Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:42 AM   #1
juliemom2faith
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
which should come first?

Ok I need to do two things with my 14m daughter and not sure in which order or even how to begin.
1) I need to get her off the bottle or at least get rid of night feedings, she is still on a bottle (milk) she drinks 2 8 oz bottles overnight, we cosleep and i usually just put a bottle in her mouth when she cries(i know thats wrong but it works to help us sleep) I have tried switching her nighttime bottles to part or all water but nope she knows the difference and will just cry and cry and then goes into hysterics until she throws up. Trying to soothe her by patting her, cuddling etc does not work she wants the bottle. She will not take a pacifier at all she gave that up at 3 months. I am not worried about daytime bottles much as she only takes a bottle at naptime the rest of the time is cups. but i want to try to get rid of some of the night bottles.

2) I want to transition her to her own bed.

not sure which one should come first? and any advice on how to go about it would be helpful.

Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
KaylaJayne
Registered Users
seller

Re: which should come first?

Oooh that's a hard one mama! I am unfortunately no help for the bottle thing because my DS who is 22 months old still takes a bottle to go to sleep at night (water) and nap (water)

I'd start with the transition to her own bed because she will be able to soothe still with her "comfort" object of the bottle and then work on the bottle...
Old 09-23-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

How gradually did you do the bottles with water? If you mix just an ounce water with 7 ounces milk, can she still tell the difference?

As for which to do first, I guess it depends on which one bothers you most -- the bottles or the cosleeping.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
juliemom2faith
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yes i started doing just one ounce at a time ..she didnt notice replacing one ounce but after a week when i switched to two ounces water she noticed and would not take it...she doesnt like water.

neither actually bother me but we need to stop the cosleeping before the baby is born and with the bottles im having to change her 3+ times a night which is not so cool for my sleeping.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
south5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think you have to get rid of the bottle before having her sleep on her own. If you put her in a bed now, she will be waking you up twice to go get her a bottle.
If you have help at all, arrange for a sitter or your husband to stay home a couple days. Instead of getting her bottles at night, get up and go to another room to rock her or walk with her. See if she falls asleep by distracting her. If she doesn't, then maybe she's hungry at night still.
Try feeding her a big snack right before bed. The husband or sitter is so you can nap in the morning.
My dd would nurse at 2am through 13 months. I wanted to wean that feeding, so I would try to rock her or walk and I gave her a snack right before putting her to bed. This helped us and she quit wanting to nurse at 2am by the time she turned 14 months, and was sleeping in her crib throughout the night.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #6
Birbitt
Registered Users

I'd get rid of the bottle first since that one can have an impact on her teeth. I'd try during the day to get her to drink water and once she's willing to drink it during the day then you can give it to her at night as well. My oldest hated water at first but now he actually prefers water over other drinks.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:56 AM   #7
FairyBeautifulMama
Registered Users
Formerly: j***imm
seller

My Mood:

I would say the bottle first. I would just go cold turkey no milk. You can give her the bottle with nothing in it. Let her suck on it for a min or so until she realizes its gone. If she gets upset. Just remind her that it is bed time and that the milk is all gone. DS used to have the thing about taking his milk with him to bed. Now he gets a cup of milk 30 mins before bed. Then as we are going up to bed he stops at the fridge. We tell his cup good night (usually empty) and place it in the fridge. The first few times I explained to him that everything goes night night and he can wake his cup up in the morning. It took a few days but not it doesnt bother him.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

I'd get rid of the bottle first.

Not sure how to suggest doing it though - my daughter was 22 months when we got rid of hers. She got sick (stomach virus or something) and was vomiting anything she'd take in and we skipped the bottles a few nights and she never asked for it again.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote