Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
HeidiMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
New ADD diagnosis and questions

Hi all....my 8 yo son has recently been diagnosed with ADD...no hyperactivity. After having some difficulties in school, eventually meeting with a neuropsychologist and a barrage of questions and testing, we had the diagnosis. I'm new to this mama's! His doctor prescribed Adderall twice daily with the second dose to be given at noon. Since I wanted to make sure he could tolerate it as well has determine its efficacy, he hasn't been given the second dose. So for the past 7 school days he has been on just the morning dose. He complains of feeling tired all day and of course has no appetite at school. His teacher seems to think his inattentiveness is worse than before, even in the morning. Her son has adhd so she knows the routine. She does not think this is the right med for him.My question....do I add the second dose despite the fact that one doesn't seem to be helping and he is extremely tired at school or talk to his doctor about a possible switch? He did say he wanted to give it 2 weeks but I haven't exactly given it as he prescribed. I'm not opposed to the med...it's just hard for me to give him more when one does makes him feel bad and doesn't seem to be helping. Thoughts from the experienced mama's?Thank you!

Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

We used it briefly for my son years ago and neither of us liked it. He had insomnia and no appetite with it so we switched to strattera. It's a non stimulant and it worked much better for him. He was sleepy at first but it's all about getting the right dosage. We were going in every other week to check things and it took about 4-6 weeks to get the right dosage and the right time to give it. We were splitting it twice a day but it wasn't enough to get him through til the next time so we just gave it in the morning and it worked enter for us that way. Sorry if that doesn't help, I'm just not a fan of the stimulants although I know they work well for others.
I would use it as prescribed just so you have accurate information to go back to the Dr with. It does take time or their bodies to adjust but if you see something you don't like after a few days then I would call your Dr and not wait the two weeks.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm

Last edited by myclanof6; 04-20-2013 at 08:07 AM.
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
HeidiMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: New ADD diagnosis and questions

I was wondering if something like Strattera would work better for him as well. I just hate dealing with these meds...I am willing to use them just want to see some positive results. I don't want him to have to suffer with side effects and not feeling well for no benefit. Thanks so much for the reply! : )
Old 04-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would do the second dose. He may be feeling tired after the first dose wears off in the same way we feel tired after our morning coffee wears off. What do many do around lunch time? We drink a coke, tea, or more coffee and get another boost of caffeine. The dosage also may be too low for him.

And he also may need a different medication.

As for the not being hungry at school, that is something we just work around with our medicated DS1. He eats a good breakfast with protein, picks at lunch, and good afterschool snacks and dinner. He is still growing and gaining weight just fine. He just takes his calories in a little differently than everyone around him.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
fashionistababy
Registered Users

I agree with Myclanof6, use it as prescribed just so you have accurate information to go back to the Dr; and if you see something you don't like after a few days then I would call your Dr and not wait the two weeks.
fashionistababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would call the dr and tell them what I'm thinking, feeling, noticing, and what the teacher says. We changed meds up A LOT at first and to be honest I couldn't personally justify giving him something when I SAW the negative side-effects like you are seeing. Extreme tiredness, saying everything he thought without thought of repercussions, insomnia, that sort of thing. So, I guess I'm saying if it were me I'd call and tell them what you've posted here and ask for a different plan. I had a hard time accepting he needed meds...but DH also has ADHD and helped explain as a kid there are benefits to using the meds b/c they help him feel more normal and help him focus and not always feel like the 'bad' kid...