Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
clothrookie3
Registered Users
seller

how do i decide on a curriculum?

I know I shouldn't be this stressed over choosing a curriculum. Especially for kindergarten. And maybe a set curriculum isn't even what i'm looking for :shrug: i feel so lost we started out using the PreK from confessions of a homeschooler and 1+1+1=1. DD loved it at first, for about 8 weeks, and then hated doing it. She didn't want to sit or even break it up into smaller segments throughout the day. Now she's just doing a workbook I found at walmart. She does 3+ pages a day. She decides when to stop. She knows everything in the book. She knows all her letters (upper,lower) and sounds. She knows her numbers about 95% of the time. Sometimes she has to think about it. Other times she immediately knows what they are. I don't want to waste a bunch of money buying another curriculum she won't like and I dont' want to waste time looking for bits and pieces of used stuff. Is there a printable anywhere I can print of what I need to be doing? I printed out the scope and sequence but it's way to much info at one time please help

Advertisement

clothrookie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: how do i decide on a curriculum?

Do you think she is bored with her current choices? My son likes to hide what he knows and so we NEVER know exactly what we need to teach him. At times he will read things on his own, then the next day he will not read the word "is".

What I have found works for me is a bit of bribery. He can do X after he does his schoolwork. It can be as simple as going outside to play but it helps him focus long enough to do what I want him to do. I am just going through with what I want him to learn. Eventually he will get it all.

I am not sure about reproducible on-line. We use a curriculum that I purchased. So it does have a definite end everyday.

Good luck in your search!
Old 04-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Are you just wanting the guidelines for k? If so, you could try the book "what your kindergartener needs to know". It will be easier to understand than what they list out online.

As for curriculum, I think the first step is figuring out what kind of learner she is. Hands-on? Visual? Etc. Do you want a religious or secular program? Deciding some of those basics will help you wade through some of the choices. You'll also need to decide what kind of budget you're working with, and if you want a box set or to piece each subject separately.

Another biggie, of course is whether you and she both feel ready for curriculum. If not, you could always do something casual for now.

As for finding the curriculum, if you decide some of those basics, we may be able to point you in the right direction. You could also try visiting a homeschool co-op and talking with some of the patents there. And if there is one in your area, you could go to a convention and see tons of curriculums in person to help decide what's right for your family.

I hope that helps! I know it's totally overwhelming now, but it gets better, I promise! (Okay....MOST days get better. )
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Are you just wanting the guidelines for k? If so, you could try the book "what your kindergartener needs to know". It will be easier to understand than what they list out online.

As for curriculum, I think the first step is figuring out what kind of learner she is. Hands-on? Visual? Etc. Do you want a religious or secular program? Deciding some of those basics will help you wade through some of the choices. You'll also need to decide what kind of budget you're working with, and if you want a box set or to piece each subject separately.

Another biggie, of course is whether you and she both feel ready for curriculum. If not, you could always do something casual for now.

As for finding the curriculum, if you decide some of those basics, we may be able to point you in the right direction. You could also try visiting a homeschool co-op and talking with some of the patents there. And if there is one in your area, you could go to a convention and see tons of curriculums in person to help decide what's right for your family.

I hope that helps! I know it's totally overwhelming now, but it gets better, I promise! (Okay....MOST days get better. )
this....and also know that no matter how brilliant or wonderful or smart your kid is, there are just gonna be those days when they are "bored" or don't want to do the work. It's just part of life. There are days when I don't want to do my job or I'm bored to tears w/the mundane tasks of my day. But, life, nor school, will be exciting every single minute of every single day. That being said, do what Jen says...find out what kind of learner she is, and that will tell you a lot about what kind of curriculum to get. Find a HS group in your area and chat w/the other moms about what they use. Ask if you can peruse their curriculum stash (trust me....we all have a stash LOLOL). I know for me, if I can get my hands on a curriculum and thumb through it, I'll know in 5 minutes if it will work for us, much more so than just seeing it on-line.

IMO, for K, you just need to cover the basics. there's really no need to get fancy about it. Reading, Writing, Arithmetic. You can squeeze in science and history and any other stuff while you are doing the 3 Rs. Some other things you might enjoy are lapbooks. Lapbooks are a fun, creative way to get a lot of learning done. You can get tons of free ones on-line (google it). Lapbooks are usually book based, so you get tons of reading done. plus they will include math and science and other stuff. they are a really good, and inexpensive option, for K.

hth!
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
clothrookie3
Registered Users
seller

So how do I know what type of learner she is she learns quickly doing something hands on or singing songs or something similar but will this apply to all types of learning? I feel she's more than one type:shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 04-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
DallasK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Have you been to your local library? I have been hs my son who is 10 now and the public library is an invaluable resource.
DallasK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
clothrookie3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasK
Have you been to your local library? I have been hs my son who is 10 now and the public library is an invaluable resource.
We were going for awhile but our library doesn't have the greatest selection. Are you recommending books to read aloud or for homeschool resources?

Old 04-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothrookie3 View Post
So how do I know what type of learner she is she learns quickly doing something hands on or singing songs or something similar but will this apply to all types of learning? I feel she's more than one type:shrug:

She probably is more than one type, most kids are. But you can help pick out where her strengths are, and what kind of curriculum might be more suited to you. For example, Sonlight has !lots! of reading. My Father's World is pretty hands on. Abecka has a lot of sit-down work/worksheets. You can look at her strengths and the curriculum's strengths and see where you maybe need to go.

Just to note, all those curriculums listed are Bible based. If you want secular steer clear of all those. And I'm also not trying to advertise any of those, they're all good curriculums, it's just what suits your family best. And there are also a lot more options than those three.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
clothrookie3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten

She probably is more than one type, most kids are. But you can help pick out where her strengths are, and what kind of curriculum might be more suited to you. For example, Sonlight has !lots! of reading. My Father's World is pretty hands on. Abecka has a lot of sit-down work/worksheets. You can look at her strengths and the curriculum's strengths and see where you maybe need to go.

Just to note, all those curriculums listed are Bible based. If you want secular steer clear of all those. And I'm also not trying to advertise any of those, they're all good curriculums, it's just what suits your family best. And there are also a lot more options than those three.
She doesn't mind MAYBE 1-2 a day sometimes a couple times a week but she's definitely more hands on. Thanks for all yalls help