Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2014, 10:48 PM   #1
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

Early start to Christmas celebrations?

I don't love the commercialization of Christmas and the early start of that irks me slightly. But.... I love Christmas carols and crafting and am so excited to start in on everything Christmas!!

This is the first Christmas we have this year where family isn't around. We have nothing Christmas themed in the home at the moment (other than pictures of christ's life). I have been pintresting like crazy. Is it too early to bake ornaments? Lol so on my projects list:

Bake ornaments
Find a tree (second hand hopefully)
Make a wreath
Make a felt wall nativity for Greyson (ds1) to play with
Make twine ball ornaments
Make stockings from maybe sweaters?
Make a Christ centered Christmas advent calendar
Find a nativity at thrift store and paint white for my mantle.

I know a lot of mamas might think these things seem materialistic but for me they are the small decorative things I can do that bring the reason for the season to my mind and heart. I look at decorations that are simple and love to think of the simple rustic beginnings of our amazing savior.

What are you planning this holiday season? Any projects in the works?
Any projects or items you have already that just help you get in the spirit of the Christmas celebrations? I'd love to hear from you. Or am I crazy for thinking Christmas this early?

Advertisement

greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:30 PM   #2
JayneCapri
previous user names
seller

Re: Early start to Christmas celebrations?

I like to buy Christmas albums honestly. Because we are never home, and because we have yet to spend an actual holiday at home, we just don't really have a reason to put up decor. I have grand dreams of all the things I will make, buy, and crafts to do with my kiddos to get into the spirit, but until life slows down and I become a SAHM, none of those dreams will happen. So for now, I buy a few albums every year put out by some artists I like, and play them until it drives me crazy. Renditions of songs with spins by favorite artists just warm my heart and make me feel all Christmas-y.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:35 PM   #3
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLifeSize View Post
I like to buy Christmas albums honestly. Because we are never home, and because we have yet to spend an actual holiday at home, we just don't really have a reason to put up decor. I have grand dreams of all the things I will make, buy, and crafts to do with my kiddos to get into the spirit, but until life slows down and I become a SAHM, none of those dreams will happen. So for now, I buy a few albums every year put out by some artists I like, and play them until it drives me crazy. Renditions of songs with spins by favorite artists just warm my heart and make me feel all Christmas-y.

I love it! There is something magical about Christmas carols. I seriously could listen to them all year long an never get sick of them but dh would so kill me lol. *confession* when I uses to do bedtime with ds1, before dh took that time over, half my lullabies were Christmas hymns.
greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:47 AM   #4
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I hate it before Halloween but I don't mind Christmas after that. I think three weeks are just not enough to get me really into the holiday sprit. SO on that note I watched three Christmas shows yesterday on the Hallmark Channel. I love those shows.
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:45 AM   #5
JayneCapri
previous user names
seller

I want to get the hallmark channel just so I can watch all their christmas movies. November 1st really is the kick off of the christmas season... or maybe thankful season? I just wish the retail stores didn't jump on the shoving sales in your face this early.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:30 AM   #6
imnotacodfish
Registered Users
seller

I wait until the day after Thanksgiving. Sometimes that stretches until the first of December. I'm working on getting our Christmas cards printed. I'm taking my Sparks group out Wednesday to buy toys for our Operation Christmas Child boxes. I do need to find a new caroler to be my daughter in our family display.

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
imnotacodfish is offline   Reply With Quote