had it removed and of course at age one my skull was still growing, which made for a large scar on the back of my head where hair does not grow. (just keep that in mind on a boy)
The mole turned out to be nothing major. However at age 27, I now have had 2 different types of skin cancer removed. If I don't like how something looks or feels, I have it removed. I don't take chances.
So my advice to you is, get a derm consult. If derm says it is fine and if it makes you uneasy, have it removed. (dont let them bully you into having it stay there) If it doesnt bother you or your son, let it be.