Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2008, 09:57 PM   #11
katedanzer
Good things come in small packages
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: leggings and AFO braces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melhen View Post
Does everyone get to pick their style of AFOs, or do the designs cost extra? Twenty-plus years ago, my cousin just had semiopaque plastic ones that were pretty ugly. Also, do you have to rip out the insole of the shoes? What do you have your LO wear (shoe wise) around the house?
Thanks.
We got to pick from a binder of designs. E has a blue snake-skin pair
For shoes, we just went to Stride Rite with E's AFO's and they fit shoes for over them. We didn't have to rip out the insoles. A friend of mine buys her son shoes from Old Navy to wear with his AFO's.

This is an old pic, but my son has on BL, AFO's and knee immobilizers....which are actually elbow immobilizers since he's so tiny

Advertisement

Old 12-27-2008, 10:58 PM   #12
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We got to pick the pattern also. There was no extra cost...we weren't offered a choice of not having a pattern. They had Colts stuff, soccer, girly things, color swirls, and lots of animal patterns.

We ripped out the insoles in her shoes to make extra room. We probably could have gotten away without it, but it made more room for DD's feet from top to bottom and seemed a bit more comfortable. In the bottom two pics I posted earlier, she is wearing knock-off crocs with Disney Princesses that she cried for the day she got the AFOs, and she had been so good the whole day that I gave in and got them for her. She LOVES them.

OMG is Eli cute! I could stare into that smile all day long!
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 12-27-2008 at 11:02 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:58 PM   #13
mekat
Registered Users

It depends where you get them made. When Alec was at Shriners they did patterns but now that we have elected to go through the Children's hospital they are white with colored padding and either colored or patterned straps. Shriners was completely free and didn't charge a dime to us or our private insurance at the time. Children's hospital didn't charge more for the decorated padding and velcro and it is all on Alabama Medicaid's tab since my son is disabled.

Shoe wise we have always done Stride Rites because the staff at the store was always excellant at finding the right width plus they come in xxw. Orthontic shoes cost as much as Stride Rites do but I always liked the ability to be able to pick shoes out in person. This time we will be going with either Keeping Pace or Hatchback orthontic shoes. I need shoes that are easier and quicker to get on because Alec likes to kick hard when putting on his AFO's and since he is too mentally delayed to discpline in regards to kicking I am just having to work around this.

Unfortunately I can't relay experience with orthontic shoes yet since we are still waiting for the new AFO's to come in and I don't know the needed size until I can measure the AFO's. Oh yeah don't try to buy shoes until you get the AFO's because there is no hard and fast rule on how much width and size it will add to the final shoe size. I know that might be obvious to you but I have heard such a question asked before.

ETA - Yes, I had to take the inner sole out of the Stride Rites to allow for more depth. AFO's require quite a bit more depth then most shoes offer without some modification but don't worry the soles are real easy to take out.

Last edited by mekat; 12-28-2008 at 12:05 AM.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:44 AM   #14
rileykidmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We've had Ellie's AFOs done at both Riley Hospital in Indy and Advanced OrthoPro, Inc. in Indy, Terre Haute and outlying areas. There were more pattern choices at Advanced OrthoPro, but the Riley ones seem to fit her better. Ellie wears socks under her AFOs, either pants or leggings over and shoes all the time she's not in bed. Yes, it is a pain to take one shoe off to slip her pants down and change her diaper, but we're so used to it, you get faster with time. She wears crocs or other slip on sandals like Kristen's (luvsviola) daughter inside the house and Walmart brand shoes when we go out; I think they're athletic works brand. We just take the insoles out; they fit great and are inexpensive. If you have any other questions, please feel free to message me!
Old 12-31-2008, 08:07 PM   #15
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hey Kara--we used AOI for ours. I was pretty happy with them...haven't had any red marks or anything. They also made my G'mas prosthetic leg, too. However, we weren't seen at Riley, so I can't compare. Right now we are with Dr. Barrios at OrthoIndy, though I'm not overly thrilled with him. Medically, he gets the job done, but I am not impressed with his bedside manner at all. I am also not convinced that there wasn't a cheaper solution to Abby's issues-toe walking. It seems that we could have done something significantly cheaper to keep her from being able to get up on her tip-toes.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 12-31-2008 at 08:13 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #16
rileykidmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hiya Kristen! I'm not dogging AOI at all; Riley's just seemed a better fit for Ellie in particular. She has the skinny birdie legs from atrophied muscles and the AOI ones seemed a little too large on her, although all of the cool patterns were cute. The brace guys at Riley are super sweet and very patient. Ellie was a "heel walker", I guess kind of the opposite of Abby's problem. Ellie's PT tried to correct it by taping her muscles, but it didn't work very well. Oh well, blessings to everyone's AFO kiddos!
Old 01-03-2009, 10:08 PM   #17
kaydonette
Registered Users

My Mood:

My dd wears long socks with her AFO's but the doc said that all she really needs is ankle socks because of the padding. IDK it still looks uncomfortable. I also put babylegs on over them instead of leggings or stockings. I've also taken the same socks that i've made the BL out of and just cut the heel part out and sewed it back together. then it does not matter where the heel hits. and its really cute. I'll upload a pic later.

Last edited by kaydonette; 01-07-2009 at 01:05 PM.
kaydonette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:06 PM   #18
Spindle Spun
Spindle Spun - Handspun Goodness
Formerly: iamslh
seller

My Mood:

my daughter, who is five now, has been wearing SMOs (shorter just above the ankle) and theratog foam braces on her hips and legs for the past two years (almost three). We LOVE leggings for two reasons. The first is that the leggings help hold her theratogs in place and keep them from twisting. The second reason (and this is more applicable to your question) is because she needs longer socks with her SMOs and with the leggings she can wear just regular socks. She has a HUGE supply of leggings for under shorts and skirts! (and sometimes just alone)
Old 01-19-2009, 10:27 PM   #19
Melhen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am still full of questions. Should the leggings be under or over the braces? I always thought under just to keep from rubbing, but it sounds like over would be good idea to keep from taking off the braces. John is VERY picky about what touches him. I'm beginning to wonder if he has some sensory issues as well.
Why are we going to an orthopedist when we still have to make an appointment with Hanger orthotics? The pediatrician's office set up appt with orthopedist, but the peditrician already signed off on braces through our PT--First Steps provider. I've been told that the orthopedist is wishywashy about some kids needing braces and others not and they all have same issues.
Anybody know anything about Hanger orthotics? I've checked out webpage on google search, but I'm looking more into the . . . I know this sounds vain. . . color choices and such.
I guess pretty much everything as far as finding knee socks, investing in leggings, picking colors, and such is going to have to be a wait and see. Just like a lot of my questions about John's condition.
Thanks for all your help!
Old 01-20-2009, 01:12 AM   #20
mekat
Registered Users

You really want some type of fabric between the child and AFO. Ideally the plastic shouldn't touch the child's skin at all. You don't have to use special orthontic socks but if you buy socks from stores they need to be tall enough to be higher on the leg then the AFO and they should be as smooth as possible. All this is meant to prevent excessive rubbing and possible breakdown of the skin. You also will need to check the feet for red spots. Red spots shouldn't last for more then 15 minutes, if they do either the AFO's need to be modified or a new pair will need to be made. I personally would not put baby legs under AFO's I would put a pair of socks under and the Baby Legs over. I have done this recently because we moved further north and it was so cold last week I was layering clothing any where and every where I could to add warmth. I personally think it is a bad idea to allow plastic to rub up against the skin and all advice I have gotten from multiple PT's and orthontics lab agree that it isn't a good idea. I am very careful with skin breakdown though because my son is prone to it.

AFO use can be a bit controversial depending on the condition. Alec's first PT didn't want him to get them because she said it would create too much muscle dependence on the AFO's. I went ahead and got them anyway because he was twisting his feet around in the stander and basically hanging from the support straps which is not what you want when the pupose is to bear weight in a standing position. As long as you have a doctor to sign off on it and a lab to make them you can get them. As to whether you should in your particular circumstances I don't know. You need to listen to both sides of the story and apply your knowledge of your child to make the decision.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote