Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-25-2016, 10:20 PM   #1
Stasia
Registered Users
seller

outside naked training

So I'm contemplating whether to start my 26m son training outside naked. The biggest reason I haven't is because I don't know exactly what I'm going to do, and I don't want to start haphazardly. The biggest reason I do want to start is because it's nice enough to be outside naked for only a short time longer and that's less accidents to clean in the house if I do a solid 3-day training.
I'm so conflicted!!
We bought a potty chair/toilet seat for better transition to indoors as well as a small plastic urinal that hangs on outside fence/ indoor toilet.

Has anyone had success with this method?? Maybe I just need encouragement!

Advertisement

Stasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:45 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: outside naked training

My son ran around naked (at least the bottom half) for a few days when he potty trained. He spent a large chunk of that time outside because it happened to be summer and great weather. He was pretty much trained in a week. The only issue was that for the first month he couldn't wear underwear and pants together. Just undies was fine, and just pants was fine, but for some reason, he could do the two together.

Anyway, so long as your son is ready to train, you can do it inside or out and it should be fine.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:49 PM   #3
w!ldandwooly
Registered Users

My sister-in-law did this. It worked for her boys. Of course, we're in Texas where it's warm until November. Lol.
w!ldandwooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:55 PM   #4
w!ldandwooly
Registered Users

Oops. Double post.

Last edited by w!ldandwooly; 08-29-2016 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Double post
w!ldandwooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:35 AM   #5
Stasia
Registered Users
seller

So he refuses to go #2 in the potty. So I started putting him in a diaper more.and more.
And same thing as the other gal, if we put undies AND pants on he was wetting constantly and not very upset about it either! We we wiped up 2 trails in one day and one of which had a liquid poo bomb in the underwear we shelved the potty for awhile.
Once I knew he needed to poop, so I kept putting him back on the potty.but he was sobbing and sobbing and returning to the changing table basically requesting a diaper. So I put one on him and he pooped and was happy. I felt terrible about his internal conflict about poop! But I didn't want him holding it in, and he was in his way communicating his need to poop.
So how do I get him to poop in his dang potty?!
Stasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:46 PM   #6
apeeling
Registered Users
seller

I used (and am still using) the book "Oh Crap, potty training"

I personally haven't needed to use these tips (DS was great with pooping but somehow had an aversion to peeing in the potty, lol) so I can't vouch for them myself.

Anyway, she says that kids like privacy when they poop and for some a diaper gives that to them. It can also feel uncomfortable to a child to poop on the potty, like a part of their body is just falling out of them. I've heard of people putting their kid in a diaper and then having them sit on the potty when they poop, then eventually cutting a hole in the pull up and having them sit on the potty, etc.

The author also mentions that if you're embarrassed by pooping your kid will pick up on it. It's a good idea to have your kid come into the bathroom with you and see you modeling going potty... realizing that sometimes it may take a while and it may be uncomfortable.

There are some other points made, I recommend seeing if you can find it at your library (I'm sure there are other good books that might be helpful as well.)

This isn't necessarily in regards to pooping, but the author recommends letting kids go commando after the first few naked days. Some kids interpret underwear as a diaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasia View Post
So he refuses to go #2 in the potty. So I started putting him in a diaper more.and more.
And same thing as the other gal, if we put undies AND pants on he was wetting constantly and not very upset about it either! We we wiped up 2 trails in one day and one of which had a liquid poo bomb in the underwear we shelved the potty for awhile.
Once I knew he needed to poop, so I kept putting him back on the potty.but he was sobbing and sobbing and returning to the changing table basically requesting a diaper. So I put one on him and he pooped and was happy. I felt terrible about his internal conflict about poop! But I didn't want him holding it in, and he was in his way communicating his need to poop.
So how do I get him to poop in his dang potty?!
apeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #7
linem24
Registered Users

I think it's a great way to start! Once they get the idea they don't have to sit in it, they don't want to go back to doing it in their pants. Some kids do get it right away with this, and some still don't mind going in their pants. Worth a try!
linem24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:54 PM   #8
ssimet
Registered Users
seller

Hope it warms up soon here in Nebraska to give this a try. He will sometimes tell us when he needs to go but mostly not. agh...... We are outisde a lot during the summer so hoping this works for our little guy.
ssimet is offline   Reply With Quote