Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-30-2014, 06:41 AM   #1
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
In the world not of the world Chat Thread

I was wondering if there are moms on here who were trying to navigate the upbringing of their children while:

-limiting media
-practicing modesty in dress
-homeschooling
-having very active prayer and church life

We can have a Daily Chat thread. It would be a place to share our struggles and joys.

Advertisement

Old 10-17-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

Re: In the world not of the world Chat Thread

This will be my life in a few years I'm sure. At the moment my lol guy is 21 months old so my biggest struggle is how to keep prayer a major part of our day
greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
KumfyKozies
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Somewhere underneath my yarn and fabric hoard in the US of A
My Mood:

That's us.
KumfyKozies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greysmama View Post
This will be my life in a few years I'm sure. At the moment my lol guy is 21 months old so my biggest struggle is how to keep prayer a major part of our day

This doesn't change. lol I struggle with it daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumfyKozies View Post
That's us.
Hello there!

Looking back I was really specific with my list when I posted. Nobody will be kicked out for not meeting all the criteria.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
beachbottoms
Registered Users
seller

It is a struggle, we have to keep fighting. I struggle with keeping on a schedule, so to make the kids have quite time so I can read and pray. Time is short we have to make time for what is most important (eternal life with Jesus).
beachbottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I would love to be more this way. I was not raised in a religious home so I now severely lack in that area of my life.
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #7
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

-limit media
That's us for sure.

Practicing modesty in dress-
In my opinion yes. Although we don't wear dresses, we make sure our neck lines in clothes are higher. Skirts have shorts or leggings underneath. Shorts are almost to the knees. It's what we are comfortable with.

Homeschooling- yes, for now anyways.

Prayer- yes. Active church life-I'm working on this.

-
Old 10-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #8
KumfyKozies
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
Hello there!

One of the huge challenges this time of year: Halloween. I get that some Christians partake. That's fine for them. We choose not to simply on the grounds that it's a Pagan ritual and we are Christians and don't agree with it- much the same as we celebrate Christ's birth but we don't have a Christmas tree which is the symbol of the Pagan Yule, and we celebrate the Resurrection of Christ but don't do Easter baskets or egg hunts of the Pagan Equinox.
Our kids are fine with all this. They love what we DO celebrate, and our family never feels lacking. The problem is the judgement from others- ESPECIALLY other Christians. When they ask what our kids will be for Halloween and we say a simple, "We don't do Halloween," they instantly get defensive about why they DO and we somehow end up being called judgmental. My deep feeling is that it's defensiveness- they deep inside feel convicted of it but choose not to hear- but that's all on them! We celebrate what we celebrate and how we celebrate. It's all about how we personally have been convicted during our conversations with God about how to live our lives, and we are accountable only for ourselves. Every single year there is some form of drama aimed at us over not doing Halloween. I really truly am always excited for November 1st because that garbage stops being an issue for another 10 months.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:14 PM   #9
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbottoms View Post
It is a struggle, we have to keep fighting. I struggle with keeping on a schedule, so to make the kids have quite time so I can read and pray. Time is short we have to make time for what is most important (eternal life with Jesus).
The quiet time I sorely miss. My dh is pretty supportive and urges me go to retreats or prayer group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydawn View Post
I would love to be more this way. I was not raised in a religious home so I now severely lack in that area of my life.
My family was nominally Catholic so we have had to figure it out what it meant to us as we went along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsaremyheart View Post
-limit media
That's us for sure.

Practicing modesty in dress-
In my opinion yes. Although we don't wear dresses, we make sure our neck lines in clothes are higher. Skirts have shorts or leggings underneath. Shorts are almost to the knees. It's what we are comfortable with.

Homeschooling- yes, for now anyways.

Prayer- yes. Active church life-I'm working on this.

-
Do you have a church that you attend or are you looking for one? Or is it more about having time to be involved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumfyKozies View Post

One of the huge challenges this time of year: Halloween. I get that some Christians partake. That's fine for them. We choose not to simply on the grounds that it's a Pagan ritual and we are Christians and don't agree with it- much the same as we celebrate Christ's birth but we don't have a Christmas tree which is the symbol of the Pagan Yule, and we celebrate the Resurrection of Christ but don't do Easter baskets or egg hunts of the Pagan Equinox.
Our kids are fine with all this. They love what we DO celebrate, and our family never feels lacking. The problem is the judgement from others- ESPECIALLY other Christians. When they ask what our kids will be for Halloween and we say a simple, "We don't do Halloween," they instantly get defensive about why they DO and we somehow end up being called judgmental. My deep feeling is that it's defensiveness- they deep inside feel convicted of it but choose not to hear- but that's all on them! We celebrate what we celebrate and how we celebrate. It's all about how we personally have been convicted during our conversations with God about how to live our lives, and we are accountable only for ourselves. Every single year there is some form of drama aimed at us over not doing Halloween. I really truly am always excited for November 1st because that garbage stops being an issue for another 10 months.
Ds announced very loudly in playgroup that we don't celebrate Halloween. We did get some looks but I think people were surprised more than anything else. In the past, I have gotten into disagreements about our celebration of All Saint's Day with people who wanted to tell me what it is I believe or do etc. So I know people can get strangely heated about it. It must be the candy. As long as my kids understand the distinction I'm fine.

What I do mind about Halloween are some of the really gruesome decorations that scare my kids when we go to the store or walk in the neighborhood.

One year there was a dead baby one hanging in CVS. I had to leave. When I went back by myself to complain they had sold out.

Last edited by Agla; 10-17-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #10
KumfyKozies
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
Ds announced very loudly in playgroup that we don't celebrate Halloween. We did get some looks but I think people were surprised more than anything else. In the past, I have gotten into disagreements about our celebration of All Saint's Day with people who wanted to tell me what it is I believe or do etc. So I know people can get strangely heated about it. It must be the candy. As long as my kids understand the distinction I'm fine.

What I do mind about Halloween are some of the really gruesome decorations that scare my kids when we go to the store or walk in the neighborhood.

One year there was a dead baby one hanging in CVS. I had to leave. When I went back by myself to complain they had sold out.
Oh my word. :vomit:
A cashier at the grocery store asked DS1(then 4) what he was going to be for Halloween. He said, "I am a Christian, no a Pagan. I do not celebrate Halloween." I swear, no less than 5 people within ear shot in the check-out lanes around us got insta-offended and said, "Well I'M a Christian and *I* celebrate Halloween," and gave me grief about teaching my son it's a Pagan thing. Seriously, people, whatever happened to, 'To each his own'?