Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-25-2007, 10:00 AM   #1
Ilikecloth
Banned
seller

My Mood:
On the PTing topic..FRUSTRATED with lazy plearner..

I KNOW DD is ready, shes almost 3, knows when she has to pee( not so sure about the poop) and will stand there and look down, wait for it, THEN pee in the floor...She pees onthe couch and will pee on the potty if I catch it in time, I usually give her a full 8oz of something to drink then about 15 mins later go get her on the potty, if she hasnt already peed in the floor she willingly pees on the potty...

The reason I think its just her being lazy and wanting to be the "baby" as she often refers to herself, is because if the TV is off, she will listen to me ask her to get on the potty and is obviously mre aware of her need, but when that dang thing is on, she rarely gets to the potty in time...

HELP!?!? If the TV is off, all day I hear I WANT TO WATCH CARTOONS! Its VERY hot here and we dont play outside unless is early morning or late afternoon when the sun isnt fully out... so alot of outside play w.out underwear is out..

Advertisement

Ilikecloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:54 AM   #2
myrrh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: On the PTing topic..FRUSTRATED with lazy plearner..

Mama, though your dd may know the signs of needing to go pee, she may just not be ready. Most kids will potty learn on their own by 4 yrs old. Both of my kids were PL by 3yrs 8mos (boy) and 3yrs 6mos (girl). No stress, very few accidents and the kids were willing.

My sil does what you're doing and she seriously ends up PT the kids for almost 2 years (she starts at about 2.5). It becomes a power struggle. Kids don't have control over very much, and they can make this a huge issue.

If I were you, I'd keep her in dipes unless she asks to be in undies. Then I'd allow that as long as she can be responsible to go on the toilet. If she has an accident, it's back into the diaper with no condemnation, just a "we'll try again later" and her helping to clean up her mess. I'd also offer the toilet a couple of times a day (would you like to go sit on the potty?) and let her decide. She may say no most of the time.

I guess this was a long way of saying RELAX. She will get it on her own. I was prepared to go to 5 yrs old with my son because he had ZERO interest, but then one day 4 months before he turned 4, he asked to sit on the potty and from that point on was completely potty learned. DD was PL the way I described above.

Hang in there Mama, it will happen sooner or later. All kids have their own timeclock.
myrrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:27 PM   #3
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hmm...I'm not really sure what to tell you. DJ was the same way until recently. He has (and has had for quite a while) complete control of peeing and pooping. He would hold it when he wanted to and he would go when he wanted to. He just didn't care. I thought that the answer was putting him in underwear. I figured that as long as I had him in diapers (or trainers) going to the potty was an option but if I put him in underwear he'd figure out that he had to use the potty. WRONG! He would pee (or poop) in his pants, and go right on playing...sometimes even laughing about it. The only person it was bothering was me. I finally decided to just roll with it and I'd start him out in underwear but if he made it clear that he wasn't in the mood to use the potty (usually if he wet his pants twice that was my limit, depending on his attitude about it) I'd just put a trainer or diaper on him. I figured if he didn't care, there was no point in me stressing out about it. Suddenly, a couple of weeks ago, I guess something clicked for him because he's been using the potty most of the time. It's kind of funny...sometimes he'll ask me "Do I have a diaper on?" and that's my cue to get him to the bathroom quick. He's had a couple of accidents in the past couple of weeks but for the most part, he's over whatever that hump was now. He was kind of like your dd too in that he was really good about going to the potty when he had nothing better to do (you know, dinner time, bedtime, in the car, etc. but when he was playing, he was just too busy to stop what he was doing for even a minute. Hopefully your dd will get through whatever it is sooner rather than later.
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

DS#1 is 3.5 & just got trained... so just give it time. He was trained just after 2 & then regressed for some reason... got lazy & started doing weird things. We backed off & finally he just was trained.

He's still wetting at night but no big deal IMO.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

Have you tried rewards? Like a sticker chart or small plastic toys? For ds1 we had a huge pack of 100 toy cars from BJs and he got a car each time he used the potty. He used the potty over 20 times the first day once it clicked and slowed down from there. For ds2 I had packs of 50 dinosaurs and animals from the dollar store and he got one each time he used the potty. We've also done sticker charts at various points. I typically back off though and try again in a few weeks if my dc are having lots of accidents in their underwear and not using the potty.
Malka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:12 PM   #6
Ilikecloth
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Well weve had QUITE a few accidents this afternoon... no tv on, I Was playing with them in the floor and ignoring housework and still she had accidents...

sooo.. Im gonna keep trying, but not pushing, I ask her every 30 minutes if she has to pee, and if she wakes up dry, which is normal I take her straight to the potty and she pee's...but I think yall are right about her not realizing while shes playing that the feeling she feels when shes reminded is the same...
Ilikecloth is offline   Reply With Quote