Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #1
*krissy*
Registered Users

My Mood:
Anyone have this issue?

I'm new here...but thought I would ask you ladies.

18 months ago my third baby ended up needing delivered via c-section. I still find myself a little bitter about the whole situation...and mostly at myself for not sticking up for myself with what I wanted...but you know...when you're a week overdue in the midst of 100-degree weather, it's so hard to be rational and say that you REALLY want to wait another week or two for baby to do his own thing.

So we induced at 41 wks, and things didn't progress. After lots of decels and this and that and me making them wait and wait and wait. 11 hours later I finally sighed, cried, fully let go of MY will...and let them take him.

He's wonderful! He's healthy! He's perfect! And somehow I keep finding myself focused on the bitterness of my delivery instead of the wonderfulness. But ANYWAY!!!

Here I am again 22 wks pregnant - wanting to give a VBAC a try. My dr is on board. BUT at my 20 wk sono, I had an anterior placenta that's edge is lined up along my scar. We're of course HOPING it will move up. But we don't get to check again til 32 wks and in the meantime I'm a mess! I can't decide whether it's a better idea (If the placenta is indeed covering my scar) to still try to VBAC hoping the placenta hasn't attached itself to the scar tissue (b/c apparently they can't diagnose that via u/s. ???) or just swallow my wants again and have another c-section - which could also cause problems. sigh...

Has anyone experienced this (placenta accreta?) Which method did you use? And please don't share someone else's story if they died. Not what I need to hear. Sorry.

Oh! and my dr is very laid back about it all. I'm the only one freaking out...and I haven't been back in yet to see what his suggestions are for if it doesn't move.

Advertisement

Last edited by *krissy*; 02-06-2014 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Adding...
*krissy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
shan1212
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone have this issue?

I'm so sorry you're in this position. I never felt that my c-section was medically necessary, and that makes feeling like it has affected future pregnancies all the more frustrating. Huge hugs!

I've only had one friend with placenta accreta -- she'd had two prior c-sections and a D&C, and this pregnancy was a surprise while on the pill. Mom and baby made it through fine. They did a c-section at 35 weeks, let mom heal a bit, and then did a hysterectomy a month later because her uterus was not salvageable. Not what you want to hear, I'm sure, but I think her case was particularly bad. It was of course very stressful. FWIW, now she feels passionate about educating women to consider VBAC. She never considered it with her second c-section, and of course as moms we all ask ourselves, "What if?" But at the end of the day, I'm not sure what asking "What if?" really does. We all know that having a healthy baby (and mom!) is huge, but it's not the only important thing when it comes to your children's births. So I'm not going to give you that platitude that if you get a healthy baby, that's all that matters. It's totally OK to mourn the experience you wanted and the future consequences of your c/s. I hope you and your doctor get more clarity as time progresses. Fingers crossed that your placenta moves!
Old 02-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #3
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Is it possible to try to focus more on making your pregnancy more enjoyable & less on the method of delivery? I see so many people here who have dreamed of the perfect arrival scenario end up disappointed because their situation could not medically play out to match their dream. Maybe I'm insensitive or missing something (sorry if that's the case). But, all I ever wanted was a healthy pregnancy that resulted in healthy babies. I had an unplanned c-section because it was what was best & to this day I'm thrilled my babies were delivered by the best method for them It was a magical moment!

There are so many factors that can change any delivery at the last moment regardless of wants or carefully laid plans. I just hate that so many women end up feeling disappointed over the arrivals of their babies.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:55 AM   #4
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I just want to emphasize that I truly did not intend to sound insensitive, although I fear I may have came across that way. I hope you can understand the good intent I meant to communicate, but probably did not take long enough to explain well.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
*krissy*
Registered Users

My Mood:

You're totally fine! No offense taken at all. And you're completely right!

I know I shouldn't feel this way...but...it's there. Poo.

But anyway - thanks for the advice! It's so true! I guess my concern really lies in my safety. Am I going to hemorrhage? For reasons unnecessary to this discussion we don't use birth control, and while we will do our best to be careful to abstain. It doesn't always work out for us (hence our four kids we have. lol) And so what IF that happens and "one of these times" someone doesn't end up making it or making it out healthily.

I suppose it's normal to have anxiety during pregnancy, right? lol. I just feel so goofy b/c up until my last one I was a completely laid back pregnant person without a care in the world, just loving on my babies. And now suddenly I'm stricken with panic and anxiety and ugh...it's not the same.

Thanks for listening to my rant. lol
*krissy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not to scare you, but yes you can hemorrhage with Placenta Accreta. My friend had a very bad delivery, because of the PA, though she and baby did make it ok. I would focus on trying to work on some of the anxiety you are feeling and finding peace now in your pregnancy. You never know how things will turn out, everything can go great with a VBAC or you might have a C-section, I think finding peace is going to be the healthiest for you, in the long run. I hope everything goes amazingly well for you.

PS If you want more details I will give them to you, but don't want to add any fear either.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymark View Post
Is it possible to try to focus more on making your pregnancy more enjoyable & less on the method of delivery? I see so many people here who have dreamed of the perfect arrival scenario end up disappointed because their situation could not medically play out to match their dream. Maybe I'm insensitive or missing something (sorry if that's the case). But, all I ever wanted was a healthy pregnancy that resulted in healthy babies. I had an unplanned c-section because it was what was best & to this day I'm thrilled my babies were delivered by the best method for them It was a magical moment!

There are so many factors that can change any delivery at the last moment regardless of wants or carefully laid plans. I just hate that so many women end up feeling disappointed over the arrivals of their babies.
I have had 2 necessary c-sections and one not medically necessary but forcefully pushed by a doctor. There is a difference in my experience.

The one that wasn't necessary bothers me 10 years later. Because of that C-section were seriously limited in the amount of children we could have. The excess scarring from that section made subsequent ones more dangerous to both babies and me. That is seriously upsetting when I know it wasn't needed.

It would be so much different if the choice had been between a live, healthy birth and a natural birth. That was the choice I had with my first and then my third child. Those births didn't bother me the day I had them nor today. They were needed. I would sacrifice having future children for health and safety of my current children. To have to do so for a doctor is something else entirely.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:24 PM   #8
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

OP I wouldn't worry about it right now. As your uterus grows the placenta can easily be farther from the scar. Placenta accreta is more common after c-sections but they can also happen in women with no previous uterine surgeries also. Even though they are more common after C-sections they still are not terribly common even then.
Quote:
. The risk of developing placenta accreta is 0.3 percent for women with one prior C-section, for instance; it rises to 2.4 percent for those with three prior caesareans.
http://stanmed.stanford.edu/2013fall/article4.html
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #9
bruenderbaby
Registered Users

My Mood:

First of all, I soooo know what you mean about being bitter. That's how I was after my c-sect. Sadly, many doctors are more concerned about their own convenience rather what is TRULY best for you, your baby, and your future babies. I was better after my first successful vbac. Then, a sermon at church about forgiveness helped me really let go of my anger with those at the hospital (who were really trying to help but were ignorant of non-med births), the impatient doctor, and myself for not standing up for myself and my baby better. It was a huge relief. Now I make sure to find truly supportive people to be with me at delivery and try to educate others about their options after a C-section. It has helped give me peace.

As for what might be, try to wait until you know for sure what is going on. And in the meantime, do research. Knowledge is power!