Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-14-2011, 08:09 AM   #21
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any other babies with helmets from plagiocephaly and torticollis?

We had torticollis but not plagio. We were diagnosed at 6 months (he couldn't roll over & OTHERS noticed the tilt but not me) and started therapy at Children's Hopsital Kings Daughters immediately.

We started with 3x a week physical therapy until he learned to roll over. I was also instructed to do 3x a DAY therapy at home on the "no PT" days & then one afternoon session on therapy days.

So he got 3x a day Sun, Tues, Thurs, and Saturday and 2x a day on M, W, and Friday. The sessions I did were about 20 minutes where the PT sessions at the hosp. were an hour.

After he learned to roll at 7 1/2 months, we started 2x a week at the hosp & continued that until he learned to walk at 10 months.

After 10 months we were down to once a week sessions (with me doing all the supplemental sessions at home).

Between 10 months & 13 months we weaned to bi-weekly sessions and then once a month sessions for the last month.

At 13 months he "graduated" from PT.

He had to be able to climb stairs and walk backwards to graduate therapy, and did both AHEAD of "schedule" so we technically graduated early. BUT it was okay, because he was also in Early Intervention Services for OT (for eating issues) and they were going to monitor his torticollis as well.

Now at 21 months, he is perfectly healthy & normal & actually scores beyond 27 months in gross motor skills on all the EI tests! He can jump with two feet in the air across a room, like a bunny!

Advertisement

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:36 PM   #22
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy
seller

Re: Any other babies with helmets from plagiocephaly and torticollis?

My oldest had a flat spot at birth that didn't get better by 2 months with a million suggestions so she got her helmet at 5 months old. We had to drive almost 60 miles one way once a week to get the helmet adjusted. She did fine with it, it never bothered her. The only thing is that it smells. No matter how much you clean it, it smells yucky. ( You clean it with alcohol and certain soaps that they give you a list for).

She still has a bit of a flat spot but it is much much less noticeable than it was before the helmet. They made a mold of her head and when she was done with the helmet they bought it out and put the hold next to her head and you really could tell a huge difference.

My second born had tort and flat spot but we did PT with her starting at 1 month old because I saw the knot in her neck at birth and knew where things were headed. She also has a bit of a flat spot, but as she has grown ( she's 1 yr now) it has gotten better.

HTH.