Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-30-2006, 09:15 PM   #1
Shadowwolf549
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
PCOS (poly cystic ovary syndrome)

Hi. I'm just wondering if anyone else has this? I do and want to find someway to monitor my fertility and maybe even regulate my cycle (w/o the EVIL bc pills). I have read that you can't use the OPK if your cycle is longer than 35-40 days. My cycle comes 2-3 x year when not on BC. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm already 4 days late for AF and got a BFN this AM w/ an early test (25 mg/dl sensitivity).

Angie N.

BTW I'm on Avandia for insulin resistance too!

Advertisement

Angie Luckiest Lady in the world. Married to SAHD Justin , Mama to Jaden 10/10/03 and triplets Jeremiah , Jaren , Giavanna 09/15/05 and Gabrielle 08/12/13. We are one big, happy, Jesus loving family!!
Shadowwolf549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:35 AM   #2
Blackbirdlane
Registered Users
seller

Re: PCOS (poly cystic ovary syndrome)

there was a pretty big thread about this in the TTC forum a while ago, if you do a search you will find it
Old 12-31-2006, 07:59 AM   #3
dharmama
Registered Users

Both of my sisters have PCOS. There's also lots of info on MDC about it. One of my sisters has tried many alternative therapies and has just started taking Metformin. I really don't know much about this drug but she researched it very heavily and it seemed to be ideal for her.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:24 PM   #4
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

switch from avandia to met.
It is a smiliar drug to help with the insulin resistance, but it is like a fertiltiy drug because thw WAY it helps is different than the way avandia helps. Or, if you want, there is actually a combo drug called "avandamet" which contains both medicines in one.
Metformin is HIGHLY successful for people with PCOS, both for regulating cycles and fertility.
Personally, I would bever use avandia, because I don't need to be any fatter. Taking a drug whose purpose is to create more fat cells in your body is just crazy to me!
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:38 PM   #5
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have PCOS - it took us over 3 years to conceive Nathan - suprisingly Brandon and Evan were both "oopsie babies"! LOL My gyn. called it secondary infertility since we knew I *could* get pregnant and carry to term, kwim?

I found the only way to start ovulating again without Clomid was to lose weight (about 20lbs). I guess it jump-started my system and Nathan was conceived right around the time that dh and I "gave up" TTC.

Metformin is supposed to be a pretty good drug for PCOS. I've found, though, a lot of natural "remedies" work better/faster. Following a diabetic diet, exercise and weight loss seem to be the best non-medical route.

Have you checked out www.soulcysters.com? I found it was an amazing resource and support system when we were TTC Nathan.

mama!

Last edited by Ontariomama; 12-31-2006 at 04:39 PM.
Ontariomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:00 PM   #6
kelllilee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi there. Just wanted to offer some support. I have it and Its a butt. However it is possible to live with and deal with! I have one beautiful daughter and a baby on the way to prove it

www.justmommies.com has a support group dedicated to TTC with PCOS. The girls there are really helpful and supportive and have lots of good information Good luck!
Old 01-02-2007, 04:24 PM   #7
mom2kailinconnor
'Cuz inside out is wiggity wiggity wiggity whack!
seller

My Mood:

I have it! No fun, but managable. I actually am looking for natural remedies as we speak to try and get my cycle back.
mom2kailinconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:08 AM   #8
curious_george
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2hamish
seller

Well.... to buck the metformin success stories.... it never worked for me but avandia did I was scheduled for a second ovarian drilling and went on avandia six weeks prior. We got pg that cycle.

I wish you luck with the ttc. If you are on avandia you might find it helps to read up on diabetic eating habits... and this will help as well. I always found that I had to limit my "white" carbohydrates...

I also tried vitex when ttc hamish. I'm not sure if it helped me but it has a good success rate with others. The opk's don't work if your LH levels are raised ( part of pcos)... waste of money for me. Try looking at charting your cm and temping though.
Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention. -- Sir Francis Bacon
curious_george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:27 PM   #9
Shadowwolf549
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

UPDATE: On Friday I went into the Dr's for some bloodwork. They did a PG test (blood) and BFN! I still haven't gotten my period (CD 41 now). I have all the PG symptoms, but I think it's all in my head (I have convinced myself that I'm preggo several times). I have been charting my mucous and all that. It has stayed the same...thick, milky and sticky (sorry TMI). Anybody know what that means. I'm new to charting. My cervix has been low, soft and slightly open for like a week. Any suggestions?
Angie Luckiest Lady in the world. Married to SAHD Justin , Mama to Jaden 10/10/03 and triplets Jeremiah , Jaren , Giavanna 09/15/05 and Gabrielle 08/12/13. We are one big, happy, Jesus loving family!!
Shadowwolf549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:56 PM   #10
babydogs3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just posted on the TTC about PCOS.

I just went to the gyno today and she thinks I have PCOS. I had bloodwork done and when the results come back she wants to put me on meds.
I've been TTC for about 6 months. I've only had 5 periods in the past year.

I'll be watching this thread to see what I can do to get pregnant. I hate the thought of having to take meds. It makes me feel so much better knowing there are others here with PCOS.