Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
tranmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Taking prenatal vitamins/supplements...hair falling out

I stopped taking the prenatals not long after DD was born 15 months ago. Over the past few months, I've noticed that my hair is falling out horribly. Not just a hair here or there. Lots of hair. Not like clumps or anything, but I can't take a shower without first cleaning out the drain. Anyways, I spoke with my hair stylist and she is almost positive that it's because I'm not taking the vitamins like I should be, since I still nurse quite a bit. She suggested that I start them up again.

So, I bought some prenatals and will begin taking them. However, I also have a bottle of Mommy's Bliss Omega-3 fish oil capsules that I bought a long time ago and never began taking. I'm wondering if I should start taking these, too, in addition to the vitamins. Is it necessary, or will it help me even more? I know that the vitamins and the fish oil with extra DHA will help DD, but will it help me you think?

Advertisement

Old 01-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
txmom72
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Taking prenatal vitamins/supplements...hair falling out

Fish oil is always good for you. I'm not sure if it helps with the hair issue or not, but it does help your brain.

Have you been tested for a low-thyroid? Hair loss is one symptom, along with exteme tiredness.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
tranmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've never been tested for low thyroid, but I'm not tired at all. It hasn't even occurred to me, really. I am actually not getting a ton of sleep, but I still have energy during the day. Makes me wonder, though, if low thyroid is hereditary. My grandma was diagnosed a long time ago with that and has to take meds for it.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
Riverdavidsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It sounds like your DD is older, but for the first year after I had my son I was taking prenatals and my hair fell out in clumps. I breastfeed too, but from what I understand (I believe it was my OB who told me this) it doesn't have anything to do with that. There's a hormone your body produces during pregnancy that keeps your hair from falling out and once you're not pregnant you start losing a lot of those hairs that you "kept" during your pregnancy.
I actually felt like my hairline was receding at one point. But then it just stopped and I started getting baby hairs again, like around the front of my scalp and stuff. Then it was back to normal. Maybe your hair loss time is just lasting a bit longer? Everyone is different. Some people hardly notice it, some (like me) have huge clumps coming out in their hands. LOL. Hope that helps!
Old 01-02-2009, 10:38 PM   #5
MammaNilsson
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdavidsmama View Post
It sounds like your DD is older, but for the first year after I had my son I was taking prenatals and my hair fell out in clumps. I breastfeed too, but from what I understand (I believe it was my OB who told me this) it doesn't have anything to do with that. There's a hormone your body produces during pregnancy that keeps your hair from falling out and once you're not pregnant you start losing a lot of those hairs that you "kept" during your pregnancy.
I actually felt like my hairline was receding at one point. But then it just stopped and I started getting baby hairs again, like around the front of my scalp and stuff. Then it was back to normal. Maybe your hair loss time is just lasting a bit longer? Everyone is different. Some people hardly notice it, some (like me) have huge clumps coming out in their hands. LOL. Hope that helps!
...except that I've been told that if noticeable hair loss continues past 12 mos you need to see a dr. A regular family dr will do. Like the pp mentioned post pregnancy hair loss which typically lasts from 3-9 mos postpartum is strictly related to estrogen increases during pregnancy, not breastfeeding. I don't know why, but my sister in law who is a hairdresser was told that breastfeeding women typically experience hairloss so that misinformation is apparently floating around among hairdressers one way or another.
MammaNilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
puddlefoot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never stopped taking my prenatal and my hair still falls out... I think it might be a hormonal thing... not nutritional. Don't worry, it will stop I promise!