Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2009, 08:03 AM   #1
ivybean
Registered Users

My Mood:
How many times a day?

Maybe this is question for "introducing solids" but I'm just wondering how often babies nurse at certain ages? My LO is 7 1/2 months old and she nurses 5 times a day. I want to BF until she's 1 yo...how does this work as she gets a little older? I give her 2 or 3 solid meals a day. When will she BF just morning and night? Ever??? I work PT and pump while I'm away. While I LOVE BFing her, I'm getting a bit sick of the pump and would LOVE to be able to go run errands or do something for myself without having to worry about missing a feeding. I'm getting a bit exhausted!

Any thoughts?

Advertisement

ivybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
nemawei
DS Addict!
seller

My Mood:
Re: How many times a day?

Subbing

nemawei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:00 AM   #3
MammaNilsson
Registered Users
seller

Unfortunately, the answer to your question is that every baby is different. Some babies will nurse every 2 hours or so until they are 9 mos. old even when solids have been introduced. Others will cut back drastically on nursing as soon as solids are introduced. For many babies, introducing solids doesn't really drastically alter nursing frequency until after they are 1 year old.

Generally speaking when folks say their one year old nurses 3-4 times a day, that's pretty typical. When folks say their 2 year old nurses 3-4 times a day, that's not unusual. Mine did and then within about a month of her 2nd birthday, she dropped down to just morning and night and since about a month after that nurses only once a day. She's not even 2 and a half now, but I did nothing to encourage her to drop any of her nursing sessions, she just stopped asking. I was never one to ask her in the first place so that was the end of that. :shrug:

Every child is different and they all nurse for different reasons...comfort, hunger, thirst, reconnect after separation from mother (especially if mom works)...there are other reasons too. Obviously, how often they nurse is going to be related to why they are nursing in the first place. It just depends on your baby.

Generally speaking though, I wouldn't worry about missing a nursing session while running errands with a child that is eating solids. Their nursing needs can wait until you're done and if they get hungry they can snack on something.
MammaNilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
puddlefoot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You will be surprised how much your little one will still breastfeed even with solids. It is such an important part of his little life to bond with his momma. Just let him show you what he needs. He will.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:21 AM   #5
ivybean
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks! I'm just always so worried about my supply going down that if I'm out and miss a feeding I always try to pump to make up for it. Do I not need to do this? I usually pump after the morning feeding anyway to keep my freezer stocked or to have milk to mix with her oatmeal...
ivybean is offline   Reply With Quote