Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2009, 12:10 AM   #1
tandemBFmamaof2
Registered Users

My Mood:
So annoyed with 20/20!!!!

I hated watching tonight. Extended breastfeeding and natural birthing is grouped in the same category as women with fake babies????? Seriously????? And it was titled, "Extreme Motherhood." That ticks me off. I'm not extreme because I nourish a 33 month old from my breast, I'm just a mom. And the women with dolls, they aren't moms!!!! They are pretend babies!!!! Is anyone else offended by this story? Children were meant to be breastfed and ABC portrayed it so poorly as if it was crazy to do so. I'm just so mad tonight and wanted to see if anyone else was.

Advertisement

Old 01-03-2009, 12:16 AM   #2
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
Formerly: MyTwoSunshines
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: So annoyed with 20/20!!!!

You aren't the only one thats upset and offended. I actually have been contemplating how to write a letter to them. I had so many unusual stares/comments when I nursed my son til he was 2 1/2. They said on the show tonight that the average weaning age is 4 years old in the US. That made me a bit happier because hubby looked at me then like he didn't realize I was telling the truth when I mentioned this before. Anyways, no, you're not alone. I have it in my right mind to let them know what I thought of their show tonight, too. I'm sure they offended MANY mothers with their stupid show!
Kylyn Leigh born 10/31/2015
*MamaStacy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:37 AM   #3
ShayneLeMaster
no caption needed
seller

My Mood:

I didnt have the chance to EBF past 19-20m Gage weaned himself+pregnancy. But I was disappointed at how such vauge information could be told to be so negative

I had actually started a post on 20/20 before it started in the Off topic forum,
Old 01-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
ohmmama
Registered Users
seller

I wasn't offended. I guess I just laughed at the fake baby part. PSYCHOS! But I watched it with my mom and she loved the extended bfing part! I thought that was awesome since she never BFed. She knows that a child will wean themselves whether its 2 or 7. She seems very supportive. And I didnt have a homebirth (let alone orgasmic!!) So it was really cool to learn about it. I saw another documentary on attachment parenting and they interviewed a child psychologist and he said extended BFing was sexual abuse!! That did offend me!
Old 01-03-2009, 04:49 PM   #5
cupcakesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah - was that really 'news'? With all the stuff going on that is where they focussed their negative energy. I saw it too.
#2 surprise due in Nov 2014
cupcakesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
bjaneen
Banned

My Mood:

i missed it- but it sounds like a good thing i missed it!
bjaneen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
angel95annie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I missed it too. Did they really portray extended BFing negatively? If they did, they won't hear the end of it from upset moms around the US! They will have to issue a statement and maybe even an on air apology!

Remember the Motrin ad against babywearers? LOL Don't piss off moms!!

Bloggin' bout my crazy life at Mama Dweeb!
angel95annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:31 PM   #8
gogokim
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I think my dh's comment was something like"trying to tear the families apart" The doll segment was just silly. Grown women paying $1400 and playing w/ dolls is just silly. The rest of it was bad journalism at best. I cannot believe they think a mom nursing 2.5 yr olds is odd In our house the magic #is 3. We have never made it to 3 but it is there. To each his own.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:42 PM   #9
tasbaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DH and I watched it and his response to the BF part was, "huh, 8 seems pretty old. 2 or 3 is totally normal though so why are they making a big deal about that?"
Old 01-03-2009, 11:55 PM   #10
kendra1178
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasbaby View Post
DH and I watched it and his response to the BF part was, "huh, 8 seems pretty old. 2 or 3 is totally normal though so why are they making a big deal about that?"
Yeah, that was pretty much our response.

The thing is, they started out the story about the mom is just like any other SAHM except for one thing... she still BFs her 2.5yo twins. DH and I were shocked and confused over that one because that just seems normal to us.

Then they moved on to the story about the BF 6yo and threw in a story about a BF 8yo for good measure. So, yeah... that IS different. It's past my personal comfort level, but still WHO CARES? I'm surprised they thought they should have a news story about it.

I am a bit annoyed that they lumped together a BF 2yo with the 6 and 8 yo children. It's like they had an agenda to let people know that it is abnormal to BF a 2yo when it is totally normal and healthy.

That segment about the ladies with dolls. Wow. That is just out there. Strange. DH and I kept exchanging "looks" and making coocoo clock noises to indicate craziness. The interesting part is that I have a friend that I could see doing that down the road to get the attention she "deserves" from having a baby to show off at the park. But even this story didn't seem like it was some important issue that needed to be on the show. At least it was entertaining....LOL