Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #1
kadiera
Registered Users

My Mood:
diarrhea as a sign of allergy?

DS is 7 months old (4 months adjusted), still in the NICU, and has had chronic diarrhea the last several months - ever since he switched from 24 calorie enfamil "elecare" to 22 calorie similac "neosure". He had some issues previous to the switch, which we thought were related to some of the supplements they were giving him, but it got drastically worse after the switch, and then even more so as I ran out of milk and he was getting more formula than breastmilk. We're talking runny/slimy/icky diapers every couple of hours, all day long.

Because of this (and a bout of pneumonia that got treated with massive antibiotics, so it's probably partly a yeast problem) he's had terrible diaper rash off and on since October. Some nurses are good at slathering him in cream and changing him right away, others not so much - and even one diaper that sits too long is enough to leave him with raw spots.

I convinced his doctors to switch his formula early last week to see if that helped. He's finally jumped up the growth curve enough that he's "normal" in height and weight (still around 25th percentile, but we'll take that since he was below the 3rd percent when he was born). So we've switched him to regular enfamil, and sure enough, within about 4 days, the diarrhea was gone.

Now I find myself wondering....is there something we need to be watching for him to be allergic to? Is it all similac formulas, or just the neosure? And how do I figure it out without changing formulas over and over again?

Right now the plan is that his doctors have written his order so that he can only have the enfamil formula, even when they switch brands on the unit. But that doesn't rule out anything else that might be going on.

Advertisement

Old 01-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
eileenAKAmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: diarrhea as a sign of allergy?

The raw spots... oh yes, we get that and LO is allergic to a lot. Usually depending on insurance they will not do allergy testing until they are one. My LO was on Nutramigen until October, and once we stopped formula completely, he has gotten a tad better.

I am sorry you are going through this!

*hugs*
Old 01-20-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: diarrhea as a sign of allergy?

Really the only way to see about an allergy between the two would be to compare labels and ingredients.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote