Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2014, 09:02 PM   #31
Lizp86
Registered Users formerly:grayelizabeth06
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Should I be concerned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
She did, she said her daughter drinks constantly and pees a lot.

And this thread is not pro-self-diagnosing. Virtually everyone has been recommending at-home tests OP can then take to a new doctor, because from everything that's been said in this thread it's really worrisome and her current ped doesn't seem to care.
Yep, I agree new PED and discussing these results and concerns with another professional is what most people recommend.

Advertisement

Lizp86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #32
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm calling the dr in the morning, I wasn't self diagnosing, I just figured for $25 I could do few tests at home even cheaper than my co-pay .... Hopefully with my own testing the dr office will believe me. If not we will have to try to find a new office. I don't feel like she is in emergency need of care right now ( if I understand all the advice on here) so I will keep any eye on her until we can get a appointment , thank you everyone for the help

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #33
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

How long has this been going on? I have never known any child that has developed diabetes slowly. It usually progresses over a week and ends in serious distress or coma.

Ketones do not mean a child has diabetes. Ketones dont develop with a bg of 120. They mean a child is dehydrated or is burning to much energy. Any slight illness even in the past week could raise ketones.

She could have an underlying medical issue but any doctor is just going to repeat all those tests, do blood work and find an issue if there is one. That's why home testing can be a waste.

All home meters can be off by 30 points or more. They are not been for diagnosis. Try checking your blood sugar, then test it again from the same prick and you will get a different number. That's why its best if you even think your child has diabetes they should be seen asap. Her blood sugar could be even higher than the meter says and prolonged high blood sugar can case major issues in children.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:00 PM   #34
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For me, if your pediatrician doesn't take you seriously, I would go to a children's hospital ER. Not a regular one. A children's hospital, esp if you have a teaching hospital near you. Spoiled to have 2 in Indianapolis. Take your numbers with you. You will have residents all over the place and they can refer you to a pediatric endocrinologist and get you an appointment that week that you otherwise would have to wait weeks-months for. We had to wait 6 months to get in with our new developmental pediatrician. But if you go to the peds ER, you can often have an appointment the next week. I wouldn't mess around with blood sugar.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:36 PM   #35
abeccarelli
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgirlohboyohno View Post
the Dr. says there is no way a kid that little can have migraines,
Find a new Ped asap...this is WRONG. DD is 10 and she get severe migraines. Throwing up, light sensitivity, the whole nine...we literally give her melatonin and let her sleep it off.

Honestly, if you are concerned, go with it. I say this because no one ever listened to me regarding my DD1's hemangioma because they are "harmless." It was growing and going deeper into her chest...finally a surgeon told me "well, better safe than sorry...let's cut it out!"

I am sure she is fine, but follow your gut, you are her mother and you know your DD better than anyone.
abeccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:03 AM   #36
revolekim
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yup, your ped is definitely wrong about kids that young not having migraines. My brother started having them when he was two and they were so bad, he had to be put on medication to try to control them. I hope you can figure it out!

Liz , wife to Mike and semi-crunchy mama to 4 little ones: Gehrig the minecrafter (04/08), Logan a.k.a. "Pigpen" (06/10), princess pumpkin Katie Rose (10/12), and chipmunk Lexi (06/14) I've been cloth diapering for 7 years straight!
::www.chipmunkandco.com::
revolekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:54 AM   #37
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree to find a new pediatrician. This one is blowing you off and giving you incorrect information. He is not listening to your concerns about something that could be very serious. And children that young can have migraines. I was diagnosed and medicated for migraines when I was in second grade, but I have memories of having them from when I was around 4. For me, the bottom line would be do you trust your pediatrician? Mine listens and addresses all our concerns, no matter how small they are.
Teddyandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:07 AM   #38
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

my 9 year old is like and my 3 year old toddler. neither are truly "fat" but the 9 is a bit more sturdy. all my kkids eat tons nd all the time. could be a phase or spurt.
Join me making money doing the following: shopkick, Swagbucks, fronto unlock screen , Perk and Perk unlock screen, receipthog,1Q, Free Eats, panel app, qmee, bzzagent, slidejoy unlock screen, smiley360, adme unlock screen, Rewardrack, Snap by Groupon, reviewsio, swaggable, checkpoints referral name: jmnhuisman, pinchme referral code: 54K7J, lootpalace, shopalong , drizzle sms - clock, yerdle, send Earnings, yaarlo referral code JESSA398, ibotta, BrowseU, survey cow unlock referral code is8513604729
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #39
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
How long has this been going on? I have never known any child that has developed diabetes slowly. It usually progresses over a week and ends in serious distress or coma.
Not the case for my sister. She was diagnosed at 14, but had symptoms for quite a while that got progressively worse. I remember her having headaches, chugging a gallon of milk at a time, getting exhausted randomly, eating huge amounts of food in the middle of the night, etc. She was diagnosed without ever having a coma or other serious episode, my mom just listed her symptoms and they did glucose tests in the doctor's office, had us leave for dinner, return, and test again.

I'm not saying OP's daughter has diabetes, I (and most others) are saying that a doc should at least be interested in getting her checked out.

Quote:
Ketones do not mean a child has diabetes. Ketones dont develop with a bg of 120. They mean a child is dehydrated or is burning to much energy. Any slight illness even in the past week could raise ketones.
No one said it did?
I think we all said it wasn't normal, so yeah it could be dehydration and illness, but OP hasn't indicated that this week was any different than any other week.

Quote:
She could have an underlying medical issue but any doctor is just going to repeat all those tests, do blood work and find an issue if there is one. That's why home testing can be a waste.
At home tests aren't a waste if they help OP get a doctor involved or help her decide to change peds, which was why people here were recommending them. Just like developmental screening tools aren't a waste just because a parent isn't "qualified" to administer them--they can still give a parent information to spur the right clinical conversation.

Quote:
All home meters can be off by 30 points or more. They are not been for diagnosis. Try checking your blood sugar, then test it again from the same prick and you will get a different number. That's why its best if you even think your child has diabetes they should be seen asap. Her blood sugar could be even higher than the meter says and prolonged high blood sugar can case major issues in children.
No they are not for diagnosis, but I've never heard they're off by that much! 30 points is the difference between healthy and insulin shock in some cases... not saying you're wrong, but I'm just surprised. But yes, meters can be off, and if OP isn't trained and the meter hasn't been calibrated then mistakes can happen. No one told her to diagnose. She was worried, doctor wasn't, people suggested things she could do to help her decide if it's worth pursuing with a doctor.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote