Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Colic, Reflux, or What!!!!????

So, my new son, Quinn, is a great baby. He sleeps well, eats well, and is just so much more compliant than our last son, who has SPD. The issue with Quinn is the screaming! He has "times" that he gets gas (farts and burps like a man) and then screams. My step kids had colic and reflux as babies. I can feel the gas in him. I have cut out dairy, fruit, and veggies - my biggest gas makers. I have given Gripe water, simethicone, colic tabs, and Zantac. He still will have these screaming fits at certain times per day. It is the worst from about 6 PM till 9 PM.

This is when nothing works. He screams and looks terrified. I burp, bounce, walk, rock, pat, shhhhhhh, talk lightly, sing, and everything else in between. NOTHING calms him. Not a booby, not a bottle, not a paci. He is 4 weeks old and I am not buying he has reflux. He seems to be fine spitting up and does it very rarely. He does have LOTS of gas however. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I need help to help my son. I can handle the screaming emotionally, but I am sad for my son. Clearly something is not right to be screaming like that.

Advertisement

l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

Re: Colic, Reflux, or What!!!!????

Sounds to me like DS is going through what is called "the witching hour". My DS did it for about 3 months from about 5pm to 7pm or sometimes 8. It was HORRIBLE!!! Nothing I did would calm him down. It's just a phase but it too will pass. Good luck mama!
http://www.ehow.com/how_4717711_surv...hing-hour.html
Old 09-21-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DFS went through that. It was HORRIBLE. We lived on gas drops. Since he is bottle fed, I just started putting them in every bottle. It helped some. Now we know that he aspirates his formula, and that explains some of the screaming. We used to go for long walks every night because it was the only way you could not throw him!

Also what helped was bicycling his legs, tummy time, and wearing him in the Bjorn (I know they are evil, but OMG did it help both my kids).

If it doesn't get better, ask your doctor for a swallow study. He may be aspirating, which hurts like hell. We mistook it for gas/reflux for about 4 months. And babies don't have to spit up to have reflux. DFS never spit up at all, but has reflux so bad it goes up his nose and makes him sneeze.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 09-21-2009 at 09:57 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:36 PM   #4
Charitys*Creations
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My LO had colic from 6 weeks to 6 months and I tried everything, gas drops, tummy massages, changing her formula, etc. I was doing some research and found this site www.coliccalm.com I bought some, what could it hurt, I thought I was going insane or I had a devil child. The day I got it and she started fussing, I let her fuss for a while trying to calm her down, but nothing so I gave her the full does of coliccalm and with in seconds she calmed down and took a nap. I was soooo happy. It is also great for teething and any tummy problems. I have even used it and it works. I also suggest in the www.miracleblanket.com We would use that at night and that also helps with colic. She would sleep for 4-6 hours straight, without she would only sleep for 1-2 hours. those two products help my sanity!!!!

Last edited by Charitys*Creations; 09-21-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Charitys*Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #5
justjacqueline
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son did the exact same thing! He had gas so badly I knew it wasn't normal! It smelled so terrible too, not just like regular baby gas. It was rancid. He has a milk protein allergy. Even if you cut it from your diet, and you have to cut it all from your diet, even bread that contains milk or whey (read the labels carefully!) Even hot dogs have whey. It's tricky. AND it can take up to 6 full weeks for everything to completely leave your system and stop affecting him.

It's awful, but I couldn't take it anymore. I switched him to Similac Alimentum which is hypoallergenic and has the milk protein already broken down and he has been a baby that rarely cries since. He literally only cries when he is hungry now. I am glad I made the switch. He's glad too.
justjacqueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

His farts are RANCID! My Dh smells better...LOL!! I am calling his doc as I am now suspecting a milk issue. I do not drink milk, but do like cheese, ice cream, and know I take in whey. I had a child with a milk allergy and had to do a completely non-dairy diet for him. I am sure WW will not be easy on such a diet, but I will have to do it.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
doodah
Registered Users
seller

My daughter has reflux and colic. We are doing a combo of medication for reflux and chiro adjustments. She is only 8 weeks and thank goodness we have found something that is helping. I have an older daughter and an in-home daycare so I am very used to crying and different needs of kids and her cries were just so horrible.....literally screaming in pain with the worst, stinkiest gas in the evening. I hope you find what works for you. I tried everything I could think of before resorting to medication but this is what has worked for us.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:11 AM   #8
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Well...looks like it is a milk protein allergy. I have given up all products with any dairy, including whey and caesin. He is already screaming less after a few days. I can imagine how happy he will be in a few weeks.