Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-22-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
rylan'smomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Preschool anxiety/jitters

I put DS in preschool this fall. He turned 3 in May. He has been at home with me, DH or Grandma since he was born. When we went to register for preschool in the summer, it was all he could talk about until school actually started.
He did good the first day we were there because I stayed. The next day when my mom was getting ready to leave he started crying and wouldn't let her go. Now, he doesn't want to go to preschool at all. He says "I'm all done with preschool now!". I keep talking positively about preschool and even stayed with him for the day today. But, he was reluctant to leave my side and didn't really interact with the kids that much. It is only twice per week for 2.5 hours. So it isn't like he is there all that long. I really wanted him to go because he is an only child and I think he needs some socialization. I also wanted him in something slightly structured. They have lots of free play with song, story, snack and outside play. I really like the preschool too. The teachers are great and it is 2 blocks from our house.
The other thing I feel like is that I can't let him quit persay. He already quit soccer and quit ice skating. I think he has a bit of an anxiety issue but I can't not let him do anything because he might have fear associated with it. I don't know what to do!! Help! Should I keep encouraging him to go or pull him out and try again next year? Is there something else I should try?

Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
Kita
Registered Users
seller

Re: Preschool anxiety/jitters

I say give it more time. Some kids just take longer to adjust. Talk to your child's teacher, too. She should be able to give you an idea of how things are going while you're gone, and what to expect for a transition period.

I would be very reluctant to pull him out of the program (if it were my child) because then it might make it that much harder next year to try again.
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I would try at least for a few weeks. Perhaps he is feeding off of your anxiety to leave him as well. It has only been a couple of days so I personally, would just drop him off and leave the next time. Talk to his teacher. If he is really that upset you are only a few minutes away but most likely, he will get used to it.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:39 PM   #4
rylan'smomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks for the advice