Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #101
Britches~in~Stitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: HS Check In March 4-19

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't checked in for a while .

7mom7- we've had that "lesson" a few times. Around here its often punctuated with overly dramatic cries of "but why!" Fun times.

I've spent the last two weeks complaining about being tired and unmotivated alternated with, "there's so much junk in our house, I'm going to donate it all to charity if no help clean it up!" Then I found out that we're expecting #5. That might explain a bit .

We've been doing the basics, and added in some lapbooks. This week is "the tale of Peter rabbit." Next week is "rachenkas eggs." Today we are going to go to dance then to the local farm supply for our gardening equipment. We're also planting seeds for part of our unit this week.

Does anyone know of a non-creationist based dinosaur unit study/lapbook? I can't seem to find one, and I'm too tired to keep banging my head against the wall. I'll start on it again when we get home later.

Advertisement

Britches~in~Stitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #102
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britches~in~Stitches View Post
Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't checked in for a while .

7mom7- we've had that "lesson" a few times. Around here its often punctuated with overly dramatic cries of "but why!" Fun times.

I've spent the last two weeks complaining about being tired and unmotivated alternated with, "there's so much junk in our house, I'm going to donate it all to charity if no help clean it up!" Then I found out that we're expecting #5. That might explain a bit .

We've been doing the basics, and added in some lapbooks. This week is "the tale of Peter rabbit." Next week is "rachenkas eggs." Today we are going to go to dance then to the local farm supply for our gardening equipment. We're also planting seeds for part of our unit this week.

Does anyone know of a non-creationist based dinosaur unit study/lapbook? I can't seem to find one, and I'm too tired to keep banging my head against the wall. I'll start on it again when we get home later.
Congrats on #5!

Last edited by 2queens&1princenmyhouse; 03-20-2013 at 11:32 AM.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #103
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Where. is. spring. break? Only 3 more days! I hope I make it.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #104
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn1270 View Post
I can feel your frustration Here's my , which prob don't mean much, but I'm gonna give them First of all...It's OK....it's OK that he struggles....It's OK that you are frustrated. Your frustration is just stemming from your love for your child. My DS2 struggles and is always a step or two behind the "norm." I have frequently been judged and verbally criticized by other mamas and educators about how I teach him different things. But I hold fast because I am his Mama and I know what he needs. That being said, you are Keegan's mama. You know what is best for him. Try to take a step out of this box (it is so hard! don't i know it!!), and look to see if what you/him are doing reading wise is really working. If it's not, maybe it's time for a break. Or maybe it's time for a change in curriculum. Keegan can learn just as much, and maybe more given his possible dyslexia, by you reading out loud to him. It will demonstrate to him tracking of words, and it will teach him the words. Point to the words as you read them so that his brain is making an auditory connection w/the word. Also, consider reading most of his lessons to him. I know it's a huge PITA,esp if you have other kids that you are HSing, but try it. His brain may need the auditory stimulation in order to make a connection w/the words. You may try to find a reading/phonics program that he can listen to as well as read. Hooked on Phonics is one, or even Reading Eggs, and Explode the Code has an on-line version (homeschoolbuyerscoop.com has a special on it right now). Many children w/reading disabilities, whether it's dyslexia or some other disability, often times make up for this deficit in auditory skills. So an auditory program might help. And maybe getting some kids books on tape from the library. Our library has books on CD & tape w/the book that the kids can check out and take home. My DS2 really likes them.

I am sorry you are struggling today. I pray it gets better for you. Try to be positive and remember you are his mama and you are doing the best for him. I truly understand what it feels like to be and because your child struggles.
Thanks ladies!! I don't know what I would do if I didn't have other hsers to rant to from time to time.

Right now I pretty much read all of Keegan's lessons to him because he is still young and it ensures that we actually accomplish something that day, lol. We tried hooked on phonics last year, I don't know if maybe he wasn't ready or if the program wasn't for him. I've considered getting it back out but haven't done it yet. Partly because our only tv is downstairs, partly because I just cannot figure out what would be best.

This is what baffles me the most. Today Keegan did fine reading. I was proud of him...he read the bible reader story which had words like mountain, smoked and people and it was fine. I do have to help him, like reminding him of special blend sounds or something, but on a great day he can do it. On a horrid day he can't do anything. I don't get it, so I don't know whether I think what we are doing is working or not.

The whole word approach...not sure how to go about that. It seems like he does remember things on sight better than by phonics, however that also causes lots of problem because then sometimes he will guess a similar word (fog instead of frog, maybe) and not even notice it was wrong. And sometimes he guesses based on context clues...like the word will be little, but he'll say small even though the spellings aren't close and keep right on reading if I don't stop him. How do you properly do a whole language approach? I also think that may be what my DH does, and we'll....he's a poor reader. But I would like to try something different because I'm convinced there's something that would click better if only I could figure out what.

I also go back and forth between "he's young, and he'll pick it up in time" to "this is not working, we've got to do something else." So basically I typed this book to say, I don't know what I even think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mom7 View Post
My son is also farsighted with a lazy eye. He's a +3.5 in his "good" eye and +6.5 in his bad eye. He could use a stronger Rx in his bad eye but the doc doesn't want to bump him up because there's already such a difference between the two. Are you doing any patching? We are patching his good eye 2 hours a day and he's supposed to be doing "near work" like legos, puzzles, or coloring (he's currently playing angry birds on my phone so hopefully that counts too ). The patching is a new thing so it's a struggle to keep it on. Hopefully it will get easier. We have to recheck his eye in 4 months...he's been in glasses about a year now and it didn't correct on it's own. I can tell he's still not seeing very well. His depth perception is off and he's started turning his bad eye out instead of in...trying focus out of his good eye.

We do Hooked on Phonics pre-k with him, not consistently but he does watch the video at least twice a week. You probably know by now what a big fan I am of HOP! I've also heard that kids with dyslexia may read better by sight instead of phonics. Have you noticed that? If so, maybe a whole language approach would work?

DS2 is 3 and I'm hoping we can get this issue corrected before he gets old enough for sports etc. He runs into stuff often and is still pretty clumsy/cautious compared to his peers. I'm sure it's really difficult on Keegan at his age. Poor kiddo and poor mama.
We do do patching. We've been doing it for a few months and it is helping. I kind of suspect they will change his prescription for his weak eye this time because it improved quite a bit last time. He's had glasses since he was five, but his bad eye got worse during that time because the prescription for it was off. The Dr expects really good results from the patching though so I'm optimistic.

I talked to Keegan after I got through being crabby and asked if he had any ideas that he thought would help and how come he thought some days were harder than others. He didn't know or have ideas but it was a good chat and I told him we would talk to the Dr on Monday to see if he had any ideas. I'm thinking about ordering a program designed for dyslexic and seeing what that would do....the Dr has not diagnosed him but I'm pretty sure that's what's going on....I am going to see what he says Monday. I'm really hoping it won't snow US out--our road gets really nasty when it snows.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #105
7mom7
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
We do do patching. We've been doing it for a few months and it is helping. I kind of suspect they will change his prescription for his weak eye this time because it improved quite a bit last time. He's had glasses since he was five, but his bad eye got worse during that time because the prescription for it was off. The Dr expects really good results from the patching though so I'm optimistic.

I talked to Keegan after I got through being crabby and asked if he had any ideas that he thought would help and how come he thought some days were harder than others. He didn't know or have ideas but it was a good chat and I told him we would talk to the Dr on Monday to see if he had any ideas. I'm thinking about ordering a program designed for dyslexic and seeing what that would do....the Dr has not diagnosed him but I'm pretty sure that's what's going on....I am going to see what he says Monday. I'm really hoping it won't snow US out--our road gets really nasty when it snows.
This is really encouraging to hear. We just started patching about a week ago. I was kind of frustrated that they didn't do it last year if it would have helped him...hopefully he's still young enough that we'll see improvement.

I do think you've still got plenty of time to get your son on track. I think you should trust your instincts and get the program for dyslexic children if that's what your leaning towards. I don't want this to come across as bragging but I was always an above average reader and I think my parents did 2 things that contributed to that. 1) they read us classic nursery rhymes with a lot of alliteration and tons of Dr. Seuss 2) we read the Bible out loud as a family every single night- the real Bible, not a children's version. I was probably 6 or 7 reading one chapter a night (my sister and I alternated). I'm sure it took forever but they were patient and never rushed me. It really developed my vocabulary since we started when I was very young and I know it made me a better reader. If you have different religious beliefs obviously that wouldn't work for you but you could still make time to read classical literature out loud as a family. I just think there's something about carving out that time each day as a family and including dad in it. I'm preaching this to myself too because it's something we keep meaning to implement.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #106
7mom7
Registered Users

Jen, I meant to ask how many hours a day you are patching?
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #107
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We did 2 days of school work today because tomorrow is our morning for my Bible Study and classes for the kids. I don't know that any school stuff will get done tomorrow, but we will see.

I got to flip through the MFW1 TM last night, and I am loving it. I am really looking forward to next year, maybe more so than DS is.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #108
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mom7 View Post
Jen, I meant to ask how many hours a day you are patching?
Just an hour a day. But I don't think that Keegan's eyes are quite as bad as your sons. It really is helping though, so even though it's a pain try to keep up with it.

We love reading out loud. We usually read aloud for about an hour everyday. And we've read tons of Dr Seuss, though the kids don't enjoy him quite as much right now. Rachel (who is five) can read lots of those books by herself. We also aim to read the Bible (KJV) out loud everyday....it usually happens but not always. I think reading the regular Bible out loud to your kids is awesome and makes it very easy to understand as they get older, much the same way that you learn a foreign language best when you're little. I do think those things are enriching for all kiddos, but I think Keegan needs some kind of extra boost. Even though we read loads of Dr Seuss and lots of other rhyming books, he still could not pick out/understand rhymes when he was five. That's a huge red flag for dyslexia.

I think one of the things that makes it harder for me is that all things school came very easy to me. Rachel is my mini-me, she talks, acts, and learns just like me. Keegan is DH's mini-me. He talks, acts, and learns just like DH and sometimes that leaves me baffled.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #109
mevans
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn1270 View Post
that's still an awesome deal! i was gonna get the one on HS buyer's coop, but then the zulily came up and I bout died! The deal on zulily ran out w/in 24 hrs. yeah to your deal!! woot!
Yeah, still a good deal, just not as good as the zulily. DS loves doing it though, so I think it's worth it.

I've been hard on myself lately with not doing much "real school". I'm way slacking on science and history! We are doing a little better overall, but still not where is like us to be.
Michelle wifey to Justin, homeschooling SAHM to Kerilynn 3/28/04, Hunter 8/4/06, baby girl Piperann Meadow born 7/19/2011 at 40w5d, and our Great Dane Jess & missing Finley Jonas 7/27/10 ISO: size large Bummis Super Brite covers
mevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #110
Britches~in~Stitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse View Post
Congrats on #5!
Thanks .