Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-22-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
joslin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
14mo old is bored with his toys

So he has lots of stuff but I rotate so there is not a ton of stuff out at once, he's got 4 drawers of stuff in the kitchen he has looked in once and an entire cabinet that is his full of interesting boxes and cartons that we made up for him. He has a play room full of books, some plastic or wood regular toys and lots of cartons and cans and play silks and blocks, musical stuff. He has his own keyboard and mouse and cameras (all old detached from things). Balls, cars, etc.

And he is interested in nothing. For months now all he will do is toddle in circles and whine to me for things that he cannot have or to do- things that we are not going to do right now (like watch baby signing time, or go upstairs to get his soap or be lifted up to the window for the millionth time to see if the dogs next-door are outside).

He is starting to mimic and I often give him a sponge or a rag and he "cleans" I also bought him a little hand broom and dustpan and he also cleans with that. But that's it. When I try to engage him in actual "play" he is not interested, he won't roll balls with me or vroom vroom his cars. The only time he leaves me alone is when I am in the room where most of his toys are which he avoids like the plague, other than that he follows me around as I try to get things accomplished.

I try to involve him- like have him "help" me unload the dishwasher and have him "help" me get things out of the fridge. But there is not a ton of that to be done in a day.

what should I do? this two hours in the super -early morning so we are not going to go out and play or anything, the rest of the day is easier since it is not one big chunk of time in the house.

Advertisement

joslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Re: 14mo old is bored with his toys

we have a 13 month old at my daycare that does the EXACT thing and he used to be so good at playing by himself. he just follows us around the house, whines and only wants the toys that someone else has. It is a very common phase for little ones. Keep encouraging him to play by himself at times and try to get some more active type toys for him. Sounds like many of your toys are things he would sit down and play with and he probably needs some more physical activity. A climber/slide keeps our kids busy for hours and you can get one small enough to keep inside. Push toys or ride-one toys would be a good idea. Anything to keep him moving! A crawl thru tunnel is another fun item for busy toddlers. A sand or water table is fun too because they can just dig for hours in there. You can also put rice, beans or other things in the table that might be more appropriate if you have to keep the toy inside.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:35 PM   #3
KaylaJayne
Registered Users
seller

My DS was that way for a while - we took away 1/2 his toys and started swapping them every month or so... then he started learning to play on his own... probably an age thing.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
south5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd is like this too! She wants me to read her the same book 500 times not in the correct order, if I try to get her to do anything else she whines. She won't play with any of her toys alone.
We got a pop-out play tunnel and that entertained her for the first week, but now she's back to whining.
If you have other children at home try getting them to interact with her. My oldest son will play with her so I can do school with my younger son.