Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Just found out my DD has a Brain Tumor-Updated 2/7/12

Its been quite a while since i have been on this forum, but i knew that there would be mamas on here that might have some great information for me. I would LOVE to hear from anyone with similar experiences, or that have any information on Drs or Hospitals.

My dd had a seizure about 3 weeks ago, and was referred to get an EEG which was abnormal, she was then sent for an MRI yesterday which showed a centimeter in diameter sized tumor in her right temporal lobe. Her surgery is scheduled for December first when they will remove and biopsy it. I dont really know what to do here. Her surgery is scheduled at Cooks Children's Hospital which is supposed to be one of the best, but Children's Medical in Dallas has some of the top rated neurosurgeons in the country. I dont even know if i have time to get her in to see the other drs before her surgery.....anyways if any mamas have been through something similar i would love to hear your experience.

Advertisement

Last edited by tinyblackdot; 02-07-2012 at 07:40 PM.
tinyblackdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
misty316
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Just found out my DD has a Brain Tumor.

I don't I just wanted to offer you hugs and prayers. My heart goes out to you. Maybe someone will have some helpful info for you.
misty316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
mekat
Registered Users

I'm so sorry your dd is going through this. It can't hurt to try to get a second opinion if you can before the surgery. If you find a neurosurgeon you want to consult with you can talk to their personal nurse they have more latitude then any other staff to change out schedules if they think the situation warrants immediate action. Make sure you have all the documentation and films for them to look though since if you do get in there might not be enough time to send off for records and more testing. Personally, if it were my child I would probably go with who ever is competent and can take care of her the quickest since my biggest concern would be heading off the threat before it gets worse. Sorry, the only special need moms I know of in Texas are moms of kids with mito so I don't think they could help you with neurosurgeon recommendations. Maybe someone knows of a list of recommend neurosurgeons somewhere, hopefully because I am drawing a blank on where to get neurosurgeon recommendations for brain surgery. If you have a good relationship with her ped you may want to call and ask if this was her child what doctor would she be taking her too. Okay, other then that I am out of ideas. Good luck, I will be praying for her.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No help here but I could not read and not offer

I will be praying!
Old 11-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #5
Olivias Momma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow, I can't offer you any advice or info but my thoughts and prayers are with you, mama

YARN DESTASH here
Olivias Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #6
NewbieSAHM
Registered Users
seller
seller

No advice, really, but . I agree that it couldn't possibly hurt to try to get a second opinion/consult with the other hospital you have in mind.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

((((HUGS))))

My niece had hers removed at the children's hospital in Atlanta. She was 11 at the time. Now, at 17, you would never know anything was done.

Her's was diagnosed by the eye doctor. She was having migraines, and her mom thought it was that her glasses were not correct. The eye doctor took one look and sent her to the neurosurgeon.

The only big advice I can give is to bring lots of movies with you to the hospital, and a laptop so you can research things from your room. And if you are sensitive to laundry soap, bring the small packets of soap/downey. It is nice if something icky happens to be able to wash stuff. And bring your own pillow/blankets. And slippers.

Good luck mama!
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 11-19-2011 at 10:23 AM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
homeschoolingmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No experience mama, but and praying for your dd..
Old 11-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #9
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

no advice/experience but

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #10
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy
seller

I don't know if you remember me but we met up at the botanical gardens and the mall a couple of times. I just wanted to send My daughter had a tumor in her ear and had 2 major ear surgeries and just got off of 2 years of chemo. If you ever want to talk you can pm me. There are pediatric cancer foundations for those with brain tumors that can offer support. You can sign your little one up for chemoangels.net if she goes on chemo and she'll get 2 angels to mail encouraging letters and small gifts to lift her spirits.