Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-22-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
panda13
Registered Users
seller

Ouch! Blister on DD's privates!

DD just woke up from nap, crying and asking me to change her. I noticed she has a blister that looks...well, just like a blister. It's a small bump, that's clear and shiny. At first I thought it was a drop of pee, so tried wiping it, and poor DD just starts crying. She's never had anything like that before, has anyone ever seen something like that? Right now, she's walking around naked for a while to "air out." Is there anything I can do right now to help it? I'm thinking I may call the ped in the morning if it's not gone by then (which I imagine it won't be). BTW, DD is 28 months.

Advertisement

Old 09-22-2009, 05:42 PM   #2
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Re: Ouch! Blister on DD's privates!

is she in cloth? ammonia? We had ammonia burn that started like that and turned bacterial recently.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
carmismom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Or detergent burn possibly. Let it air out as much as possible, poor girl!
Old 09-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #4
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

no advice mama..just hugs .... I think keeping the diaper off will help.. and yeah .. call the dr. tomorrow ..
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:39 PM   #5
panda13
Registered Users
seller

Her diaper was only slightly wet, but smelled strongly of ammonia (like she might have peed in it first thing during her nap). You know, I did just recently bleach the diapers (which actually made the ammonia smell go away for a while). That was 2-3 washes ago, so not sure if that would cause it?

I don't know if the ammonia would cause a blister that quickly? She's definitely had ammonia smell before, and the worst it's ever done is make her a little red.

Just stepped away because DD told me she peed (a couple drops on the floor), so I quick took her to the potty and she went pee on the potty! I guess there's an upside to everything, right?

Just talked to my mom too (DD had to call her to tell her she peed), and I told her DD rode her bike last night, and did complain about being sore - but nothing there when we changed her last night. I wonder if the blister is from chafing? Can't remember which diaper she was wearing...probably just a prefold/doubler combo, or maybe a Dream-Eze AIO
Old 09-22-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
Toby_99833
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD had the same thing. I little blister of clear fluid on the front of her vagina. You'll need to pop it and drain the fluid. We used a needle. Then we put anti bacterial ointment on it and a bandaid over it. DD cried for a few minuets and while we were tending to it.

I really think that hers was from amonia in her diaper. She is potty training and only has diapers for naps and bedtime. So we switched her to sposies for those times and we have not had any other problems.

ETA: A fleece liner would also help!

However, now she always points to her vagina and says, "I got a boo boo on my pee pee. I got a BobBob (what she calls Spoungbob) bandaid." It has been over a month since we took the bandaid off and she is still talking about it.

Last edited by Toby_99833; 09-22-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Toby_99833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:34 PM   #7
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby_99833 View Post
My DD had the same thing. I little blister of clear fluid on the front of her vagina. You'll need to pop it and drain the fluid. We used a needle. Then we put anti bacterial ointment on it and a bandaid over it. DD cried for a few minuets and while we were tending to it.
Don't mean to bash your advice, but whether it's on your finger or your vagina, a blister should never be popped! That blister is protecting the area and popping it actually encourages bacterial growth. You can put some vaseline or other smooth, easy to apply cream on the blister to prevent it from catching on her diaper.
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.

Last edited by wordmama; 09-22-2009 at 07:36 PM.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD had a similar blister. I just made sure that I used our rash cream consistently for a day, and it cleared up. It left a little scar, and I now put vitamin E on it. You can't see it now.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:12 AM   #9
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

My neice had the same thing last summer and it went away on it's own. BTW she uses sposies so i wouldn't imagine it's an ammonia burn.
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:22 AM   #10
panda13
Registered Users
seller

Well, the blister is almost completely gone this morning! I'm going to let her have naked time as much as posssible today, to keep airing it out. But I don't think I'll call the doctor. We leave on a trip tomorrow, so there's lots to do. I suppose if it reappears, we will be near a big city on our vacation, so I'm sure we could go to urgent care if needed.

Thanks everyone - I was just a bit scared seeing a blister down there. DH thinks it was chafing from riding her bike. I hope that's all it was. I'll keep a good eye on it through the rest of the day.