Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #41
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What is your homeschool budget?

I have 6 kids. 1 going into 2nd, 2 in K and 2 preschoolers.

I don't have a budget. I don't even bother to add it up. I just buy what I think we need and try to do it in a frugal way without buying things we don't need. But, I know our curriculum cost is around $500 - $600. That doesn't include monthly consumables like ink cartridges. It doesn't include our HSLDA membership or the convention I'm going to. Most of what I buy is for my oldest and reusable with the youngers, but I don't shy away from consumable books or cover them in page protectors or anything like that. I just get what I need/want and remind myself that it would be much more expensive to send them to private school.

Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #42
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

double post

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 04-08-2013 at 10:49 AM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #43
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretkaye View Post
I guess I meant along the lines of relevancy. It seems like they're always changing things and I worry it won't be accurate. So even if I buy older material now it should be fine to reuse later?

Then the workbooks too, like the instruction books for math I can keep, but they won't do any good bc the workbooks won't match, right?
It varies company to company on how much they change workbooks with each update. If you were 100% sure you would use them, you could always pick up an extra one now.

On the revelancy, although ways of doing things and exactly what is taught by grade varies slightly, the facts themselves never change. Math facts stay the same, phonics rules stay the same even if they are taught differently. Even when looking through current books, no 2 curricula will teach exactly the same order and way as another. Hope that makes sense.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #44
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretkaye View Post
You all have me curious since you're talking about reusing curriculums. How long can you reuse them before you worry about them getting outdated? Or do they really? S will be starting HSing in the fall for 2nd grade. L is only 18 months so it will be quite a while til she is at that level. Should I not worry about reusing anything from S's HSing for her or subsequent children?

I was afraid to buy used bc of this as well. And I am thinking about using Math-U-See and saw that they have some older versions on clearance. Would it be bad to get these to save some money, or should she have the current editions?
I have a 7 year old I am currently buying for 2nd grade. I plan to use everything he is using with all 6 of his younger siblings including his 6 month old brother. I did upgrade my older edition of the K manual I use and will do the same with the 1st grade manual. BUT, the company I use rarely comes out with new editions. I just happen to start 1 year before they came out with the newer edition of both of those. (Actually, less than a year.) They did not change everything. So, it isn't like I'm buying all new, just exchanging my teacher's manual. They have no plans to come out with new editions of the higher grades. Plus, I didn't need to get the new edition. There is nothing "out of date" about the older version. They just revamped a little, tweaking layout and schedules, adding activities and books to book lists and such, nothing major or making it so that I really *need* the new edition. I just wanted it.

Like PP said, info doesn't really change. The only exception being science and even that stays the same for the most part and nothing major is going to change over a 5 gap. Even brick and mortar schools reuse their books from year to year unless there is a major revision, which isn't often.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #45
HollyS
Registered Users
seller
seller

I try to keep it under $500 for curriculum and books (for 4 DC, 5th through preschool). We mostly buy re-usable or resources that can be used over the years (picture books, chapter books, nature guides, art books, etc.). We spend another $200 on co-op, and I have no idea what we spend on supplies...I'm guessing another $150 (including a laser printer toner cartridge or two). I don't even want to figure in piano, gymnastics, baseball, softball, etc.

When I just had one school aged DC, we spent about $150 total for the year...it definitely goes up as they get older and you have more school aged DC. We started using page protectors on their math worksheets to save a bit! I do still purchase a phonics workbook or two for the beginning readers.

Last edited by HollyS; 04-08-2013 at 07:18 PM.
HollyS is offline   Reply With Quote