Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #21
monicadd
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Now Asthma! Any quiet or slient nebulizer machines?

Unfortunately ive been through what your going through, being a severe asthmatic myself and my dd suffering now for 10yrs ive seen many things come and go. AS for quieter machines, well each new one they come out with is a bit more quiet, but honestly it has a like pump in it to process the air so its only gonna get but so quiet. you could looking into getting a medical o2 tank instead which would be much more quiet.

There are a few now liquid steroids for kidlet, pedi-pred, prednisolone, and dextro. All working the same, but are a bit different.

Depending on the age of he child, children can start advair as a controller kinda young as well as singular now makes for age 2 and up.

Pulmicort is good. As far as inhaled steroids go. But any or to much of a steroid is a slippery slope, so a good controller is IMPORTANT. and to stay on it.

in my house for the neb we have albuterol, xopenex, and duoneb. Duoneb has salumedrol steroid in it. its what i HAVE to use when i have a attack.

Taking magnesuim helps a ton too. it helps keep the bronchial muscles and all relaxed.

i hope you find what your looking for. If i can be any help please pm me.

Advertisement

Devoted and Gorgeous DH CJ
monicadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #22
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

yeah i read the side effects on pulmicort and it was really hard to give her those first doses. the side effects are so scary(and yet, so is having a kid who can't breathe). makes me nervous to give her something like that.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:30 PM   #23
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by monicadd View Post
Unfortunately ive been through what your going through, being a severe asthmatic myself and my dd suffering now for 10yrs ive seen many things come and go. AS for quieter machines, well each new one they come out with is a bit more quiet, but honestly it has a like pump in it to process the air so its only gonna get but so quiet. you could looking into getting a medical o2 tank instead which would be much more quiet.

There are a few now liquid steroids for kidlet, pedi-pred, prednisolone, and dextro. All working the same, but are a bit different.

Depending on the age of he child, children can start advair as a controller kinda young as well as singular now makes for age 2 and up.

Pulmicort is good. As far as inhaled steroids go. But any or to much of a steroid is a slippery slope, so a good controller is IMPORTANT. and to stay on it.

in my house for the neb we have albuterol, xopenex, and duoneb. Duoneb has salumedrol steroid in it. its what i HAVE to use when i have a attack.

Taking magnesuim helps a ton too. it helps keep the bronchial muscles and all relaxed.

i hope you find what your looking for. If i can be any help please pm me.
Thanks mama!

I am sorry that you have to suffer too. It was so traumatic for my ds and watching him. It is scary just how bad it can get. The scary thing that we didn't know was that not all asthma attacks have wheezing. DS didn't wheeze at all until it was too late.
DS had to be on continious magnesuim, helium air, and a ton of other meds while in PICU. It took several days for it to work and they had to stop the magnesuim because of him having too much. It worked though.

The Ped. Pulmonary told us to just turn on the machine when he isn't sick so he hears it in the room. Like while he is watching tv, eating, etc so that he gets used to the noise. It really is so loud that it makes me nervous. I may still try to find a quieter one as my DH used to have one that was almost 100 percent quieter than this loud thing.

Thanks again for the support and sharing your experience!
Old 01-30-2010, 11:33 PM   #24
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeryGnomeHome View Post
yeah i read the side effects on pulmicort and it was really hard to give her those first doses. the side effects are so scary(and yet, so is having a kid who can't breathe). makes me nervous to give her something like that.
So true! When they told us all the meds they had to give Gage in the hospital just to get him to breathe.. it was so scary. He was in such a dangerous state though that not giving those to him would have meant he wouldn't have gotten better. I am so glad that this is past and I hope it stays there. I will gladly give him his Flovent twice daily as long as it means that he won't die or go through that again. They said that once March comes we can lower the dose. He may get to come off completely until Fall/Winter.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #25
*Willow*
Registered Users
Formerly: MadreJoyce
seller

My Mood:

Our neb sounds like a centrefuge, it is not very quiet but not terribly loud. My DS is on pulmicort, and xopenex (actually, recently we thought we'd switch from xopenex to albuterol but the side effects were too much for DS to handle on top of his sensitivities)

So sorry to hear of your ER/Hospital trip. I think you should definately check into a quieter one, sounds like yours is pretty obnoxious, and that is difficult to work with a child.
IT'S A GIRL! #5 Arriving Aug 2014
*Willow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:27 AM   #26
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Willow* View Post
Our neb sounds like a centrefuge, it is not very quiet but not terribly loud. My DS is on pulmicort, and xopenex (actually, recently we thought we'd switch from xopenex to albuterol but the side effects were too much for DS to handle on top of his sensitivities)

So sorry to hear of your ER/Hospital trip. I think you should definately check into a quieter one, sounds like yours is pretty obnoxious, and that is difficult to work with a child.

We have albuterol and something else for the machine. He takes Flovent twice daily with an inhaler.

The machine is definitely obnoxious! It really gets under my skin. I am going to try to get another one. I understand that there is a motor, but the noise is really ridiculous. It even vibrates/jumps when on.. so add that to the noise mix.