Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-11-2006, 11:06 AM   #1
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I think I want to try wool...

So were do I start? I've only had one piece of wool before and I hated it(BJM) But the mama I sold it to said it was thin even for a BJM so....maybe it was just that one and I want to try agian. I think I want to try a pair of shorties, large. But what all do I need to buy to take care of them? And who would be a good person to ask to make them? I can't pay until the 19th(next Friday) so I dont' know if anyone would want to even talk to me yet But I had a mama send me some cute fitteds that would be great with wool....so I need some advise. Thanks

Advertisement

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:20 AM   #2
lovemygirls
Registered Users
seller

Re: I think I want to try wool...

Irene's (woolful comforts) work is great!! I love her stuff. I have some wooly wash with lanolin in it and then I have a wool wash bar and some sheep balm from ITS. I haven't used my stuff from ITS yet though.

Ginger
lovemygirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:25 AM   #3
Melissa
Banned
seller

So far my only wool is either from Irene or Luxe, but I love Irene's stuff!
I think wool is actually a lot easier than it seems at first. Amelia always wakes up dry too with it and when I use pockets or other oul dipes she leaks thru.

Tara at Little liams and I have teamed up for some bigger sets and I havent used them but hers look great too. Very nicely made. if you wanna see pics of her stuff check out moms boardwalk on HC or Animal Crakers on HC or (lol) you can see my post in WAHM announcements section I posted pics of our stuff it will give you an idea.

Both are super nice mamas. Good Luck with this new venture!
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:38 AM   #4
navars2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I really love the stuff I just got from Sue at http://www.gotewecovered.com but she is taking a break from diaper covers for the summer as soon as she finishes out her current customs list.

As for what you need, all you really need is a wool wash bar. I like mine from MonkeySudz.
navars2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:57 AM   #5
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

I have a nice variety of wool and love all of it! I have a BJM soaker (it's actually one of my favorites), I have a couple WAHM made soakers, I have one that I bought on ebay from a lady in Latvia, I have one from Canada (can't remember who they are..), and I have some recycled sweaters that I've made myself. It's real easy to take care of, never leaks (as long as it's lanolized well, otherwise it can get damp on the outside), and is the first thing I grab when my kids get rashy or have prickly heat.

When I first started out with wool, I used recycled sweaters. I didn't buy any special wash. I just used Johnson's Softwash baby wash (the one that has lotion in it). When it came time to lanolize, I used Lansinoh and a dab or two of Johnson's lavender shampoo. I just bought a bottle of Sheepish Grins liquid lanolin, but I still use the softwash when washing - it leaves them smelling so good and I hardly ever need to lanolize! For quick washes (i.e. poop) I wash with a Burt's Bees shampoo bar.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:41 PM   #6
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, when I lanolized them, they always were so greasy feeling. I would melt some lansinah in a coffee cup of water and then pour it on the soaker shorts in a pan and just let them soak for about 15 minutes....but when they dried they were just yucky feeling...that is my fear again...how do I prevent that OR is that just the way wool feels?

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:42 PM   #7
Bridget Riedell
Registered Users

My Mood:

For night, my favorite soaker is actually a Disana pull on organic wool cover. I don't hear much about them, and I can't figure out why; I love it. It's my favorite wool for night. Soooooo soft, and doesn't leak through. I'm probably going to sell my crat and get another one I like it so much. They are a good price too, www.tinybirdsorganics.com.

During the day, I prefer Stacinator stretch day/night covers for our wool, and I have a pair of longies I bought from a nice mom on here.

I got some sheep balm for ITS in scrumptious smells that I'm dying to use on my wool!

HTH,
Bridget Riedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:44 PM   #8
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

You need wool wash and lanolin and that's about all you need to care for wool. There are liquid wool washes and solid soaplike washes out there. There are some wonderful WAHMs out there (ITS is one) who make wonderful wool wash. Eucalan Wool Wash is easily obtainable over the internet or locally and it is fairly inexpensive and works well. You can buy lanolin from WAHMs online or if you have Lasinoh or Purlan from nursing, you can melt that and use it.

I am another WAHM who makes longies, shorts and soakers. I both knit and crochet. My hyenacart link is below. I have tons of wonderful yarns and my wait list is about 10 days long at the moment.

There are some yarns that are better than others for diaperingwool. You want a good compromise between softness and durability. Merino wool yarns are going to be the softest you will find in most cases. They will pill more than other yarns and stretch out of shape a bit faster. Some yarns will partially felt from the friction of an active baby crawling or walking. This isn't altogether a bad thing as felting tightens the longies between the legs and makes them a bit more waterproof.

BFL is an amazing yarn - one of my favorites for diapering. Very soft, multi-ply aran weight which is a bit heavy - great for overnight.

Knit versus crochet is really a toss up. Some people like the look of one over the other. Crochet is thicker and takes more yarn for the same size. Knit is a little thinner, but has smaller spaces between the stitches.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:51 PM   #9
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon
Well, when I lanolized them, they always were so greasy feeling. I would melt some lansinah in a coffee cup of water and then pour it on the soaker shorts in a pan and just let them soak for about 15 minutes....but when they dried they were just yucky feeling...that is my fear again...how do I prevent that OR is that just the way wool feels?
You could try using liquid lanolin instead, or you could just try using less lanolin. Did you make sure that your cover went in inside out? That way the gumminess is on the inside.. The gummier it is, the more water repellent it will be. I don't like mine real gummy, so I just use less lanolin. For one cover you need about 1/5" to 1" of lanolin in 1 to 1/5 cups of water.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:54 PM   #10
navars2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You could also try using a wool wash bar. I find the wool wash bars are great for getting just the right amount of lanolin on the wool. They also have yummy scents. My wool feels a little tacky after being lanolized but that's about it.
navars2 is offline   Reply With Quote