Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #11
bruenderbaby
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: size of baby determining factor with vbac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherz1982 View Post
Well, I figured I'd update this thread a little. I've been to my new doctor's office and I'll be seeing the midwife group there. I loved the one I saw for my first visit, and overall the experience was very good and the staff was very attentive, so I'm feeling much better and more relaxed about everything. I'm also attending the Bradley classes, and I've read Ina May's guide to childbirth and the Bradley book. And the hospital I'll be delivering at offers free doulas if you request one, and the staff at my new doctors office had good things to say about the program and that they have plenty of them on call. So I'll definitely be taking advantage of that so I can at least save a little bit of money there. The hospital also has some natural childbirth friendly options available like pools, birth stools, balls and bars per their website. I'll be looking into doing a tour of the unit coming up too so I can be a little more familiar with it beforehand
That is awesome! I wish I had all of those options at a hospital near me! I tried talking my DH into a birth center this time (vbac #3) so I could labor/deliver in a tub, but he said 'no'. Luckily, the hospital I am delivering at has great support staff (some of the nurses are also midwives), I just have to make sure one of my ob's partners is not the one there for delivery (he was a major jerk with my last one). sigh . . .

I would love to hear how everything goes, so keep us posted!

Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014, 04:37 PM   #12
PatsFan
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherz1982
Well, I figured I'd update this thread a little. I've been to my new doctor's office and I'll be seeing the midwife group there. I loved the one I saw for my first visit, and overall the experience was very good and the staff was very attentive, so I'm feeling much better and more relaxed about everything. I'm also attending the Bradley classes, and I've read Ina May's guide to childbirth and the Bradley book. And the hospital I'll be delivering at offers free doulas if you request one, and the staff at my new doctors office had good things to say about the program and that they have plenty of them on call. So I'll definitely be taking advantage of that so I can at least save a little bit of money there. The hospital also has some natural childbirth friendly options available like pools, birth stools, balls and bars per their website. I'll be looking into doing a tour of the unit coming up too so I can be a little more familiar with it beforehand
I also strongly suggest that you find your local ICAN chapter for more support. Good luck with everything!
Old 05-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #13
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

my VBAC was my largest baby yet at 9 lb 6 oz.
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:57 AM   #14
mamabby
Registered Users
seller

I didn't have a c section just wanted to add that my last ultrasound before ds was born showed he weighed 8.5 lbs but when he was born was only 6 lbs 15 ounces
mamabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:09 PM   #15
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherz1982
OK, I'm going to a different dr than the one who delivered my 1st baby via c-section. My first dr. said I would be a good candidate to vbac. I'm going to a different dr. this time due to the first one being out of network with my current insurance and I can't afford it. I did go into labor and pushed with my 1st but he was OP and failed to progress I think. My first dr. did try to turn his head but it didn't work.

Anyway, I went for my 2nd visit today, I'm currently 20 weeks. The first visit I saw the nurse midwife and this time I saw the doctor. They rotate who you see each time I think. Anyway the doctor mentioned something about if the baby is "too big" I might need another CS. I asked what is too big and she said over 8.5lbs. My first baby was 8lbs 11oz. I've been trying a lot harder to watch what I eat and not gain too much weight and I've been walking 3-4 times a week. So far I've gained about 12 lbs. I know that lower weight gain doesn't necessarily equal a smaller baby but I figured I'd best try to have as healthy a pregnancy as possible

So should what she said be a red flag to me, I am concerned because I really want the chance for a vbac and I didn't think that the size of the baby should be a sole determining factor. I'm kind of considering switching care providers a little but want some other opinions from mamas who have vbac'ed or attempted vbac before I jump the gun.

Also do you think its a good idea to try to find a doula? I'm kinda thinking trying to find a doula might be helpful if I can afford one.
I know this thread is old, but I'm hoping for my second vbac in November, and I recently asked a perinatologist (high-risk) this question. He also said 8.5 for the biggest. But there are also other factors that play with that such as maternal age, diabetes status, time from c-section, type of contractions, etc. They now say all play a factor in risks for rupture.
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:06 AM   #16
Jomama2005
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabby View Post
I didn't have a c section just wanted to add that my last ultrasound before ds was born showed he weighed 8.5 lbs but when he was born was only 6 lbs 15 ounces
My last u/s said my daughter was 7lbs and she was 9lb 13oz when she was born a week later..
Old 07-02-2014, 10:04 AM   #17
oregonmom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have had 3 VBACs. My two boys were both near 9.5 lbs and my little girl was 8lb 10oz.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:31 AM   #18
bruenderbaby
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommypockets View Post
I know this thread is old, but I'm hoping for my second vbac in November, and I recently asked a perinatologist (high-risk) this question. He also said 8.5 for the biggest. But there are also other factors that play with that such as maternal age, diabetes status, time from c-section, type of contractions, etc. They now say all play a factor in risks for rupture.
The bad thing about perinatologists is that they are LOOKING for problems. I have had two vbacs and should be having a third any day in the next few weeks. My first vbac was 20 months after my c-sec and he was 8.5 lbs. My second vbac was when I was 36 (high-risk age) and he was 10lbs 1oz. They has absolutely no idea he was going to be that big, because there really is no way to accurately know that size of the baby until they are born. I was measuring 'normal' the whole time. Also, I don't see how diabetes is an 'extra' risk for rupture, since all it really does is make a big baby more likely. If you are careful with your diet, that risk drops. And I have never heard of the type of contractions making a rupture more likely (and how do they determine that?) With my last vbac, I went from 6cm to pushing at 10cm in an hour. Talk about CRAZY contractions.

You should do your own research and find a doctor who is willing to work with what you know. I have found doctors don't actually know much about vbacs, because they were trained to automatically do a repeat c-sec. It is very recent that ACOG says vbacs are safer and should be offered.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #19
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I had 2 VBACS within 3 years of my c/s. The largest baby was 9lb2oz. No one ever said anything about their being a size cap.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:00 PM   #20
Jomama2005
Registered Users
seller

My mom had my 13lb brother after she had a c/s, but she did have 5 kids in between the c/s and the brother... Only the first was c/s then 6 naturally.

ISO: wool skirtys (sizes 18 mo and 3mo+), girly PUL, hello kitty fabric, muslin swaddle blankets.
IHA: Crunchy kissa size 0, poly fleece, girly/ gn baby legs, maternity clothes size medium/ large, bamboo belly bandit (small), gdiapers and pouches, osocozy size 1 prefolds, FABRIC, heavy and light weight interfacing.