Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2007, 11:35 AM   #1
marisal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm about to scratch all my skin off!

This is my second pregnancy and I am at 20 weeks right now. Everything has been going a lot smoother with this pregnancy (no bedrest, no zillion ultrasounds, no cerclage...) except my skin is extremely itchy! Mostly around the back of my neck which may be due to easy access and little self control. My DH said it looked pretty nasty this morning. If it was a rash, or skin irritation, I have gone right ahead and scratched off all of the little bumps on my neck so it looks bad. I usually don't have sensitive or irritated skin so I'm not sure what to do. Special dandruff shampoos don't help with my head at all and someone had mentioned to me oatmeal, but I'm not sure what to do with it.
Help before I'm skinless!
Marisa

Advertisement

marisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:04 PM   #2
blessed with boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I'm about to scratch all my skin off!

I know you said no dandruff shampoos but I have to use them this pregnancy...it takes about a week for me to notice a difference... Aveeno makes an oatmeal bath maybe you could wet that down and apply it your neck?
Sorry mama that itching sounds terrible.
blessed with boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:16 PM   #3
marisal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great suggestion. I'm also getting irritated spots on my hands and arms and have general itchiness...
Old 01-08-2007, 02:04 PM   #4
kht2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

put a cup of oatmeal....regular or quick cook in the toe of an old kneehigh and tie a not. put it in your bath water and pour it with a cup over all the itchy areas. It really really helps and it's cheap..
kht2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:10 PM   #5
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

call your ob, this is common rash in pgcy and has a name but i cant remember what right now. lol
Old 01-09-2007, 01:29 PM   #6
katiejack
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It does have a name and your should have your blood tested for your liver function (your OB will probably tell you this also if he suspects the same thing as I do). My sister had it with both of her pregnancies - it gets worse and starts showing up sooner with each pregnancy. It has something to do with liver function - the mama's body not being able to keep up with the baby's production of bile and the bile being directly dumped into the mama's blood stream which makes the mama itch to no end! My poor sister (and you). I've seen what scars it can leave (my sister did nothing about it the first time). It can also be dangerous for the baby and usually dr.'s don't let you go over-term due to the increased risk of stillborn. Not to scare you (or maybe this will scare you enough to go to the dr. if you're like my sister), but, get it checked out please. For you and the baby.

Here's what it's called - cholestasis of pregnancy. Here's a website to detail symptoms, treatment, etc.
http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pre...pregnancy.html

At least this is what it sounds like (I'm no dr. though!).
katiejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:34 PM   #7
Shadowwolf549
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you been tested for cholestasis? A lot of times it can make you really itchy and it's caused by a buildup of bile salts in your skin from your liver. You may want to mention it to you OB or MW. It can be serious. Not to scare you, but it's worth looking into.
Angie Luckiest Lady in the world. Married to SAHD Justin , Mama to Jaden 10/10/03 and triplets Jeremiah , Jaren , Giavanna 09/15/05 and Gabrielle 08/12/13. We are one big, happy, Jesus loving family!!
Shadowwolf549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:03 AM   #8
marisal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had no idea this could be a real condition. I have an appt with my doctor next week... maybe I'll call her though today...
Old 01-10-2007, 11:31 AM   #9
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

My friend had that preggo-itchy-rash too. It was AWFUL...and her OB told her that the only 'cure' was to deliver the baby. Of course, not a reason to induce early - but you know what I'm saying. He told her that it would not go away until she gave birth.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:37 AM   #10
ocfb16
Children will forget your presents. They will always remember your presence.
seller

GO TO THE DOCTOR! I had this when I was pregnant, only a very few % of ppl get it so it's not really well known. I ignored it for so long and still to this day have scars where I scratched myself so bad. Mostly in my sleep. I was told it was something ppl get when they are allergic to the placenta and the only real cure was to deliver. But the medicine they give did help with the itching. I also had to buy gloves and put them on my hands at night so I didnt scratch myself all night long.