Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #11
leighi123
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: New DR's Two page letter about Vaxing...

In 1736, I lost one of my sons, a fine boy of four years old, by the smallpox

That was a long time ago...

Advertisement

leighi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:36 PM   #12
HadassahSukkot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh puh-leeze. there is so much misinformation in this letter I don't even know where to start. How about we pull this one out that he so obviously pulled out of his butt.

Quote:
...Over the past several years, many people in Europe have chosen not to vaccinate their children with the MMR vaccine after publication of an unfounded suspicion (later retracted) that the vaccine caused autism. As a result of underimmunization, there have been small outbreaks of measles and several deaths from complications of measles in Europe over the past several years. . .
He freely decided NOT to include that the ones who had the outbreaks were immigrant populations coming from countries where they do not have access to clean water, food and shelter, and diseases like this are common.

There are no health screenings prior to entry into the US, Canada or the EU outside of whatever your country requires to allow you to leave said country and enter another. That means you might be bringing SARS this visit, and next, Polio.

Not that "OMG! Look, the Germans had a Measles outbreak in _____! Look how many German children suffered needlessly because their parents did not vaccinate them..."

Quote:
...Furthermore, by not vaccinating your child you are taking selfish advantage of thousands of others who do vaccinate their children, which decreases the likelihood that your child will contract one of these diseases...

Never heard of "Herd Immunity" eh?

Quote:
...Please be advised, however, that delaying or “breaking up the vaccines” to give one or two at a time over two or more visits goes against expert recommendations, and can put your child at risk for serious illness (or even death) ...
YEAH RIGHT, MY BUTT!

It does not go against expert recommendations, and though it is inconvenient for the pediatrician to schedule you to come in at spaced out intervals, and though they may feel it is cruel to "Jab" your child more than once for a ""routine vaccination"" -- it actually helps the body to create immunity without overly stressing the immune response. I'd sooner have a normal immune response than the body go haywire and suddenly become chemically sensitive - or worse... and no, it doesn't bring any further risk. In fact, it allows you to monitor for symptoms even better - so you can find out if your child has an allergy to any of the ingredients in the vaccine.

I'm getting a headach now from rolling my eyes so much. I'd find another ped.

HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #13
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow! I would be running away as fast as I can and we do vaccinate, although on a selective/delay schedule!

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:08 PM   #14
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadassahSukkot View Post
I'm getting a headach now from rolling my eyes so much. I'd find another ped.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:22 PM   #15
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy
seller

I don't like being told what to do. I am not a Dr but do have a lot of knowledge of medications and have caught dr's making mistakes on my prescriptions several times and have had to have the dr correct them. So, they don't know everything and CAN BE WRONG!

I do believe as a parent we should get the make the major medical decisions in our children's lives. The receptionist of this office was majorly rude to me on the phone so I wasn't really wanting to go there anyway, but this sealed the deal big time.

My Old Ped ( Gosh I miss her) was awesome and worked with me if I wanted to split up her shots or do something that isn't RECOMMENDED. They made sure that their office was thiormasal free.

This letter comes from a group of dr's that is HUGE in many cities around here. I am going to have to do some major research to find another ped for DD.

I just didn't know this kind of letter existed at any office. I guess I was really lucky with my DD's first ped.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:50 PM   #16
Karrie Di
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow--that is pretty sad (the letter coming from a huge practice!) You'd think more people would object to it and say something. I guess you just never know what you might find within a practice.

I completely agree about doctors not being gods. I expect all our doctors to ADVISE me and give me their (usually more educated) opinion. There have been lots of times I was more educated about a certain condition and didn't hesitate to talk about what I'd learned/read/etc.

It is our job to advocate for our kids, and I take that very seriously. Good luck to you on finding a practice you like and respect. =-)
Old 08-23-2009, 09:54 PM   #17
bluemerle
Registered Users
seller

Wow, that's a ridiculous, judgemental letter...I can't believe anyone would want to go to that doctor after reading such garbage.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:05 AM   #18
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
So since they "firmly believe" all these things then I "firmly believe" that they should have no problem signing a waiver [that you can draw up] stating that they can GUARANTEE that autism or other developmental disabilities will NOT occur at all in you child then!

I can guarantee that if you present that too them, they'll say no! Which shows that they do NOT firmly believe that no side effects/issues that they listed will occur.

Plus apparently more and more parents are doing there own research and choosing to delay/not vax/selective vax or they wouldn't be sending out these letters as is many other pediatricians office.

I agree, RUN away from that practice that uses bullying techniques and pretty much tries to make it so that the parent has NO choice in their child's medical lives.

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:19 AM   #19
Spindle Spun
Spindle Spun - Handspun Goodness
Formerly: iamslh
seller

My Mood:

Wow.

I don't know what I would do if I got this in the mail.

Hubby and I selectively vaccinate. We are on their schedule for the Dtap, but not everything else. We have given 2 DTap and 1 Polio to date, and my daughter is 4-1/2 months old. We will start the MMR shot at three, not age two. We will give all of the DTap, all of the Hib (but not starting the Hib until 6 months), and all of the Polio. We separate each vaccine by 2 weeks, so one at a time (other than the DTap.)

I have never gotten any sort of grief from my daughter's doctor. My daughter's doctor is actually my doctor as well, so he is a General Practitioner in a Family Practise Clinic rather (he is actually a D.O.) than a pediatrician in a pediatric clinic. He fully supports my choices. He gives me the good side, and the bad side, and while he doesn't feel that giving many vaccines at once will harm a child, he says that if I want to make the extra trips for the vaccines he really doesn't care. In regards to delaying or choosing to not have some vaccines (we won't do chicken pox, rotovirus, pneumovax....) he again gives me the bad side, but from an informational standpoint not a coercive or assuming standpoint. Actually, when he came in for my daughter's 2 month apppointment he asked me if I planned on following the recommended schedule for vaccinations or if I even planned to vaccinate at all. It was like he just "knew" I had a different idea, or recognized that the choice to do vaccinations different is completely valid.

My older two kids go to a pediatrician, however. They got their shots on time, though, we are just doing things a bit different for the newest little one. The older kids are 9 and 6, so we've had some time to think about how we want to do things with the last little one.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:50 AM   #20
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would run. FAST! And get a new ped.