Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2008, 09:57 PM   #11
fieroangel
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Cost of beating thrush?

I'm not sure how your ins. works but I have whats called a "copay" on my RX and no matter how many pills are in the RX its sitll $20 so for 1 dose of the yeast meds or for 2 weeks worth its still gonna be $20. You might want to check that out. Also think of the cost of formula vs what you'll spend to treat you and your baby for thrush

Advertisement

fieroangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:36 PM   #12
Alioop
Registered Users
Formerly: goulds
seller

My Mood:

You can also use monistat on you and externally on the babe....it is safe for the baby to nurse after using. And, remember to bleach, boil and be very careful with your clothes, and LO's diapers to kill what is lingering.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:24 AM   #13
ladybug6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am another sad case. We had thrush for a month back and forth when she was 6 weeks. Tried EVERYTHING. When I was better, but DD was still suffering I started pumping and giving her EBM in a bottle. By the time she was better, she would NOT go back on. I tried for MONTHS to get her back on, with no luck!

I have just now (1 year later) weaned from the pump because she have given up her bottles.

Try EVERYTHING you can think of/hear about! Good luck!
Expecting #4 4/4/2011
ladybug6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:25 AM   #14
pixilated
Registered Users
seller

$47.95 for APNO, which if I'd just send the paperwork into insurance, i'd get all but $8 of it reimbursed.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #15
littamomto4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did the gentian violet for three days three to four times a day and I washed all our clothes in clorox two for three weeks . I did this method after having recurring thrush three times!!! I did the clorox and gentian violet and havent had anymore problems!

I my niece and nephew now, and also baby's I babysit.
littamomto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #16
froggy167
Registered Users
seller

GSE (grapefruit seed extract) is also good for treating thrush.

http://www.kellymom.com/newman/c-can...tocol.html#gse

and here is lots more info on thrush:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html
froggy167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:17 PM   #17
happylittlefamily
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I wish I could be a positive story, but I battled thrush in my milk ducts for 4 months with my son. It was HORRIBLE!! He'd have the thrush rash on his bottom and mouth. It was constant. I am one of the ones who had to do the meds. I did the meds 2 the first day, the 1 more each day for 14 days. It cleared up for about 1-2 wks and then we had it again. We did 2 more rounds of meds like that ($10 per pill!) and then I quit nursing. We did everything!! Gentian violet, lotrimen af, boiling, sun treatment, bleach, etc. It did clear up a few days after I stopped nursing, but I had to do the lotrimen on my nipples for those days too to get it completely cleared up. The acidophilus pills did nothing for me and neither did the many quart containers of yogurt I downed during that time. I seriously was scarred of ever nursing another child. It was the worst experience of my life (and I had mastitis 4 times with my first son, so I know breast pain! Also had thrush in my milk ducts with my first son, but stopped nursing right at the start of it, so didn't battle like I did with ds#2.) and didn't enjoy a single feeding. I just appear to have issues with thrush in my milk ducts. (For anyone wanting to know why it's that big of a deal, think of glass being crushed inside your boob for entire feedings and the hour following each feed!! HORRIBLE and excrusiating pain) We spent about $700-$750 in all of our treatments and I couldn't do it anymore. The reason the pill will not go down in price is because it's a one time use yeast infection medication. BTW, I've NEVER had a single vaginal yeast infection in my life! Weird, huh? Anyway, because the dosage isn't meant to be used more than once, you have to pay for each pill on a cash basis. Insurance won't cover it, but you can try calling around to different pharmacies to see if they can give you a better cash price. I hope by now you are getting some relief. Be very careful with the gentian violet!! That stuff is extremely potent and should not be used for more than 4 days at a time. The best website I found was breastfeedingonline.com. I actually emailed Dr. Jack about everything and once I tried everything, they walked me through the weaning process. They were awesome. Anyway, I wish I had a better experience to offer, but I can totally empathize if nothing else. Sorry and lots of hugs mama!!

Erica
happylittlefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:43 PM   #18
missionsmamma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was able to beat thrush in about 2 weeks! I was in excruciating pain and *hoped* it was not thrush for about 1 week before doing anything about it. I had to take 3 rounds of antibiotic in the hospital so within 2 weeks it was out of control with a newborn nursing every 2 hours. I tried everything ... I cut sugar completely out of my diet (this is a lot of work, I looked up a no sugar diet and went by that), gentian violet 2X a day for 7 days, took acidophilus and garlic pills, washed my nipples with a vinegar/water solution after every feeding, washed the sheets/towels/bras (or anything that touched my breasts or my babies mouth) in hot water in between uses (lots of laundry but again worth it!), exposed nips to the air every chance I got (I don't think I wore a shirt for 2 days straight and with the gentian violet on them I was a site!) and when possible sat by a window to sun myself (it was Dec after all), and I ended up taking the fluconazole 3 times every other day. My little guy ended up with a yeast rash and had to the fluconazole too. I know some have been able to beat and others have not. Don't beat yourself up if you aren't able to get rid of it. Like PP said kellymom is a great website to get info at. Have a blessed evening!
missionsmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:09 PM   #19
corey0902
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionsmamma View Post
I was able to beat thrush in about 2 weeks! I was in excruciating pain and *hoped* it was not thrush for about 1 week before doing anything about it. I had to take 3 rounds of antibiotic in the hospital so within 2 weeks it was out of control with a newborn nursing every 2 hours. I tried everything ... I cut sugar completely out of my diet (this is a lot of work, I looked up a no sugar diet and went by that), gentian violet 2X a day for 7 days, took acidophilus and garlic pills, washed my nipples with a vinegar/water solution after every feeding, washed the sheets/towels/bras (or anything that touched my breasts or my babies mouth) in hot water in between uses (lots of laundry but again worth it!), exposed nips to the air every chance I got (I don't think I wore a shirt for 2 days straight and with the gentian violet on them I was a site!) and when possible sat by a window to sun myself (it was Dec after all), and I ended up taking the fluconazole 3 times every other day. My little guy ended up with a yeast rash and had to the fluconazole too. I know some have been able to beat and others have not. Don't beat yourself up if you aren't able to get rid of it. Like PP said kellymom is a great website to get info at. Have a blessed evening!
What the other pp said is great advice. I would also wash the baby's mouth out with water after feedings and before application of the GV so that your BM doesn't leave a residue on the inside of his mouth. Also make sure you don't freeze any BM while your treating for thrush as freezing doesn't kill the yeast spores and you can reinfect later. There is also a prescription nipple ointment with steriods to help combat the yeast. PM me if your interested in the ingredients and I can send them to you. Good Luck!

Last edited by corey0902; 10-20-2008 at 09:10 PM.
corey0902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #20
mrjsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We had the same troubles with babe #1, this is what we did and didn't do...
no nystatin drops for baby...funny its made with a type of sugar isn't that what helps yeast to thrive?? Yeast is present everywhere and we can't eliminate it completely but we can eliminate overgrowth...so don't think you can completely rid yourself of it. We did use GV but sparingly only when my nipples were sooooo sore. If the baby had patches on her tongue and my nipples weren't sore I just made sure to do some of the following:
1/2 water 1/2 vinegar rinse my nipples after feeding...(I just made a spray bottle and let it dry on there between feedings..
absolutely NOOOO bra and/or breast pads when I was at home (thats just a rule now anyways and I think thats why I haven't had problems with babies 2 and 3). Yeast loooves wet and dark places...Keep em dry! This sounds weird but if you live in a secluded area get some real sunlight on your nipples about 10min 2 - 3 times per day... This really worked for me, Sunlight kills yeast..which is why it is great to hang dipes in the sun. My DH would laugh at me cause I would carry around receiving blankets in my pockets for when I would leak...or I would just change my shirts 10X a day.
I would take real acidophilus...real is the live acidophilus that you have to keep cold in the refrigerator. Its expensive though..Lots of plain yogurt
no sugar added. AND this really killed me...I had to stop drinking any juices. I love juice and this was hard. Now I just drink water and am totally used to it now. HOpe this helps and again yeast is impossible to completely kill forever...we just have to do things to inhibit its OVERGROWTH..good luck mamas
mrjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote