Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #111
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Service people alone with you in the house?

It doesn't bother me. DH is a glazier & he's one of those 'service people' you'd be home alone w/. They are there to do a job & get out. I just try to keep myself the kids & the cat out of their way.

& please treat these people w/ kindness. DH has told me some stories where customers treat him like crap or like he's trespassing. They called his company & asked for work to be done. They should treat him w/ the same respect he treats them.

Advertisement

Last edited by Junipervt; 02-04-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Junipervt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #112
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm uncomfortable only b/c I'm pretty introverted & it feels awkward to invite a stranger in then perhaps navigate small talk & the like. It's uncomfortable only b/c I'm socially awkward

That said, it wouldn't occur to me to not have someone make a service call while I'm home alone. If they can do it on a weekend, so I don't have to take time off work, great & both of us will probably be home...but I wouldn't make both of us take time off work, KWIM?

And DP isn't really any more imposing than I am Both of us are average height & overweight...I never really expected DP to protect me, so that's just not part of the equation.
carriek38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #113
lisaaag
Banned at Users Request
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junipervt View Post
It doesn't bother me. DH is a glazier & he's one of those 'service people' you'd be home alone w/. They are there to do a job & get out. I just try to keep myself the kids & the cat out of their way.

& please treat these people w/ kindness. DH has told me some stories where customers treat him like crap or like he's trespassing. They called his company & asked for work to be done. They should treat him w/ the same respect he treats them.
Oh I agree with this. I would never be rude to anyone just because I may feel uncomfortable.

Sent from my Smartphone using DS Forum
Old 02-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #114
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I always text dh when they get there, and he usually calls me a few minutes after that and asks me to text him when they leave. I wouldn't say it makes me really uncomfortable, but I like dh checking in on us. I usually have the kids stay upstairs if the work is being done downstairs.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #115
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

I don't think I'm capable of being rude to them. I always offer them water, ask how they are, say thank you for coming out, etc. Can't take the midwest out of the girl.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #116
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
Does it happen?

In the past three days I've been here alone with DS while 2 guys delivered a fridge, 3 guys delivered furniture, and now a man is here installing our internet.

Is it silly that it makes me super uncomfortable?

I'm a pretty tiny person, around 100lbs, and DS is 8mos old. I know being able to schedule this sort of stuff asap is one of the perks of me staying home but gosh, it gives me the heebie jeebies.
Yes it has happened but I don't think it even occurred to me to be scared. I am 5'0 and we live about half a mile off the road w/our farm backing up to a nature preserve.

The catch is that most of the repair/service people that would need to come out are usually friends or at least known to myself/DH's family.
kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #117
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

I just try to keep my kids from driving them crazy with 3zillion questions. "What is that?" "Why are you putting that there" "Can you fix that" They love it when something needs done in our house, it is like a field trip without going on the trip. Actually a lot of the guys have been really nice about it and try to include the kids like it is a mini lesson. I'm shooing them away and the guys are just chatting up a storm. "Now I'm just going to bore a hole through the wall here and run the fiber optic cables here...."
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #118
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
I just try to keep my kids from driving them crazy with 3zillion questions. "What is that?" "Why are you putting that there" "Can you fix that" They love it when something needs done in our house, it is like a field trip without going on the trip. Actually a lot of the guys have been really nice about it and try to include the kids like it is a mini lesson. I'm shooing them away and the guys are just chatting up a storm. "Now I'm just going to bore a hole through the wall here and run the fiber optic cables here...."
my kids do that too we had the comcast guy out the other day & DD insisted on knowing what his name was. then she got a couple of things from her room that looked like stuff he had & sat in the hallway (out of his way) copying everything he did.

My DH doesn't mind chatting w/ curious kids as long as they stay far enough away to be out of his way & out of harms way since he's working w/ glass. & he always tells me if a person had a cute baby
Old 02-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #119
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
I don't think I'm capable of being rude to them. I always offer them water, ask how they are, say thank you for coming out, etc. Can't take the midwest out of the girl.
I'll tell ya those little things can totally turn around a guy's day. I think often people forget that 'service people' are people too. They just happen to have a job that brings them into other people's homes.