Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-09-2009, 12:11 AM   #41
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

Re: If your kid is sick, STAY HOME

IMO sick means: diarrhea, a fever, vomiting, a runny nose that is obviously not teething etc. I mean if your kid is obviously sick, cranky etc, they probably don't want to be dragged all over the place, and I certainly don't want them infecting us KWIM?

True story: the same mom brought her kid to playgroup and announced 15 minutes into the group after she had put her down on the playmat and let her put a bunch of toys in her mouth that her daughter had had the runs for 2 weeks! Her kid ended up having rotovirus!!!

Advertisement

Old 09-09-2009, 10:04 AM   #42
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It can't just stop at kids though. For all those who say think about the unsuspecting public those kids are infecting I say there are just as many adults spreading the germs around too. How many times have you seen somebody wipe their nose with their hand then open a door or handle money? The general public is the ones that have to get more vigilant about hand washing and better hygene in general. I personally get 5 sick days but usually I end up using them when my son can't go to daycare because of a fever, vomiting, or diahhrea. (colds are acceptable green and all).
Old 09-09-2009, 10:57 AM   #43
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

ugh I know... I can't tell you how often I used to get sick when I was working, because someone wanted to be a hero and come into work with strep throat, the flu, or a really bad cold etc. So now instead of them taking 2 sick days or whatever, they've spread germs all over the office or even multiple floors especially if it's airborne. That stuff gets pumped directly into everybody's cubicles thanks to central air.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #44
cereal527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmyann View Post
It can't just stop at kids though. For all those who say think about the unsuspecting public those kids are infecting I say there are just as many adults spreading the germs around too. How many times have you seen somebody wipe their nose with their hand then open a door or handle money? The general public is the ones that have to get more vigilant about hand washing and better hygene in general. I personally get 5 sick days but usually I end up using them when my son can't go to daycare because of a fever, vomiting, or diahhrea. (colds are acceptable green and all).
ITA!
cereal527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:55 AM   #45
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I HATE it when ppl do that! For the love of God, stay home and take care of your child. Thats more important than socializing/traveling imo.

I hope your LO is feeling better
Old 09-22-2009, 11:20 PM   #46
jbatic
Registered Users
seller

When the kids are sick or show symptoms we do not do any extra activites and no one comes to our house. If there are other signs then just a runny nose we stop by the dr and have everything checked out.

However as far as me staying home from work (my dh absolutely cannot miss work) I only stay home if they are vomiting/fever/diarrhea (only has to be one of the above) and will stay home till the dr gives the all clear.

I used to stay home and use my PTO for every green nose until I realized that my sitter (SIL) even though she is a germaphobe likes the money more and does not send anyone home for good old snotty nose viruses. So we would stay home but it typically had come from one of the kids anyways and would still be spread. So now we go and I save my PTO for bad sickies from either one of the three of us and I do not feel bad about it because obviously the other parents have no worries.

Thankfully any kids who is obviously sick with the vomiting/fever/diarrhea do not come. and it only seems my poor baby girl gets the snotty nose not my son.

Treetop Baby http://www.treetopbaby.com
jbatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:47 PM   #47
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh I HATE that.. I have a friend that does that.

I also got sick from her kids when i was pregnant. she failed to mention to me that they had horrible colds before I came over, then i saw them with snot all over the place.. ugh.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:55 AM   #48
carsonsmommy1108
Registered Users
seller

Yea I really hate that! DH and I start school next week and Carson will be starting daycare, so this week we go in with him 3 times to get him acclimated so it isn't brand new when we leave him there next week, well today was our first day and there was another baby there who had full on green snot running down her face...eww! I asked the teacher in his room about it, she said that the mom had been called, but when she was dropped off the mom hadn't mentioned the runny nose and she thinks that mom may have just wiped baby's nose before they got there, because not 5 minutes after the mom left the green yucky snot started.

Seriously, if there is snot running down your kids' nose, don't take the to daycare, ESPECIALLY an infant that will be around other infants! Carson is the in the crawling to walking infant room, so there are babies in there that are early crawlers and as young as about 5 months, that is so not cool!
carsonsmommy1108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:21 PM   #49
ladylee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddle1 View Post
IMO sick means: diarrhea, a fever, vomiting, a runny nose that is obviously not teething etc. I mean if your kid is obviously sick, cranky etc, they probably don't want to be dragged all over the place, and I certainly don't want them infecting us KWIM?

True story: the same mom brought her kid to playgroup and announced 15 minutes into the group after she had put her down on the playmat and let her put a bunch of toys in her mouth that her daughter had had the runs for 2 weeks! Her kid ended up having rotovirus!!!
That same mom is probably the type to say, "If your kid didn't get it from mine, s/he would have gotten it somewhere

The mostly used excuse I hear is, "It's just allergies."
ladylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #50
maureen73
Registered Users
seller

This is my major pet peeve as a mother. A so called "normal, run of the mill cold" can be FATAL to my daughter who has severe asthma that is triggered by even the most simple virus. The first week of our church pre-k co-op my son caught a slight cold. He and my infant had normal symptoms and were fine. My daughter, age 2 on the other hand was rushed by ambulance, 911 to the hospital for respiratory distress from this "run of the mill cold". I worked as mother's helper in the nursery at the co-op one day and had to bring Hannah and my infant (DH called into work...normally Hannah stays home at all costs). The nursery woman's kids were there too with green snot dripping...I asked her if everything was "okay" and she said "Oh, yes...my daughter has strep throat but that was two days ago"???? Well, we left immediately but I just don't get it. I am currently homeschooling my son and daughter for pre-k this year because I don't want to risk irresponsible parents sending there kids to school when they are sick. It makes me so sad because he really enjoyed the program. If your kids are SICK please keep them home. The $28,000 PICU trip and almost loss of my daughter on several occassions was a big eye opener for our family.

Last edited by maureen73; 09-23-2009 at 02:36 PM.
maureen73 is offline   Reply With Quote