Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-25-2014, 05:00 AM   #91
littlegmama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Atheist parents?

Yes and no. We are atheist but I go to a Unitarian Universalist church with the kids for lots of reasons including religious education for them (that's what we do instead of Sunday school - they learn world religions and traditions).

Advertisement

littlegmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #92
amandamcdowell
Registered Users
seller

We are atheist also. It doesn't really come up in conversation around our home though. Family members always send cards "God bless you," etc. but my son is only 4 and not old enough to read really yet so he hasn't started asking questions. He start kindergarden in the Fall of '15 so I am sure he will be bringing home all kinds of questions being that we live in the "bible belt"
amandamcdowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:13 PM   #93
nappiesrus
Registered Users
seller

It's easier to say, "Actually we don't go to church", than to say ,"We don't believe in God". It seems more accepted and people sometimes presume that it means that you are still a believer and therefore ok in their book, or that you have another religion which is also acceptable. We live in a very right wing Christian part of the country and our kids have had to encounter questions at school. We have made sure to educate our children in lots of religions so that they have an understanding that spirituality is very important to some families. We have given our children the choice to believe whatever they want to believe. Even though we are atheists, we still think that the christian values of the 10 commandments are a good rules for life. We have taken our children to several different places of worship, so they know what other people are doing.
nappiesrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:13 PM   #94
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nappiesrus View Post
It's easier to say, "Actually we don't go to church", than to say ,"We don't believe in God". It seems more accepted and people sometimes presume that it means that you are still a believer and therefore ok in their book, or that you have another religion which is also acceptable. We live in a very right wing Christian part of the country and our kids have had to encounter questions at school. We have made sure to educate our children in lots of religions so that they have an understanding that spirituality is very important to some families. We have given our children the choice to believe whatever they want to believe. Even though we are atheists, we still think that the christian values of the 10 commandments are a good rules for life. We have taken our children to several different places of worship, so they know what other people are doing.
I'm sure that this works well for you, but it really bothers me how acceptable it is to be virtually anything except an atheist. People often seem shocked when I tell them I'm an atheist, but I wonder if they are shocked when someone says, "Oh, I'm Jewish." ? There are about 5 times more atheists in the US than there are jews. So why do we seem so rare? I suspect it's because we obfuscate in order to avoid a confrontation--in other words, so that we won't be identified as what we are.

So when someone asks me or my kids I always say, "Oh, we are atheist and very happy with that. Thanks!"

But as you can see from my siggy, I'm taking the out-and-proud approach.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote