Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
Samo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Coughing at every feeding!

My baby coughs every single time she is feeding . I can't figure out why! She coughs herself red and has even vomited in the middle of coughing a couple of occasions. I just feel so bad like i am doing something wrong (even though everything seems right and i know it's "not my fault").

Is it just a newborn phase? Although she never had the coughing fits in the hospital or the first couple of days home, they just started up some days ago and it has not let up . She's a bit stuffy and congested...could the phlegm from the congestion be bothering her while nursing?

Help!

Advertisement

Samo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

Re: Coughing at every feeding!

It definately could be the cold and snuffiness...try putting a little bit of breastmilk up her nose and using a bulb syringe suck out her nostrils. Try nursing her in a position that she is a little bit more upright as well....

OR

Has this been going on since your milk came in? The reason I am asking this, is you may have an over active letdown and it is causing her to choke and sputter because it is blasting her when your milk comes out. So what you could do is express a little bit of milk prior to the feeding by pumping just long enough for your intial letdown happens, or try nursing where you are reclined a bit, gravity will cause the milk to not blast quite so fast.
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:22 PM   #3
reesesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicap View Post
Has this been going on since your milk came in? The reason I am asking this, is you may have an over active letdown and it is causing her to choke and sputter because it is blasting her when your milk comes out. So what you could do is express a little bit of milk prior to the feeding by pumping just long enough for your intial letdown happens, or try nursing where you are reclined a bit, gravity will cause the milk to not blast quite so fast.
I had this issue . . . It cause my DD to be a major spit-upper! I would pump a little off first and that helped her to not have the rush that would choke her. i also found being reclined helped . . . it seems odd at first but i used the football position and then it was like she was sitting, sort of.

HTH!!

Working Mama, trying to stay on cloth FT
reesesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
Samo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicap View Post
this does make a bit of sense to me...it's only been about a week since my milk started to come in and the coughing and such started happening soon after.

Could that be the cause of the projectile vomiting as well? When that happens it's almost as if she vomits an entire feeding. That is starting to make me nervous every feeding, that she could just spray her and myself at any moment. Luckily that doesn't happen every feeding (maybe 5 or 6 times total in just the past 3 days) and it doesn't seem to bother her at all (no crying or fussiness).
Samo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:19 PM   #5
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

Def. could be the reason that she is vomiting that way. If you have an overactive letdown, she may be having to gulp a lot to keep up and not feel like she is drowning and if she is having to gulp then she is getting some serious air bubbles.

I have had an oversupply with 2 of my kids and they would projectile some days when they just could not handle the flood...before I learned what to do to curb it.

But if the projectile continues and there is screaming that accompanies it, and it happens more often, call your ped...but it does not sound like that is an issue.
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote