Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:46 AM   #11
val01
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is there a Pediasure equivalent that is not milk/soy based?

Thanks Ladies - I am going to print this out and fax it over to the peds office now.

Valerie

Advertisement

val01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:16 PM   #12
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:

Be careful with the amount of protein whatever you decide on has (of course I'm sure you'll ask you ped first, anyway). I have a tiny ds and asked his ped if I could mix a good-quality protein shake with his milk and she said it's not so much about the protein (which can put on weight) but about calories and nutrients. Too much protein isn't a good thing. I ended up adding toddler formula to his milk since he wasn't bf'ing anymore but I know you can't do that. Just my . Good luck!

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #13
morgynnsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hey, I don't have any suggestions for you at this time but I just wanted to let you know that we are going through the same thing with our little daughter. We are going to get a bunch of tests done this week to see what is going on with her. She is 18 months and hasn't gained a pound in 9 months despite us feeding her every 2-3 hours. She is still on baby food most of the time (she loves to nibble anything we are eating but she throws it up ALL the time). Our Ped. is getting us a prescription for Pediasure until the allergy screens come back. She is on Lactose free milk but the dr thinks she has an allergy to cows milk protein (which is still in the lactose free milk). Well I hope I didn't confuse you too much with all that. I hope you find something you can work with and I just wanted to let you know that we are in similar situations.
Kari
Old 05-26-2008, 06:44 PM   #14
mycrunchykids
Banned
seller

My Mood:

So all of you know DON'T EVEN WITH DOCS PRESCRIPTION GIVE THEM MORE THAN ONE PDIASURE A DAY...my daughter get pediasure for the same problem she is 2 years old and weighs 16 lbs. If you give them too much you will spend on LOOONG night in the E.R. it will bind up their stomach....try asking for benacalorie instead....it is so much safr and better....
mycrunchykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:16 PM   #15
happymama1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is dairy, egg and peanut allergic...and I've been extremely careful about soy since DH is soy allergic. Anyway, I don't know the answer to your question exactly, but ever since we found out about her allergies I've tried to read whatever I could get my hands on to make sure she gets enough of what she needs. I'm pretty obsessed with it. I've read that you can add veg. oil/light tasting olive oil to rice milk to increase the fat content...and rice milk is fortified with some good things similar to milk. Thankfully, my DD is pretty good about eating meat, and we try to eat natural meat/organic food whenever possible--so she gets a sausage link (from whole foods) for breakfast every day, along with potato bread (I had to find one that didn't have eggs or milk in it), with vegan butter spread (for fat)....I also allow her to have jam/fruit spread on her toast or cinn/sugar...I don't really restrict fat/sugars (i'm careful, but not as much as I would be if she didnt' already have a lot of restrictions).....lunch is often a natural/nitrate free hotdog (cut very small of course), any veggies she eats I drizzle with olive oil (again, I try to keep her fat intake up)....she also LOVES calcium and vit D fortified Orange Juice (it has a great amount of calcium in it)....she eats calcium bears too (although, you may want to wait until your DD is 18 months and chewing well before introducing those). Dinner is usually whatever we're having (unless it has dairy/eggs in it...then I make her something else). She is doing great---her height is 75th% and weight has consistently been around the 40th%...which I feel pretty good about. I guess in short, I would just try to squeeze fat and calcium in wherever you can and you might be able to skip the ensure-like drinks. Good luck! Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Hope something I mentioned will be helpful to you!!
happymama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:56 PM   #16
bwsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

just wondering what calorie count of elecare she is on .. my ds is on the 24 cal and is gaining weight just slowly , granted he doesnt eat many solids and he still gets 30 ozs of elecare a day ... he is 13 months and weighs a little over 18 lbs
Old 06-05-2008, 06:11 AM   #17
val01
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsmommy View Post
just wondering what calorie count of elecare she is on .. my ds is on the 24 cal and is gaining weight just slowly , granted he doesnt eat many solids and he still gets 30 ozs of elecare a day ... he is 13 months and weighs a little over 18 lbs
She's on 24 too. Any higher and we have constiptation issues.

Valerie
val01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:20 AM   #18
Delaney21
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you want something in addition to the Elecare, or are you looking to replace it? If you just need something in addition to the Elecare you can ask your doc about adding Duocal to it. It's made by Nutricia, the company that makes Neocate, and it will boost the calorie level of the Elecare.
Delaney21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #19
meganc
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hi -

I'm new here but saw your post. My dd has milk & soy allergies, and she drinks Hemp Milk. She just got off of formula 2 weeks ago, and she had been on neocate.

Good luck!

~Megan
meganc is offline   Reply With Quote