Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2007, 01:17 AM   #11
milehighmonkeys
Registered Users
Formerly: ultconsumer

Re: Swimming with a toddler

This is the program we used: http://www.infantswim.com/

DD does not use any flotation devices and can swim competently at 2. If she ever fell in the water, she would know how to flip onto her back to get air immediately. I think the flotion devices give a false sense of security and false sense of confidence. DD went to one aquababies class. If I'd known more about ISR at the time, we wouldn't have taken her at all and I don't recommend it. In my opinion, it trains children to wait in the water in a vertical position until they are lifted out by a parent. Most baby/toddler swim programs have the parent "dunk" the child vertically and then lift them back out. Very dangerous if the child were to ever fall into water. I won't blab on anymore about it. I suggest you check out the website and form your own opinion.

Advertisement

Last edited by milehighmonkeys; 05-31-2007 at 11:10 AM.
milehighmonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:55 AM   #12
Steve's Wife
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultconsumer View Post
This is the program we used: http://www.infantswim.com/

DD does not use any floatation devices and can swim competently at 2. If she ever fell in the water, she would know how to flip onto her back to get air immediately. I think the floation devices give a false sense of security and false sense of confidence. DD went to one aquababies class. If I'd known more about ISR at the time, we wouldn't have taken her at all and I don't recommend it. In my opinion, it trains children to wait in the water in a vertical position until they are lifted out by a parent. Most baby/toddler swim programs have the parent "dunk" the child vertically and then lift them back out. Very dangerous if the child were to ever fall into water. I won't blab on anymore about it. I suggest you check out the website and form your own opinion.
That looks really great. I wish there were some near me. Looks like Arizona is where they started. Closest one is over 3 hours away. I wonder if there is a similar program around me?
Steve's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:08 AM   #13
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve's Wife View Post
That looks really great. I wish there were some near me. Looks like Arizona is where they started. Closest one is over 3 hours away. I wonder if there is a similar program around me?
See if you can find a Red Cross one. That's what we did (no infant swim classes anywhere near here!). They were taught how to flip on their back, go to the side and hold on when they fell in. It was really good for DD. She knows to go to the side and can definitely hang on to the side without anyone holding onto her.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:01 AM   #14
AngelMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I taught ds last year (he was about 20 months old) how to get into the water the right way by himself, hold on to the side, and move across the wall to get to the ladder and out. He loved it. We tried "swimming lessons" but it was boring for him. The instructor said if he was older that he was definately ready for level 2 (this was pre-swimming lessons), but that even level 1 started at age 4 and he wasn't even 2.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do this year....
Old 05-30-2007, 05:17 PM   #15
Steve's Wife
Registered Users
seller

Does anyone else have any swim programs to recommend? We got Water Babies out of the library but I'm not too impressed. I really want to teach her how to be competant in the water, and there really aren't going to be many swim schools who would teach a not-even 2 year old to swim, I would guess.
Steve's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:26 PM   #16
Lulu
Registered Users

I've been taking DS swimming since he was three months old and now at 20 months he is like a little fish. He goes completely under the water very, very happily and can swim for (very) short distances unaided. He jumps into the water, can surface on his own, and floats for a few seconds. Now he goes to swimming lessons on his own, but that time that I spend swimming with him was so precious! I highly recommend looking into a mom and tot swimming program in your city. Have fun!
Lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:29 PM   #17
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I found a pair of the water wings at a hotel last year when we were moving here. They were still there the next day so I snagged them.

The wings are MUCH better. I have a foam vest thingie too, but my daughter is so small it was popping her in the face and making it harder for her to swim. She's done just fine with her found pair of batman water wings.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:09 AM   #18
milehighmonkeys
Registered Users
Formerly: ultconsumer

Cut from the below link:

http://www.flatoday.com/sections/poo...0507safety.htm

Quote:
Many flotation devices are extremely dangerous, including the most popular ones, water wings that slide up onto the biceps. They can easily deflate or slip off. Parents often use these devices as a crutch and become overconfident about their safety. If a child cannot swim, parents should insist that the youngster wear a Coast Guard-approved personal-flotation device, one that will not come off. Put it on and leave it on.
Flotation devices give a false confidence, but if people insist on using them, please use ones that are more safe.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:35 AM   #19
Rocket
Registered Users

My Mood:

Could you please PM me the website?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelmomma View Post
Hi momma! Good to hear you are getting your little in the water! I am an aquatics director, lifeguard, and certified swim indstrctor, so I love water questions! As a professional, I do not reccomend water wings at all! I can try to find some links to the RedCross website to post later. I can't tell you how many times I have had to rescue a toddler who has come out of their water wings even with attentive parents. The type of vest you describe is also not one of my favorites. What I like the best is a PDF approved by the US Coast Guard, and they make them for the little guys! These are quite nice, the child can't fall out if straped in properly, and if they fall face first in the water, they are designed to put the child in an upright position (unlike some of the swim vests out on the market). Stay away from the vests with the flotation on just one side. When shopping for a PDF, look for the Coast Guard approval on the inside of the vest. That being said, I also highly recomend looking into a mommy and me swim class. They are wonderful, and even though your little one may not learn how to swim right away, it will help them to feel comfortable in the water!
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote