Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #11
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to you store your kitchen knives and sharp objects?

I just keep it all in the drawer with the silverware. Neither of my boys were ever the kind to get into stuff so I really didn't have to do any kind of baby proofing. I'll let DS2 (age 3.5) use a steak knife under supervision, they are pretty dull though. I guess I want to teach them how to properly use things. Forbidden things IMO are more interesting to children.

Advertisement

Last edited by KaleidoscopeEyes; 01-22-2009 at 10:01 AM.
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #12
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyP View Post
You gotta go the the bathroom sometime. Thanks for all the helpful ideas. We do not leave our children unattended but sometimes accidents happen. Children are quick.
My kids follow me to the bathroom, I only wish I could go alone I wasn't implying that the drawer was deliberately left there for him to get into, just that not all baby proofing is 100% reliable, esp with dangerous sharp things and especially curious ones at that.. DS2 has learned that he can still open the cabinets with locks, just an inch or two. Then that inch or two is just enough for his little arm to get in there! Now I have to keep everything a toddler's arm length back into the cabinets although they're secure with 'child proof' locks.
mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #13
Swimmingly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD comes to the bathroom with me. Everytime. I don't know what I'll do when we have 2 of them. I don't think three of us would fit in the downstairs bathroom

So far she has only gotten into the bottom cupboards, not the drawers. So I am watching for ideas!
Old 01-22-2009, 12:18 PM   #14
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

we put ours in the cupboard above the dishwasher in a plastic dish, the kids can't climb up their because we have a fishtank on that small counter area so no way of them getting into the knives.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #15
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 15 month old comes to the bathroom with me, accidents can happen in the couple minutes you're not there. They seem to sense when they're not being watched and use that time for maximum trouble My older son is 5 though, so I trust him not to go play with dangerous things, and fortunately only need to take one with me.

When we had kids, we got rid of all loose sharp objects, cutters, knives, scissors, and bought an all in one system with one of the wood blocks that holds everything. It holds all the knives, 2 pairs of scissors and a pizza cutter, and is compact enough that it can go in the back of the sink, in the very corner so it's even further, and freecycled all the loose objects we had beforehand. Then we have a gate that blocks the kitchen, then we don't leave him out of our site, even just a few minutes. I have a box of toys in the upstairs bathroom so that he can sit and play while I need him to.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #16
bjaneen
Banned

My Mood:

we have a knife holder in the very back of a corner of our counter
bjaneen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:15 PM   #17
jnno
Registered Users

We put ours in the small cabinet above the stove, pushed back a bit. All knives, scissors, sharp objects go there.
jnno is offline   Reply With Quote