Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2009, 06:05 PM   #11
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If your kid is sick, STAY HOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeChicletRun View Post
excellent point. If you have a newborn or a sickly child you need to be extra vigilant and protect them. Its not my job to keep your kid healthy. I dont believe in shutting my kids off from the world because they have a cold. Its life, it happends. My 6.5lb 2 week old caught a cold that came home from school with my older boys. It sucked but its life.
I'm sorry but your post comes off as selfish to me. If someone else's child gets sick it is basically just not your problem then? Because you don't want to deal with keeping your kid at home to rest and get better.
No I don't seclude ourselves at home, if we need something we go get it. BUT, I am not going to drag him to story time or other kids activities where he can share his germs with other little ones.

Advertisement

Old 09-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #12
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnTrees View Post
I actually tried to get my mom (who was across the street) to pick up a few things for us, but she said no...
That wasn't very nice of her. I stay home from fun things when ds is sick, no one needs his germs. If we have to go somewhere I would wear him ( he hasn't been sick for awhile thank goodness, not sure I could bw with this belly )
Old 09-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #13
twolittlebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Totally know what you mean. I've given up on trying to take my babies to the gym daycare because there are always at least a few snotty nosed, clearly ill children, running around and touching everything.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #14
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wish everybody felt that way.
My lil guy gets resp crud all the time when other kids just get the sniffles. Breathing treatments, humidifier, Vick's, etc. But if I denied a DC kiddo everytime they had the booger nose, I wouldn't ever have any kids Oct-April every year! I really wish parents were more sensitive to the spread of germies but they also have to work as well.
It's a no win really. I have illness policies but it does not include runny noses. I need them. They need me. I guess at least we are small in size, so less crud going around.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #15
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedbabytoes View Post
I wish everybody felt that way.
My lil guy gets resp crud all the time when other kids just get the sniffles. Breathing treatments, humidifier, Vick's, etc. But if I denied a DC kiddo everytime they had the booger nose, I wouldn't ever have any kids Oct-April every year! I really wish parents were more sensitive to the spread of germies but they also have to work as well.
It's a no win really. I have illness policies but it does not include runny noses. I need them. They need me. I guess at least we are small in size, so less crud going around.
my DC policy DOES include runny nose IF the mucous is yellow or green IMO that means sick(especially since everytime i have a child with that they have a fever and other symptoms also). clear runny nose=no problem, green=go home. my DC parents understand that they can keep their sick child home for 2-3 days or they can be called to pick them up and have to find alternate care if myself or my children get sick. seems easier to keep the kid home
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #16
katina128
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Amen!!! That ticks me off faster than anything else, for someone to send their kids sick to school or bring them over when sick. It's sooooo rude!

WAHM behind Lullaby Diapers Portfolio

katina128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:39 PM   #17
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycdsqueaker View Post
why didn't you just tell her you didn't wan to meet up? or when you saw her kid was sick reschedule?
I told her when her kid was sick I didn't want to go near them with a ten foot pole! The stupid thing is this mom is a GERMAPHOBE when anyone else is sick she won't go near them, if she hears something on the news about swine flu or bird flu etc she won't leave her house for a few days, I'm not joking.

She insisted that once you show symptoms of an illness you're no longer contagious. I said uh no, if you still have bodily fluids draining, you're still contagious. I cancelled that day. A few days later she said she had been to the doctor and her daughter wasn't sick, just teething. She came over and her kid had green snot RUNNING down her face the whole time. By the time I saw the snot happening, it was too late. She had touched all my son's toys, put her hands on his face, put his soothers in her mouth....

Our son didn't show any signs of being sick for a few days so we thought we had gotten lucky, so we went to our friends' house yesterday anyway. Though we were careful to always wash our hands with the preemie ANYWAY just out of common sense, I did hold him while his parents ate dinner (poor things were eating cold food in shifts, I know how that is!) and bounced him to sleep.

But of course this morning/late last night the nasty snot dripping down the face cold hit with a vengeance... And he has a soft trachea so any respiratory thing means he literally cannot breathe when he's stuffed up really bad. He tends to get upper respiratory infections very easily.

I also have a mom who has MS and CANNOT get sick, so we'll have to cancel seeing her this week. And I have to disinfect all his toys and my house once he's better... *sigh*

Old 09-06-2009, 10:59 PM   #18
NorahsMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcake2386 View Post
i agree. as a mother who STAYS HOME and cares for her sick children, i know how miserable they get. if my children are sick we stay home. we dont even hang out with their cousins. i would never want my selfishness to cause another child to be sick. (BTW im all for building up immunities and such but sick kids belong at home. period.) If my kids get a cold and we were supposed to go to the playground or something, we reschedule. yes, they are bummed but i can always find something special and fun to do with them at home I'm kind of shocked to see the parents who dont care about getting other people's children sick and knowingly infecting them. YOUR child may be healthy and it may be a 3 day cold but it could be fatal for MY preemie(who could be healthy at the time but is more susceptible to certain things)
On the other hand if we go somewhere and there are obviously sick children there, we leave also. BUT we shouldnt have to. My well children shouldnt be deprived of playing on the playgroup or story time at the library bc someone chooses to bring their sick child there

I have a problem with the attitude that it's not your responsibility to keep other people's children healthy. I think we all have a responsibility to society to do what we can to curb the spread of any illness. And it really is important to consider that what may be a simple cold for your child could be very serious for many others. Healthy children are the ones who should not have to be shut off from the world because of someone else's selfishness. Keep sick people at home!
Old 09-06-2009, 11:19 PM   #19
lydiamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

YES! This is one of my biggest pet peeves as a mommy. I am now so uneasy about putting my kids in the church nursery because I know a few mamas at church who just plain refuse to keep their kids at home when sick. Last week I was uneasy about going because of all the stuff thats been going around, but decided to compromise by allowing ODD to go in the nursery and keep YDD with me since she's the one that puts stuff in her mouth. But sure enough, ODD came down with a fever a few days later and I KNOW it came from church. It just makes me so mad!!!

I also have a friend who will bring her kids to playgroup and say things like "DS was puking yesterday but he seems fine today." At that point I just pack up and leave.

Baltic Creations co-op now open
lydiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:54 AM   #20
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

I also get irritated with the attitude that it's not my business to keep your kid from getting sick thing. You know there are people in society everywhere, at the mall, someone's parent or sibling etc, at school... that it can be very serious if they get a simple cold. That attitude could literally get someone killed.

If your kid is sick and you keep them home, you aren't spreading disease. If you take your kid sick out, you could be infecting literally hundreds of people.