Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-30-2007, 10:42 PM   #41
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: s/o: Non-vax'ing mama...how often to you take your DC to the ped?

We still do well baby visits. Partially because of Kearnan's special needs, he is always needing a referal for something, and partially to cover our @sses if you know what I mean. I don't want any one to ever say that we are medically neglecting the kids. Esspecially because we are so fringe in so many things. But I probably wouldn't take the kids if we didn't have such a wonderful ped. He was my Dr when I was a kid (and until I got pregnant with ds1 LOL). He is very very laid back and supportive of all of the things we do with the kids. Or maybe he has known me long enough to know better than to fight with me any more. Our discussion about vaxes went something like

Dr "Ok I'll have the nurse get his vaccinations ready and be right back in."

Me "We aren't doing any vaccinations."

Dr. "You mean none today or none ever?"

Me "None ever."

And that was it. There has never been a single other word said about it. He is also a member of DOC (doctors opposing circumcision) and a big believer in extended breastfeeding. He's an all around great guy. So I don't feel pressured or uncomfortable bringing the kids in. With that said though, Tharen was late to his 15month appt and I am considering not bothering with the 18month one at all. It is true that the main reason they want your kids in so often is to give them shots. Once a year seems more than enough unless they need something. And because Kearnan cannot take medicines orally I don't even bother taking him in unless he is so bad that I think he might need hospitalized. Other than for referals to therapists and such. The same theory has carried over to Tharen. I just don't get terribly worked up over small illnesses.

ETA: I have taken Tharen to the Chiro but never Kearnan. I think Kearnan might benefit from some cranial sachral work though. Tharen was born with tortocollis from his position in the womb and during delivery (face up and face presenting). He couldn't turn his head at all to one side. The Chiro did wonders for him. Before that there was a stong chance he was going to need surgery and a helmet to correct the flattening of his head. But the chiro worked him all out. I used the same one I used for me during my pregnancy. He is really good, but not cheap. My father recomended him to me. I need to go back to have my hips fixed.

Advertisement

Last edited by iris0110; 05-30-2007 at 10:45 PM.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:48 PM   #42
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Only if they're really sick and I think they need meds. Also, my 4 yr old has a small heart murmur (vsd) so he goes to the Heart Clinic and is seen by a cardiologist from Childrens Hopsital once a year.

We don't do well baby visits. Why take my "well" kids to an office full of germs and illness? I weigh/measure them at home and they are happy and healthy.
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:51 PM   #43
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Quote:
2- No group childcare - daycare, church nurseries, or health club daycares
How long does he suggest you follow this guideline? Never group daycare, church, etc?
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:18 AM   #44
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mama for all the info. I still haven't made up my mind. He has an appt next week and I am going to take him to that one. I guess it will depend on their reaction when I tell them we are not vax'ing.

Charlene Keala 9.27.10, Zakary Michael 10.25.12 & Lillian Hikialani 10.25.14 ~

Baby "Teo" due December 2016 || Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:08 PM   #45
Punkymom
Registered Users

We don't vaccinate. We rarely go to the ped. Neither of my kids have been in over a year. They haven't been sick enough. Most of the stuff they come down with (flu, colds, etc) I can treat at home with natural remedies. I monitor temps and I leave them alone until they get over 102. Ok so that was probably more than what you asked for. Going to the Dr is for when they are sick. I can monitor my children's weight and progress at home. I don't need a Dr telling me that my child is growing. I do take them to the well baby check ups until around the 2nd birthday or so. I don't see how taking your non vaxed child to the Dr "as soon as they show signs of illness" is really necessary. IMO (1 of many reasons I don't vax) vaccines compromise the immune system so I feel like my unvaxed child has possibly a stronger immune system than if I had vax'd. JMO but it seems odd to me. As far as what to say to the Dr/nurse who wants to vax your child - just hold your ground. It's your child and you have every right to say what goes for him/her. You're doing your child an injustice if you have reservations and don't listen to them, KWIM?
Old 05-31-2007, 12:37 PM   #46
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD won't receive vax till she is 2. We only go to the doc if she gets sick.. once in the past year (sinus infection.) She's had a runny nose that's persisted for more then one week right now and getting icky so we'll probably go back again.

I weigh and measure her at home every 6-8 weeks to make sure she's staying on her growth curve, and that's about it.