Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
vansen19
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Early signs and suggestions to PL a 1 yo and 2 yo?

Just about to venture into PLing so I do not know much. What are major signs LO is ready to PL? I have an almost 2 yo ds and almost 1 yo dd, are they too young? Would it be better to do EC for a year, then PL? Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
Katie Mae
Registered Users
seller

Re: Early signs and suggestions to PL a 1 yo and 2 yo?

I don't think any age is too early to start teaching your kids about the potty, but you just have to decide what you as a parent are willing to do to really help them. The younger you start, you as a mom have a lot of work to do because you always have to take them, undress them, redress them, etc. You have to watch for signs they need to go (DD starts acting super wild and DS holds himself or starts pulling his pants off) and take them or remind them to go. Technically if your kids are over a year I don't think they call it EC anymore, but that doesn't mean you can't use that kind of an approach. If you are willing to put in the time and clean up accidents, there's no reason you couldn't at least start introducing the toilet to both of them. For your sanity you could try just doing it at certain times during the day (offering, they don't necessarily have to go) that they are likely to need to go (first thing in the morning, after naps, before bed, after getting a really big drink, etc) and just make it part of your routine. The more you pay attention to them and how often and when they are going, the more you'll be able to get them to the toilet before they have to go. But then that goes back to your philosophy of toilet training. Do you want to be in charge and do a lot of running them to the toilet, or do you want them to be? I personally didn't want to change poopy toddler diapers and have 4 year olds not PT (I have nephews who didn't learn until well after 4 because their parents didn't do a lot of work with them, and they just didn't care if they were messy or wet. But they did learn before 5, and it worked for their family.) Maybe that's bad of me, maybe not. But DD is almost 3 and has been poop trained for almost 18 months-2 years (we had some illness problems in there that set us back) and finally has grown stronger bladder muscles and a little larger bladder, and I started her at 10 months. DS is 20 months and does pretty good most days, even pulling his own pants off and running to the toilet. I started him at 2 weeks with something that was sort of EC. It was easiest for me when I started DD to get her to the toilet to poop, because she started to make faces and I could usually get her there in time. We'd read stories and she'd go. Eventually I started to learn when she had to pee and she started to initiate for pooping. I didn't mind the extra work involved. Some people don't have time to work with younger kids. Some people don't want to bother because they tried to start one child younger and it took forever for them to be bathroom independent and go on their own and they figure they'd rather wait. Some kids will basically potty train themselves if you give them the opportunity (like my little sister at 16 months with rarely an accident after). So it's up to you!

Oh, and we never looked for signs of readiness. We just did it. But some people swear by them. If I went readiness signs, I still wouldn't have DD in underwear because she is never dry at night or naps. But that doesn't bother me, because I know we give her way too much to drink before those times, and we aren't willing to give up our sleep to retrain her (yet). I figure if they are willing to sit on the toilet, and will do that a few times a day then they will be fine if you just do it as it comes for you.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I recently went to full time EC and he seems to be more and more aware of it himself. I am guessing that once he is able to have bladder control and get himself to the potty it will just happen kind of naturally.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
vansen19
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Mae View Post
Oh, and we never looked for signs of readiness. We just did it. But some people swear by them. If I went readiness signs, I still wouldn't have DD in underwear because she is never dry at night or naps. But that doesn't bother me, because I know we give her way too much to drink before those times, and we aren't willing to give up our sleep to retrain her (yet). I figure if they are willing to sit on the toilet, and will do that a few times a day then they will be fine if you just do it as it comes for you.
wow, i'll need to re-read this again, but thank you for your feedback!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
vansen19
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterisntsomething View Post
I recently went to full time EC and he seems to be more and more aware of it himself. I am guessing that once he is able to have bladder control and get himself to the potty it will just happen kind of naturally.
your ds is about 16 months? i'll need to get a book on EC, i really don't know much about it.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansen19 View Post

your ds is about 16 months? i'll need to get a book on EC, i really don't know much about it.
15 months. I never read a book, just found what I could in forums and online. I found poop to be the easiest, he usually started fussing and grunting early enough for me to notice and rush him to the potty. He's been ECd for poop since about 6 months. I actually started an ongoing EC chat in the EC forum, not a ton of people on there but you are welcome yo come ask questions!
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote