Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
nonniecita
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,307
My Mood:
Toddler constipation, please help!

Hi all,

My almost 3 year old has been dealing with constipation for the past month. I'm not sure what caused it, (I think it may have been that he was eating a lot of almond butter/maple syrup sandwiches and bananas at the time it started). We went to the Dr and he said to give Miralax, but I don't want to unless absolutely necessary and it's looking like I may have to. I've been giving him smoothies with flax oil, but they don't seem to help. Prunes, prune juice, pears, pear juice (we typically only drink water) increased vegetables and fiber, coconut oil. I just don't know what to do. I have been giving him Little Tummies laxative every 3 days and he'll poop. He pooped 2 days in a row a week ago on his own, it was painful, but he did, and it's now been 4 days since he pooped and I am going to have to give him a children's liquid glycerine suppository soon which will be traumatic. Any ideas/opinions?

Thanks so much

Last edited by nonniecita; 03-21-2013 at 12:47 PM.
nonniecita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
FairSailing188's Avatar
FairSailing188
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 480
My Mood:
Re: Toddler constipation, please help!


My LO gets "too busy" to poop and then gets constipated. Usually as long as I make sure to give him a probiotic every day it's not too bad; when it's been awhile (for him more than 36 hours is a LONG time) we do a full cup of undiluted prune juice. That solves the issue for us within 4 hours usually.

Have you thought about an enema? It's much less destructive than laxatives IMO and gets the job done.
__________________
Brandi, moderately crunchy WOHM mama to wild boy Cyrus 3/8/10 , sweet girl Corinne 10/24/13 and wife to DH Justin 3/22/08 .

Under normal circumstances I'd say I told you so. But, as I have told so with such vehemence and frequency already the phrase has lost all meaning. Therefore, I will be replacing it with the phrase, I have informed you thusly.
FairSailing188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
nonniecita
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,307
My Mood:
Re: Toddler constipation, please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairSailing188 View Post

My LO gets "too busy" to poop and then gets constipated. Usually as long as I make sure to give him a probiotic every day it's not too bad; when it's been awhile (for him more than 36 hours is a LONG time) we do a full cup of undiluted prune juice. That solves the issue for us within 4 hours usually.

Have you thought about an enema? It's much less destructive than laxatives IMO and gets the job done.
Thank you. That's what the Dr said he thought it was, though I'm not sure. He used to have one bm (sometimes 2 per day) and they were huge! (sorry tmi). He was always so regular, this is really killing me. I have been slacking on the probiotics and smoothies for a few days, though I made one this morning and will get back on track.

I have not done much research on enemas. I will. Why do you recommend them as opposed to laxatives?

Oh, and I meant I am going to have to give him a children's liquid glycerin suppository soon (not laxative, he's already had that today and I'm planning on the suppository tonight if he doesn't have a bm by them. )

Thanks again

Last edited by nonniecita; 03-21-2013 at 12:47 PM.
nonniecita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
FairSailing188's Avatar
FairSailing188
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 480
My Mood:
Re: Toddler constipation, please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniecita View Post
I have not done much research on enemas. I will. Why do you recommend them as opposed to laxatives?

Oh, and I meant I am going to have to give him a children's glycerin suppository soon (not laxative, he's already had that today and I'm planning on the suppository tonight if he doesn't have a bm by them. )

Thanks again
We try to limit any sort of OTC or prescribed medication unless absolutely necessary, so for me, I'd rather try and go straight to the *ahem* problem without adding something into the digestive system that might affect gut flora. However, if you can't find anything else that works, by all means go with the Miralax. I'd rather give meds than end up with my LO in pain due to constipation for too long.

HTH!
__________________
Brandi, moderately crunchy WOHM mama to wild boy Cyrus 3/8/10 , sweet girl Corinne 10/24/13 and wife to DH Justin 3/22/08 .

Under normal circumstances I'd say I told you so. But, as I have told so with such vehemence and frequency already the phrase has lost all meaning. Therefore, I will be replacing it with the phrase, I have informed you thusly.
FairSailing188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
nonniecita
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,307
My Mood:
Re: Toddler constipation, please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairSailing188 View Post
We try to limit any sort of OTC or prescribed medication unless absolutely necessary, so for me, I'd rather try and go straight to the *ahem* problem without adding something into the digestive system that might affect gut flora. However, if you can't find anything else that works, by all means go with the Miralax. I'd rather give meds than end up with my LO in pain due to constipation for too long.

HTH!
I agree, thanks.
nonniecita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
keonli's Avatar
keonli
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Real city, Family Guy state
Posts: 15,863
My Mood:
Re: Toddler constipation, please help!

We do probiotics in my house. We get ours at Whole Foods (Jarro's brand) in the refrigerated section. It works wonderfully for us.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
nonniecita
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,307
My Mood:
Re: Toddler constipation, please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli View Post
We do probiotics in my house. We get ours at Whole Foods (Jarro's brand) in the refrigerated section. It works wonderfully for us.
Thanks for your thoughts! He gets Garden of Life Raw probiotics.
nonniecita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
mrscompgeek's Avatar
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,188
Re: Toddler constipation, please help!

My daughter has chronic constipation. She is almost 4. However, she has kidney problems and kidney problems and constipation go hand in hand. If she doenst poop, its harder on her kidneys to work correctly. We give her Miralax twice a week so she doesnt get backed up. Dr said its totally fine and that its not habit forming. We also have a herbal formula from our herbalist called "LB". Its a liquid from Natures sunshine. Its a natural laxative, we do give it to her occasionally as well.
Unfortunetly for us, Miralax is the only thing that works. She is on a daily probiodic and we've tried prunes, pears, Flaxseed shakes, high fiber diet, etc. . Miralax is the only thing that works.
__________________
Shannon- Wife to my Techy hubs since 07,
SAH semi-crunchy mama to K{Oct '09} , A {Jan '12}
and Z {Aug '15}
mrscompgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
nonniecita
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,307
My Mood:
Re: Toddler constipation, please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscompgeek View Post
My daughter has chronic constipation. She is almost 4. However, she has kidney problems and kidney problems and constipation go hand in hand. If she doenst poop, its harder on her kidneys to work correctly. We give her Miralax twice a week so she doesnt get backed up. Dr said its totally fine and that its not habit forming. We also have a herbal formula from our herbalist called "LB". Its a liquid from Natures sunshine. Its a natural laxative, we do give it to her occasionally as well.
Unfortunetly for us, Miralax is the only thing that works. She is on a daily probiodic and we've tried prunes, pears, Flaxseed shakes, high fiber diet, etc. . Miralax is the only thing that works.
Thank you. The Little Tummies laxative main ingredient is senna which is the same main ingredient that's in the Nature's Sunshine product you give your little one. It is seeming to be less effective over time with my little one. Does your lo poop every day?
nonniecita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
BoyCrazy's Avatar
BoyCrazy
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: midwest
Posts: 3,190
Re: Toddler constipation, please help!

Activia yogurt! It's yummy and it works. I was horribly constipated after giving birth to my 3rd. I didn't go for 6 or 7 days, even taking stool softeners and drinking prune juice. I had stitches and a pre-existing hemorrhoid and I was terrified of what would happen when I finally went. When I ate a cup of Activia my MIL had left in my fridge, I went that day, and it wasn't even very bad. I think it's at least worth a try for your DS. Good luck!!!
__________________
Erin, SAHM of 4 adorable, smart, silly, exhausting, delightful, active boys: G 7/04, O 8/06, S 3/09, C 10/11. Married to my best friend since 4/03. Cloth diapering and loving it since May 2010!
Proud to offer beautiful, practical Lilla Rose hair accessories. Sick of the plastic claw? Try a Flexi clip instead!
www.lillarose.biz/yourprettyhair
BoyCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.