Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2017, 09:30 PM   #1
kapoki
Registered Users
seller

3 yr old won't alert us

We potty trained our first boy at 23 months without any issues, seriously - it was smooth sailing with him. Now... Our 2nd boy is 3 years old and we tried potty training him at 24 months. We still have to direct him to the bathroom constantly. He is now starting to let us know when he needs to go and pee.

Poop is an entirely another story. He actually prefers to go into the bushes to poop in his underwear. Whenever we're outside playing and I notice him wandering off to the bushes - thats when I know he has to go. He doesn't let us know when he has to poop.

I'm starting to get quite tired and frustrated of having to clean up his poopy underwear all the time. And he does see my frustration... While I'm cleaning up, I explain to him that if he feels the need to poop, please come to me or Dad and we'll help him to the bathroom.. Dirty underwear is dirty and icky. My message seems to go into one ear and out through another ear.

Help?

Advertisement

kapoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:31 PM   #2
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: 3 yr old won't alert us

I don't have suggestions on how to change it, and I hope others do for you, but I do have a little possible insight into why this is harder. First, because bowel movements take longer and you are more vulnerable for them; if he's already not entirely comfortable on the toilet then it might be too much. Second, because using an American style toilet is not a biologically optimal position for pooping - hunkering is much easier (a la Squatty Potty discussions here, http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1624290 ), especially if he (like many children) is mildly constipated.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:20 PM   #3
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My two oldest (both boys) potty trained at 3 1/2. (It was traumatic enough for me that my third, a girl, really had to instigate her own potty training, or I never would have attempted it until I absolutely had to.) The thing that finally worked for my first was putting a jar of pennies and an empty jar in the bathroom...when he peed in the toiled he would get one penny, pooped was two, and if he went without us telling him to (even if we took him, if it was his idea first) then he got another penny. When all the pennies were moved from the first jar to the second we took him out for ice cream. It was kind of a nightmare, but he did finally get there. Good luck. It's SOOOO hard. :-(
MamaLlama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:33 PM   #4
Lindobebe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My boy potty trained at 2 years 4 months he would also go hide outside to go poo, I think he just wasnt ready yet. With my daughter she started telling me she needed to go poo before I ever started potty training with her so it was so easy one day I just told her it was time to go pee in the potty chair to and in a few days she was potty trained. I took her diapers and put them away and told her she was a big girl now and her big brother would get onto her if she wet her pants. Thankfully mine dont wet at night if they need to go they wake me up to take them pee. I did not use night time diapers once potty trained since I figured that would be confusing to them since I did not want them messing in diapers anymore
Old 05-16-2017, 01:55 PM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by twood80 View Post
I don't have suggestions on how to change it, and I hope others do for you, but I do have a little possible insight into why this is harder. First, because bowel movements take longer and you are more vulnerable for them; if he's already not entirely comfortable on the toilet then it might be too much. Second, because using an American style toilet is not a biologically optimal position for pooping - hunkering is much easier (a la Squatty Potty discussions here, http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1624290 ), especially if he (like many children) is mildly constipated.
In addition to this, have him clean it up. Also, make sure his diet has plenty of fiber and water. Too much fiber with not enough water makes it harder to poo, just as not enough fiber will cause problems.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote