Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-31-2007, 09:49 PM   #11
mom2kdmb
Registered Users
seller

Re: How much should my 15 month old be talking?

I wouldn't worry about it. So many people get caught up with what is "normal" and compare their kids to everybody else's.
Each kid is different and develops at different rates.

Advertisement

mom2kdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:49 PM   #12
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

My daughter is 2 1/2 and she will still go off in a tangent in her own language with some words I can understand tossed in there. I'd be more concerned if he didn't even use his own language. It just takes time, before you know it he won't shut up.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:54 PM   #13
VeggieMom
Registered Users

My eldest only said about 5ish coherent words. (about what dh and I said, we were both first borns). By my third who is now 16mths, we have closer to 12ish. Simply because he picks up on what the other two are saying.

At this point, you should be getting the gist of his ramblings to important things. ie he should be able to get you to get him more juice, nummy (if you are still nursing), maybe even his favorite toy. Through signs or signals and his mumblings. kwim? I guess he should be able to communicate with you in some form is what I am trying to say. That was what our pedi was most concerned with. He explained to us that that was a good sign of language development at this age, especially with a first born.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:59 PM   #14
cowboymommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My older son didn't really talk at all before about 20 months. He did say daaey and mahi for daddy and mommy and maybe 'baaah' for ball but that was just about it, honestly. Between 20-24 months his vocab really took off and it seemed he would double or triple his vocab almost dailey. At 4 years old now, we can NOT shut him up
Old 05-31-2007, 10:11 PM   #15
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Don't worry! It varies so much! At 15 months old my 2nd child could speak complete sentences, but my 3rd child could only say mama. In fact, we taught him to sign at 15 months old because he was so frustrated about not being able to tell us what he wanted that he just screamed for everything.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:38 PM   #16
crunchymomof3
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2boys0608
seller

My Mood:

Thanks momma for posting this .. i was wondering the same thing .. my ds is almost 15 months and really does not say any words at all sometimes he babbles momma/dadda and is now jabbering in his own language .. we are doing sign with him too .. i am glad you posted this i feel better reading all the responses
crunchymomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote