Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-06-2016, 02:19 PM   #11
proudsahmof4
Registered Users
Formerly: proudsahmof3
seller

My Mood:
Re: Best States to Homeschool in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Laura~ View Post
Iowa recently changed their laws and are now one of the easiest states to homeschool in. If your child has never been enrolled, you just don't ever enroll them. The schools don't have to even know about you.
Yup. This is what we did the first two years (we live in Iowa, obviously) and last year (our 3rd) we did join an HSAP, so there is more oversight with that, but our experience has been good. Iowa is a fabulous state to homeschool in, there are so many different options available.

Advertisement

Old 08-24-2016, 01:47 PM   #12
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Indiana is awesome, just provide 180 days of education, no reporting to anyone, no tests...
Old 08-24-2016, 02:22 PM   #13
abh5e8
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Laura~ View Post
Iowa recently changed their laws and are now one of the easiest states to homeschool in. If your child has never been enrolled, you just don't ever enroll them. The schools don't have to even know about you.
Yup... That is MO too. We just have to keep a log of school hours, starting when they turn seven. But we are never required to turn in the log. I guess a judge could always subpoena.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:24 PM   #14
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would not recommend MA. I resent everything I have to do. It has been fine but I did have to contact HSLDA twice. CT was great but when I lived there someone did try to place more restrictions. They failed but they did try.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:20 PM   #15
MicrofiberMama
Registered Users

Following this conversation since we are looking to switch to HSing this coming year... it'll be our first year homeschooling with 4 boys. Appreciate your insights!
MicrofiberMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:47 PM   #16
Amy_27
Registered Users

My Mood:

North Dakota has been slowly improving homeschool laws. Recently, opting out of testing is available to anyone with a high school diploma or GED. The big item is to send the Statement of Intent to your local school district each year. The first time you do need to send in immunization records and a copy of your high school/college diplomas. Fargo and Bismarck ares have activities and zoos but secular homeschool groups are hard to find.
Amy_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:56 AM   #17
chanjali
Registered Users

One of the best schools in our locality is the playschool in the which is nearby our house at the third street of the kondapur of Telangana in the first of the phase in the locality. It is also one of the biggest play schools in the state.
chanjali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:07 AM   #18
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can't speak to the homeschooling laws because we don't homeschool but I'd suggest looking into new england - southern NH specifically. Besides being beautiful with seasons there are lots of museum in Boston as well as all over NH. When looking for things to do with my kids I always seem to see sections on website designed for homeschool families. For example my son does Camp Lincoln in the summer... its a woody ymca summer camp. Year round they do homeschool activities which besides being educational also targets to bring homeschoolers together. The NH and MA Audubon also does activities. Also the see science center in manchester.

I wouldn't be surprised to find there are lots of other opportunities. I've also seen a book aimed to young kids about homeschooling called something like "my school, my home" in the public library, just mentioning to suggest that it is not unusual here.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! 2T Nght Fitted Trainer, XL Wool Soaker, Baby Wearing

Last edited by Pixi6s; 10-20-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:31 PM   #19
Stasia
Registered Users
seller

My kids aren't old enough to homeschool. So I just read all these threads and dream.

BUT, I can tell you my dear friend in Wisconsin told me of a recent tax change that allows you a tax deduction for private school or homeschooled kids- since we all pay taxes to the public school. I thought that was really amazing- and makes a HUGE difference for multiple children every year!
Stasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:02 PM   #20
oregonmom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasia View Post
My kids aren't old enough to homeschool. So I just read all these threads and dream.

BUT, I can tell you my dear friend in Wisconsin told me of a recent tax change that allows you a tax deduction for private school or homeschooled kids- since we all pay taxes to the public school. I thought that was really amazing- and makes a HUGE difference for multiple children every year!
Most homeschool parents I know do not want this, because as soon as the government is giving you money to school they feel they can start having a greater say in how and what you teach. Just food for thought.