Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
Firerose_RCM
Registered Users
Formerly: ClothGirl21

Does anyone exercise in the pool?

I went swimming yesterday in an indoor pool and did laps for the first time. It never occurred to me that could be a form of exercise but it kicked my butt. So does anyone here use a pool for exercise regularly? What other exercises can be done in a pool?

Advertisement

Soon to be TTC #2
Firerose_RCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone exercise in the pool?

I swim for 60 minutes once a week. I tried water aerobics, but it isn't enough of a challenge for me.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

when i traveled for work, pre-LOs, I always booked a hotel w/a pool. I swam laps, and I also did regular exercises in the pool. Basically, if I could do it outside of the pool, I tried to do it in the pool. So instead of jogging out in strange neighborhoods all over the state, I would jog the pool. sounds weird, but it worked. and it kept any stress off of my knees. my DH always said it wasn't the same, but for me it was beautiful. It worked great. I was also doing tons of other exercise back then too (yoga, running, treadmill, bikes, etc).
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love the pool. I no longer have access to one, but i wish i did. You can really do anything in the pool that you would do out. Squats, lunges, standing leg lifts, ab work, etc. You will need to do more of most of them then you would on land- any exercise that the water offers Resistance you won't need to do more- but things like squats and lunges will be easier in the water. And it really sneaks up on you. It often feels very easy but you end up really sore the next day. And the absolute best thing about the water- if you spend an hour or more you reduce water weight swelling. Its something I never noticed until I was pregnant and I started swelling. After pregnancy I have paid attention and still notice a difference. not as much as when I was pregnant though. One day (while pregnant) as i was getting out of the pool i looked down at my legs and was shocked at how much smaller they were. What I though was some pregnancy weight turned out to be swelling. and hour once a week in the pool was enough to keep it at bay.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I like to do laps. I love to exercise in the pool but I hate the part where you have to get out and walk freezing cold to the shower :/. And it is always cold at my Y. My Y just started doing water zumba- it looks interesting.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:53 AM   #6
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know someone who tried water zumba. They loved it because no one could see them messing up like in the floor class.