Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2007, 02:09 AM   #1
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Allergies??? At least thats what the Dr. says....

Ok, so I have been having tons of trouble w/ my dd. I had to stop bf her abouth 2 weeks ago because of blood in dd poo. They said it was allergies, and she is on a special formula (neocate) since they think she is allergic to milk, and soy. Sooooo anyways to make a VERY long story short, she has been on this formula for about 3 weeks or so, and there is still blood in her poop, and she won't sleep, and she is always grunting an acting like she is in pain. She wakes upo about every hour or so and archers her back, she only eats like 2 ounces at a feeding, and alot of times won't eat at all. I am starting to get so freaking frustrated w/ the drs. Has anyone else been through this? I don't know if i am just being a sensitive mom or what, but i am about to through a fit and demand they run some tests! They just gave her some meds for reflux, but they are not working. ARGH! Im exausted!

Advertisement

Old 06-24-2007, 02:35 AM   #2
meghann8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Allergies??? At least thats what the Dr. says....

I don't think you're being oversensitive. Reading your post made my mommy radar ping as well. I'd take her back in and demand they look into things further.
meghann8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:45 AM   #3
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have read all the saga that has been your struggle mama and I can imagine how frustrating this must be for you. GO back and talk to them. if they dont listen can you just try another doc????
Old 06-24-2007, 08:50 PM   #4
GrahamBaby4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If it were me in this position all over again (my 2nd son was put on neocate from nursing) I would have asked a lot more questions. First, he was a child who should have been nursed no questions asked, even when he would drink from a bottle he had his nose in my boob, we even tried to relactate with that kiddo because of the allergies he had. But, what I would do if I had it to do all over again was... Find a Ped that trusted my opinion as much as I trust theirs, someone who has the same views on nursing as a priority because of the benefits just from the different type of sucking if nothing else, and then have them help me find an allergist that also views nursing as a priority and not the first thing to be switched out if something happens to go awry. I would continue nursing, have the allergist run tests on the milk to see if there is something diatairy I could change other than just "cutting out" everything - I was down to potatoes and rice with my ds, which was the last straw for me, I am a veggie and fruit person not a starchy person. The last thing I would do is switch formulas and have it go 3 weeks with the same outcome that nursing had. If you can, and if you wish to, put her back on the breast, get your milk producing again, and call doctors and ask for a meet and greet session and find one you click with. our ped I totally click with and I can call her with a concern at any time and someone calls me back pretty darned quick. I have also been referred out on 2 occasions, one an ENT and one an allergist, both of whom I had no problem with, and my concerns were again answered and taken seriously when I spoke with each of those people. however, I moved away and tried a new office, they told me to quit nursing my 2 wk old ds (my 3rd child) and to go to formula because I wasn't gettign enough sleep so they also called social services to check on my parenting without sleep!!!! it was absolutely amazing the lack of common sense these people had, and the things they "suggested" when they were supposed to be a very good practice. I went 3 times, and never went back after that. - the woman at social services who called me asked me how I was, etc etc. I told her I was tired and stressed out with 3 boys under the age of 5 and no help at home, she chuckled a little and said that it sounded normal, I did ask her if she nursed her kiddos and when I could pray for sleep. I learned to put ds3 in a sling while he nursed as I slept in the rocking chair with him... no way to drop him that way and i could actually sleep with his frequent nursing. - she is the one that suggested this!! I have called her several times to thank her as well as to ask other things (she had 6 kiddos, 2 with severe food allergies, 1 with asthma... just like my kiddos only she had more of them)
Good luck mama!!! I pray your dd gets everything straightened out and you get some peace, and I hope that you find some good friends in the process to help you when you need it most as I did.
GrahamBaby4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:15 PM   #5
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well thanks mommas! Last night has seemed to be the worst yet, she woke up screaming about every 45mins twards ten end of the night. The Dr. said to start putting her on ceareal, either in her bottle or w/ a spoon. We did it last night and now this is what we end up with, a sleepless night.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:26 PM   #6
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OKay this may sound weird but have you ever looked into a pediactric chiropractor? I know from personally watching infant after infant (i worked in a pedi chiro office before i had my son) go through that office that to many it can bring such hope and relief. So many mom's brought their babies because the dr's told them that their infants would need surgery, or lots of meds, demanded that they needed to stop nursing, or even just couldn't get an answer to what's wrong with their baby - and after a few adjustments the babies were happy and healthy and the mom's were amazed. There was one out of all of them that it brought no benefit to.

I cannot imagine having a child with any illness that i didn't know how to immediately alleviate - my son has a cold right now and i can hardly stand it, so i really cannot imagine what you're going through, but so many mom's know nothing about what a pedi chiro dr can do for their little ones, it might be worth just talking to a pedi chiro dr - they usually will consult for free.

There is no twisting or weird "Crazy" stuff.... my DS has his first adjustment at 3 days old. He has never had anything more serious than the flu.... no ear infections, digestion/gas issues, nursing probs, etc.

My family is firmly entrenched in the medical community (my sis is a NICU nurse, my aunt a lactation RN at the hospital, my uncle a DR, etc) and even they admit if their child had probs they'd seek out a competant pedi chiro - here is a link to find one in your area -

http://www.icpa4kids.com/

Just click on find a Doctor....

I hope you find a solution that helps your LO and you find a healthful peace.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:29 AM   #7
Infinity
Registered Users
Formerly: five-littlemonkeys
seller

My Mood:

I view not listening to my gut when my DD was a baby as one of my 2 most regrettable and worst parenting moments. I KNEW she was allergic to dairy/lactose intolerant but listened to the 6 Drs and 3 CNP that said it was very unlikely and that I should actually drink MORE milk! Then they recommended that I just stop BF which at 3mn old I finally did. Guess what we discovered when DD was 2yo because I finaly did the elimination diet on my own?
This lead me to discover that I never had irritable bowel syndrome like diagnosed as a child. I have a dairy sensitivity!! As does my DH. We now know that all 5 of our kids are also dairy sensitive and that the twins are sensitive to corn.

I think the PP gave you some GREAT advise!! I’d also look into acupuncture/pressure and herbal remedies. I’ve been amazed at how much they can help!

Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:53 AM   #8
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If nothing else, demand a RAST panel to check for allergies to milk and soy. No one likes to see their baby stuck with needles, but if it's not a milk allergy (and I'm sorry, but I doubt it if the blood hasn't gone away with the Neocate) then you need to see a ped GI to figure out what the problem is. Oh, and reflux meds can take awhile to work. I think it was a couple of weeks with my ds. And I agree with pp, start nursing again if you can and eliminate dairy from your diet just in case.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:14 PM   #9
clothdiapermom
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would go back to the doctor. I have gone off of dairy because my daughter is sensitive to it. She is super fussy and has green stools if I have dairy. Now that I have eliminated it about 95% she is so much happier and has better stools.

I don't know if you are still pumping to keep your supply up, but if you are I would try to do a dairy free diet.
Meg, Mom to DD#1 6/04 DD#2 4/07
(all of my items come from a non smoking, pet friendly home)
clothdiapermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:28 PM   #10
mamandeyuri
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would go back to the dr. My ds had allergies and the ped. just gave us xoponex for wheezing! The allergist did a skin test and we will be doing a rast in a few weeks.
He had the same symptoms as your dd, in fact his appetite and weight gain have improved. He's allergic to wheat, eggs, nuts, and peaches (just found that out today). Once I went on a strict elimination diet he improved and we didn't have to use formula. He's a much happier baby and sleeps much better. I hope that this helps...keep up posted!
mamandeyuri is offline   Reply With Quote