Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Angry The meds they gave my sister say "DO NOT TAKE DURING PREGNANCY" (seizure meds)

Ok, so I posted the other day about my sister having a seizure and how they gave her meds to take for the rest of her pregnancy... well, I'm on yahoo messenger with her right now (she asked me to post here for her - my parent's computer is slow and doesn't run YM and EI well at the same time LOL) and she says that her meds say "THIS MEDICINE HAS BEEN SHOWN TO CAUSE HARM IN THE HUMAN FETUS" and "THIS MEDICINE IS EXCRETED IN BREAST MILK. DO NOT BREAST FEED WHILE TAKING THIS MEDICINE". Why would they give her this? The med is called Dylatin. I mean, I've heard that there are anti-seizure meds that are safe so why give her one that has been KNOWN to cause harm to babies??? I'm seriously PO'd. This will be the second grandchild in the family and it doesn't need the problems Bram has. And I mean, she was out of it while in the hospital and not one freaking person (my mom, her BF, someone!) asked any questions or questioned what they were giving her to put into her body.

Anyway, does/has anyone taken this med or does anyone know anything about it??? She's seriously afraid to keep taking it but if she doesn't she could have another seizure that could cause her to miscarry.

Advertisement

urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:22 PM   #2
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: The meds they gave my sister say "DO NOT TAKE DURING PREGNANCY" (seizure meds)

Well I'm not sure about other seizure meds that are safe/not safe & I'm not very familiar w/the one you're talking about... but I can say that it's one of the "benefits must outweigh the risks" type of things when it comes to an antivonvulsant. I've got epilepsy so I'm familar w/seizres = NOT GOOD.

I do know a friend that also had my condition & she's taking klonopin & tegretol - both "not good for preggo" meds, but her neuro thinks it's safer for her to be on them. I take Klonopin & topamax now. I used to take tegretol...

If a pregnant woman has a seizure while pregant she can miscarry or even not misacarry & cause harm to the fetus (brain damage, etc). Maybe the doc feels/knows for her specific situation (there are soooooooo many diff types of seizures) that it's best she stay on the med?

Also, safe while preggo & safe while BFing are totally different. I took meds in my pregnancy that are not safe for when I was BFing & vice versa. You have to look at how & where they cross into the baby - is it bloodstream, is it milk, etc. Some meds cross through the bloodstream but aren't excreted into milk... some are excreted into milk but not into the bloodstream so wouldn't pass through the placenta. Also, the half life of a med is taken into consideration as well.

Anyway, I'm sure I just confused you more. Has she gone over this med w/her OB? Or is it just from a neuro?
Old 01-10-2007, 09:24 PM   #3
CourtneyinAlaska
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: The meds they gave my sister say "DO NOT TAKE DURING PREGNANCY" (seizure meds)

No experience here but this link might help. click anticonvulsants

http://kellymom.com/health/meds/aap-...nticonvulsants
Old 01-10-2007, 09:33 PM   #4
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

tell her to ask her OB. Sometimes it's a benefits outweigh the risks scenario, and pharmaceutical co's will try to cover themselves by saying those things whether they are proven or not.
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:18 PM   #5
odenata
Registered Users
seller

Here's a link specifically about Dilantin and pregnancy.

I second that she talk to her OB/midwife/caregiver to see if something else would work or if this is a "benefits outweighs the risks" scenario. When I was pregnant with dd, my asthma got incredibly bad and I ended up on strong medication for it, but the alternative was not breathing. Definitely a benefits outweighs the risks thing for me.
odenata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:29 PM   #6
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for replying mamas...

Yeah, I understand there's a difference but it says "harm to the fetus" so it doesn't sound safe for either, kwim? She hasn't seen her OB though yet, she just found out on Dec. 20 that she was PG and since it was so close to Christmas she wasn't scheduled to see one until after the seizure happened. She hasn't seen anyone yet other than the ER docs. She's seeing an OB next week though I believe.

Anyway, I'm going to go check out those links now.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:15 PM   #7
jessmomto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

but I can say that it's one of the "benefits must outweigh the risks" type of things when it comes to an antivonvulsant.

thats what I was thinking too!

Jess momma to
Skyler 1/03, patrick 4/04, Nattie 8/05 Elliot 2/07
jessmomto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:31 PM   #8
zionnecherub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think she should should get a second opinion just in case. A friend of mine lost her baby because of a blood pressure medication. It too said not to take during pregnancy and it ended up causing slow development, therefor the baby was not ready for life outside the womb when she was born. It is better to be safe than sorry.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:35 PM   #9
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ITA that she should seek a 2nd opinion! Some drs are just STUPID and don't talk to the patient before ordering meds, some patients just assume the dr has your best intrest in mind but they don't always KNOW.
There are SO MANY anti-sez meds its not even funny!! Dilantin is just a very common and what most drs start with when someone has a seizure. Did an MRI show anything abnormal??
Old 01-11-2007, 07:42 PM   #10
luckyduckies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

www.safefetus.com

i hope her ob will be helpful
luckyduckies is offline   Reply With Quote