Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #21
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: If your kid is sick, STAY HOME

My oldest was sick a lot his first little year I did HOWEVER err on the side of if he's sick...he stays home. Yes, I missed work, so did my dh.....but you know it was a matter of him resting and no one else at his daycare getting sick! I probably was a worry wart and took him every time he had a stuffy nose.

My dh was so furious when he took our LO to a playgroup and one kid was coughing and runny nose! Yep....LO got a cold a few days later.

I also stick to the "no return school within 24 hours of a fever" rule at school. My oldest doesn't go!

I am blessed in the sense that my dh is home with LO during the day; and when he did work full-time--we were able to switch days if needed.

Advertisement

debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:06 PM   #22
Ellowyn
Registered Users

My Mood:

Me too! I hate it when another mommy brings an obviously sick child to play group or my book club. My DD got a nasty cold that turned into an ear infection one time at my book club because another mama brought her obviously sick child. This mom does that a lot, makes me so mad. I feel like I need to call her up before book club and ask it if her child is sick or not.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:52 PM   #23
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree! It's one thing if you HAVE to run an errand and bring your LO with you, but the park? Story time at the library? Shopping? No!

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:10 PM   #24
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

I could see this with optional/recreational type things (like play groups, church centers and the like), but what would about when a parent HAS TO work?

I don't send my child to daycare, if she's ill (as in running a fever, green snotty nose, drippy eyes, vomiting, etc.), but for a normal, run-of-the-mill cold? Yes, I send her. Usually her nose is clear. She's just sniffly. This is common during the cold/flu season - every child has it in one for or another or a care provider has it, etc.

I don't have the luxury of just calling in and staying home a couple of times a month for 6 months of the year. I don't have sick days (I have vacation days - 15 of them and 10 of those have to be scheduled in advance) and after 8 absences (in a 12-month period), I am terminated.

My partner has more flexibility (she can work from home, if need be), but we still don't want to overuse that option.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:41 PM   #25
cereal527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcake2386 View Post
i agree. as a mother who STAYS HOME and cares for her sick children, i know how miserable they get. if my children are sick we stay home. we dont even hang out with their cousins. i would never want my selfishness to cause another child to be sick. (BTW im all for building up immunities and such but sick kids belong at home. period.) If my kids get a cold and we were supposed to go to the playground or something, we reschedule. yes, they are bummed but i can always find something special and fun to do with them at home I'm kind of shocked to see the parents who dont care about getting other people's children sick and knowingly infecting them. YOUR child may be healthy and it may be a 3 day cold but it could be fatal for MY preemie(who could be healthy at the time but is more susceptible to certain things)
On the other hand if we go somewhere and there are obviously sick children there, we leave also. BUT we shouldnt have to. My well children shouldnt be deprived of playing on the playgroup or story time at the library bc someone chooses to bring their sick child there
We don't leave the house if someone is sick or has been sick in the last 24 hours unless absolutely neccessary. My oldest ds has allergies/asthma though so right now he has a runny nose all the time and a cough that sounds terrible. I'm sure when we are out there are people thinking I'm infecting their kids, but if he we sick with something contagious we'd be at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydiamom View Post
YES! This is one of my biggest pet peeves as a mommy. I am now so uneasy about putting my kids in the church nursery because I know a few mamas at church who just plain refuse to keep their kids at home when sick. Last week I was uneasy about going because of all the stuff thats been going around, but decided to compromise by allowing ODD to go in the nursery and keep YDD with me since she's the one that puts stuff in her mouth. But sure enough, ODD came down with a fever a few days later and I KNOW it came from church. It just makes me so mad!!!

I also have a friend who will bring her kids to playgroup and say things like "DS was puking yesterday but he seems fine today." At that point I just pack up and leave.
Are we friends with the same person? I have a "friend" that does the same thing all the time. She is the same way if she's sick. It's like because she/her dd wasn't puking as they were walking out the door they are perfectly fine. I'm at the point that I'm about to start laying into her about it because I'm tired of seeing her do it and I feel bad for all the people she's exposing to the crap they have. And it seems like they are sick with something all the time.

Last edited by cereal527; 09-07-2009 at 10:42 PM.
cereal527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:56 PM   #26
bluemerle
Registered Users
seller

If my kids or I are sick, we always stay home from our mom-tot classes. I think it's the responsible thing to do. I know there are times when people need to leave the house when their kids have a cold (heck, I've done it too), but certain things like playdates or classes...I don't see what's the big deal about cancelling/misses a class because of sickness, just stay home for gosh sakes!
Old 09-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #27
kiwi87
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equivocal View Post
I could see this with optional/recreational type things (like play groups, church centers and the like), but what would about when a parent HAS TO work?

I don't send my child to daycare, if she's ill (as in running a fever, green snotty nose, drippy eyes, vomiting, etc.), but for a normal, run-of-the-mill cold? Yes, I send her. Usually her nose is clear. She's just sniffly. This is common during the cold/flu season - every child has it in one for or another or a care provider has it, etc.

I don't have the luxury of just calling in and staying home a couple of times a month for 6 months of the year. I don't have sick days (I have vacation days - 15 of them and 10 of those have to be scheduled in advance) and after 8 absences (in a 12-month period), I am terminated.

My partner has more flexibility (she can work from home, if need be), but we still don't want to overuse that option.
I pretty much agree with you. When I worked in daycare center I never batted an eye when a parent brought in a child who the sniffles or a bit of a cough but could still run around and play.
kiwi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:37 PM   #28
maddys_mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cereal527 View Post
We don't leave the house if someone is sick or has been sick in the last 24 hours unless absolutely neccessary. My oldest ds has allergies/asthma though so right now he has a runny nose all the time and a cough that sounds terrible. I'm sure when we are out there are people thinking I'm infecting their kids, but if he we sick with something contagious we'd be at home.

My daughter has allergies as well. She's normally on zyrtec and singulair (when I know the pollen is going to be high) but I don't like keeping her on it year round, since she doesn't need it all the time. But sometimes the pollen levels sneak up without me noticing, and I end up with a runny nose, red eyed child who looks like she's really sick and contagious. I get all kinds of dirty looks from other moms. People look at me like I'm some sort of awful person, infecting the whole store, when she's not contagious at all!
maddys_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:58 AM   #29
lydiamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A really good friend of mine took her daughter to a playdate at a friend's house when she was a baby. The friend NEVER mentioned that her whole family had been sick, until after about an hour in the house casually mentions that her son had been vomiting for the past few days but hadn't that morning, so he was fine. And she had cleaned the toys. My friend took her baby home and within 12 hours her baby was vomiting so frequently they had to take her to the ER. It was rotovirus. Her whole family caught it and had never been so sick in their lives. She called that mom to tell her what had happened and that she needed to disinfect her toys because it was rotovirus which is EXTREMELY contagious, and that she should be more careful. The woman didn't even apologize.

Baltic Creations co-op now open
lydiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:10 AM   #30
Sweetpea985
Registered Users

My Mood:

my DD just started with a runny nose this morning... so no play dates for us until its gone... bummer? yes! but i dont want to get others sick!