Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2017, 08:55 AM   #11
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to get him to pee standing up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
I think partly because he's too little to understand the difference between pee and poop, which makes sense, and also just because there is more control sitting. Which I agree with at home, but here we're using nasty park outhouses among other public restrooms, and taking off shoes to take off pants to spread legs is just annoying! But I'll probably just keep doing it til we get home, although at some point we'll have to figure out how to keep clothes on while peeing. The whole winter lies before us!
You could do what I and make sure they know you hate public restrooms. Lol!

I swear if there us anything that can make me go into an adult temper tantrum is being forced to use a filthy one.

I had one since who would only poop naked. That made for some quick dashes home.

Advertisement

Old 09-14-2017, 09:56 AM   #12
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Is it weird that I think uncircumcised boys are easier?? We have two of each and for us it was much easier with the uncircumcised. Almost like the skin kept things from going as crazy?

My SIL taught her boys to stand on the front on the toilet seat, they leaned over and held the tank. (Her home toilet...not sure what happened in public when there wasn't a tank) That ensured they would hit the correct spot and not get it on their pants, and at the time they were too short to reach standing on the floor.

IMO peeing standing up is best taught by a man. I usually potty train the boys, and once they are comfortable with all the body functions I ask DH to teach them to go standing up. It usually just takes a couple times because they are excited to be like daddy, although I have noticed they sometimes have trouble fully emptying their bladder that way until they've had a little practice.

We usually just try to sit the kid in the potty a little further to get the right angle. There will be some mishaps along the way. Another thought since he is so little...would he go if you held him in an ec position? Like thighs to chest over the potty, like some moms do over sinks.

Last edited by jen_batten; 09-14-2017 at 10:43 AM.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #13
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Another option would be to just pick up a little potty at some store along the way and use that. The logistics are still tricky when out and about, but at least you don't have to fully undress him. Might not work for vacation, but might be easier at home at least.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #14
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
Everything is kind of tucked in/smashed down and a flick would make things not so tucked and easier to aim. I picked that trick up here somewhere along the way. Not sure if it's just a uncirc'd thing.

Must be an uncirc'd thing.
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:27 AM   #15
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

I keep a potty in my vehicle so I would just use that to answer OP's dilemma while on the road.

I have a 6 year old who won't stand up. He says he can't tell if he has to pee or poop so he sits. I find this bizarre and DH doesn't know what to make of it either.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:37 AM   #16
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
We usually just try to sit the kid in the potty a little further to get the right angle. There will be done mishaps along the way. Another thought since he odds so little...would he go if you held him in an ec position? Like thighs to chest over the potty, like some moms do over sinks.
This might work. I'll try today - we've never tried it that way. But I'd still have to de-pants right?

I do have a small potty at home that I put in the back of the car, and we have a seat insert that we brought with us, but we flew here, now have a rental car, and we're mostly hiking around Glacier, in and out of various places, so the potty insert has been inconvenient. Probably should just deal with it.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:17 AM   #17
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
I keep a potty in my vehicle so I would just use that to answer OP's dilemma while on the road.

I have a 6 year old who won't stand up. He says he can't tell if he has to pee or poop so he sits. I find this bizarre and DH doesn't know what to make of it either.
Do you think he really can't tell? Or he is uncomfortable standing up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
This might work. I'll try today - we've never tried it that way. But I'd still have to de-pants right?

I do have a small potty at home that I put in the back of the car, and we have a seat insert that we brought with us, but we flew here, now have a rental car, and we're mostly hiking around Glacier, in and out of various places, so the potty insert has been inconvenient. Probably should just deal with it.
I don't think you'd have to take them off, just make sure they are higher than his penis.

ETA a disclaimer--I haven't tried it at that age. It worked for David though when he was tiny.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:13 PM   #18
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Well.... I don't know. He is a very particular, very clean child. He is horrified at the thought of getting pee on his pants. But twice while we were outside, once with me, and once with DH, we set him up to pee standing up (meaning, we told him to and helped get his pants out of the way) and he actually did poop instead of pee. He was horrified and I was too. DH kept calm and did the best he could. They were way out in the woods. Lol. L was super young when it happened with DH though. I'm surprised he even remembers that one.

So I believe him that he didn't know the difference at one time but I wonder if it's just an ingrained habit now?
Old 09-14-2017, 12:20 PM   #19
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
Well.... I don't know. He is a very particular, very clean child. He is horrified at the thought of getting pee on his pants. But twice while we were outside, once with me, and once with DH, we set him up to pee standing up (meaning, we told him to and helped get his pants out of the way) and he actually did poop instead of pee. He was horrified and I was too. DH kept calm and did the best he could. They were way out in the woods. Lol. L was super young when it happened with DH though. I'm surprised he even remembers that one.

So I believe him that he didn't know the difference at one time but I wonder if it's just an ingrained habit now?
I had that happen with one of the bonus kids once. He has intestinal issues and it was sort of a nightmare for all involved!
Old 09-17-2017, 09:54 PM   #20
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

We are back home and it's supposed to be HOT this week here, so I think we'll spend it outside learning to pee in "other positions", specifically, standing up, and maybe into a cup or bottle. We have to figure out how to do it with clothes on soon too, but maybe we'll wait for cooler weather for that.

Thanks for all the tips and/or understanding anyway!
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote